UNT women’s basketball team to be without three early in season

Harry

I swung by the opening day of practice for the UNT womens basketball team today with the idea that I would pick up some material for Wednesdays paper. Tuesday is the day we run a big chunk of our Dan McCarney press conference news and notes.

You know what they say about well-laid plans.

There were a couple of key notes I needed to get in tomorrow and mention on the blog tonight after talking with head coach Mike Petersen.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/09/unt-womens-basketball-team-to-be-without-three-early-in-season.html/

And people tend to post sarcastic comments like " how are they going to feed their kids" and think it is funny. Me, I don't think it funny or anything to joke around about. Having kids is serious business, and kids need positive and supportive parents. Probably the easiest situation to get into and the toughest one to handle for the next so many years.

• Upvote 4

not to sound heartless.......but if she got pregnant and can't work out and couldn't play.......to she still receive a year's worth of schooling for free? I had the GI Bill in my corner but if I didn't pass a class I would have to pay it back (not sure how that works now).

Having a child in November and "maybe" coming back late December means what.......she won't play at all? I doubt very much that her body would be able to cope with Division I basketball a mere 2 months about popping out a kid.

Sorry rant over...

Seriously? I am amazed at how many of our college athletes already have kids.

Fixed.

not to sound heartless.......but if she got pregnant and can't work out and couldn't play.......to she still receive a year's worth of schooling for free? I had the GI Bill in my corner but if I didn't pass a class I would have to pay it back (not sure how that works now).

Having a child in November and "maybe" coming back late December means what.......she won't play at all? I doubt very much that her body would be able to cope with Division I basketball a mere 2 months about popping out a kid.

Sorry rant over...

Would you feel the same if she had been walking around at the mall and tripped and broken her leg? Still had nothing to do with BB and her career at UNT and would have kept her from playing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fixed.

Would you feel the same if she had been walking around at the mall and tripped and broken her leg? Still had nothing to do with BB and her career at UNT and would have kept her from playing.

One can't always foresee the hazards that might result in breaking a leg. I'm pretty sure everyone is aware how babies are made and how to prevent that from happening so I'm not so sure your analogy works in this case.

(I don't had an opinion about this particular person or whether athletes should have a scholarship pulled)

• Upvote 3

One can't always foresee the hazards that might result in breaking a leg. I'm pretty sure everyone is aware how babies are made and how to prevent that from happening so I'm not so sure your analogy works in this case.

(I don't had an opinion about this particular person or whether athletes should have a scholarship pulled)

Point is that she could have had any injury caused by any number of personal decisions that could have kept her out of play. Would any of those situations cause this kind of reaction?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Point is that she could have had any injury caused by any number of personal decisions that could have kept her out of play. Would any of those situations cause this kind of reaction?

Maybe, especially if it was something that is likely to cause harm. Like getting drunk and jousting on bicycles or jumping from an upper floor into a pool or other activities that are more likely to result in injuries and are avoidable.
  • Upvote 2

What about punching through a glass window and messing your hand up for several weeks??

If you don't remember, we had a player do that several years ago, that came back to help lead us to a SBC tournament title.

Edited by CMJ

So, UNT90...is this the HC's fault? You know, because according to station UNT90 only HC's are held to any standards of behavior.

You know, head coach is responsible for all behavior..both on and off the court. So, let's hear the spin from It'sUNT and it's all bad radio station UNT90 on this one. Tune in folks, the fantasy show is about to begin.....again!

Hey, it's fun to poke the bear once in awhile...I'm on an airplane and bored!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So, UNT90...is this the HC's fault? You know, because according to station UNT90 only HC's are held to any standards of behavior.

You know, head coach is responsible for all behavior..both on and off the court. So, let's hear the spin from It'sUNT and it's all bad radio station UNT90 on this one. Tune in folks, the fantasy show is about to begin.....again!

Hey, it's fun to poke the bear once in awhile...I'm on an airplane and bored!

Only if the father was a Benford coaches player.

They wouldn't know what to do if they were playing for more than a minute or two at a time.

I don't think we should yank their scholarships.... I'd be in favor of making them wear scarlet colored numbers on their jerseys though.

The big "A", huh? Twisted, but I like where you are going with this. Very high brow in a literary sense!

Maybe, especially if it was something that is likely to cause harm. Like getting drunk and jousting on bicycles or jumping from an upper floor into a pool or other activities that are more likely to result in injuries and are avoidable.

So, tying all of this back together, are you saying that sex is likely to cause harm? You may be living in a very Grey world if that is the case.

So, tying all of this back together, are you saying that sex is likely to cause harm? You may be living in a very Grey world if that is the case.

No, but a likely result of sex without birth control is pregnancy. Which will cause a female athlete to be unable to compete in her sport for a period of time.
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry you can't see the difference in those two situations.

I see the difference, but I just don't think that the reaction here is fair. If she was out for a different personal choice, there would not be the same response. As was mentioned before, we had a player put his hand through a glass door a few years ago. I don't recall anyone suggesting that we pull his scholarship. We had a receiver injured after putting himself in a bad position and running from a dog, no mention of pulling a scholarship. See any parallels? We had people make personal decisions that held them out of games and we don't want to pull their scholarships. She is out for a different personal decision and she should just be kicked off the team? None of the mentioned parties are blameless for their decisions and they were all not good decisions, but I don't see how this one should have a drastically different result.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2