Texas State 42, University of Wyoming 21 - FINAL

Boko Dweller

Put me in the camp that thinks this win for Texas State is great for them, but really bad for the rest of non-AQ teams, especially those of in CUSA in Texas. I want Texas State, UTSA, UTEP, and Rice to lose as many games as possible, just like I hope that for SMU and UH. Them losing only helps us--just as our losing has easily helped the rest of them over all these years. Even winning in the SBC never gave us too much help on the recruiting front because of those opponents perceived weakness and our albatross known as Fouts. Now, if we have a bowl season and finish ahead of most or all of those other non-AQ Texas teams, that SHOULD be huge for our recruiting and for attendance/support. Watching Texas State beat Wyoming on the road, doesn't help with that.

Texas State is kind of unique in a sense that it is like UNT--a college town that is not far from a huge city in Austin, where the big draw is another team (here its multiuple pro teams), but they have a beautiful area to recruit to and a lot of potential to recruit on for their future. But, just as it was for UNT for all those years as teh lone Texas SBC team, recruiting kids to play for you that don't get to play other Texas schools in a league that is thought of as a glorified FCS league (even if its not true) is gonna be tough. Coach Fran helps with that, which was a nice hire fire by Texas State--they avoided the problem we continually made by hiring guys who had never proven themselves as collegiate head coaches before landing the UNT head coaching job.

• Upvote 1

Dan McCarney has loyalty to this program until a bigger paycheck comes around, and anyone that thinks it is any different for head coaches at other schools on our level are being naïve. The ONLY case where this rule may not apply is in the case of coaches at their alma mater, or if the coach thinks they have a good team that's about to take off and they stick around to try and get a better offer the next year (Cristobal).

EDIT: Although I value loyalty, I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing...for a coach to get better offers and move up it means they accomplished something positive. If Mccarney moves on, he will have left us in a much better place than when he got here.

Because of his age, fair or not, I think this is McCarney's last port of call as a head coach. Schools tend to seek younger blood...

...unless you are talking about FIU's AD and his mindnumbing decision to dump Mario Cristobal for Ron Turner.

Hmmm....Texas State is 3-1

They beat Southern Miss 22-15 Southern Miss lost their other 3 games 56-13, 24-3, & 60-7.

They beat Prarie View A & M 28-3. Prarie Veiw A&M ............well they beat Prarie View A&M

They lost to Texas Tech 33-7. Tech was ranked 25th at the time.

They beat Wyoming 42-21. A good home win.

After reading some of the posts, I'm surprised they're not ranked. (JOKE)

Apples to apples:

Fran went 4-8 last year with #20 L Tech the only ranked team they played. (lost to UTSA)

Mac also went 4-8 playing #3 LSU & #15 K St.

We played 6 bowl teams plus an 8-4 M.Tenn.(5 of the 7 on the road)

The grass always seems greener over someone else's septic tank.

Coach Fran is a good coach. So is Coach Mac.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 3

Put me in the camp that thinks this win for Texas State is great for them, but really bad for the rest of non-AQ teams, especially those of in CUSA in Texas. I want Texas State, UTSA, UTEP, and Rice to lose as many games as possible, just like I hope that for SMU and UH. Them losing only helps us--just as our losing has easily helped the rest of them over all these years. Even winning in the SBC never gave us too much help on the recruiting front because of those opponents perceived weakness and our albatross known as Fouts. Now, if we have a bowl season and finish ahead of most or all of those other non-AQ Texas teams, that SHOULD be huge for our recruiting and for attendance/support. Watching Texas State beat Wyoming on the road, doesn't help with that.

At some point we need to start counting on the success of North Texas being what makes or breaks us, not hoping we “suck less” than the other Texas schools.

• Upvote 3

Don't discount what your own coach is doing. Fran's system is VERY one deminsional unless you have all the right pieces... and if you don't, he still runs it anyways (see USM, PVA&M, and Tech)

Fortunately, I think we've found our own Johnny Manziel that fits perfectly in our system - he's a dual threat 3A state champ out of Stephenville who has a beautiful throw, yet is very quick on his feet. Once Fran burned his redshirt on Sat, the whole atmosphere changed. The offense "got it" and we dominated most of the game.

Btw - really enjoyed watching y'all agaisnt Georgia... pulling for you the rest of the way!

Edited by YouCanUseaMint
  • Upvote 4

Because of his age, fair or not, I think this is McCarney's last port of call as a head coach. Schools tend to seek younger blood...

...unless you are talking about FIU's AD and his mindnumbing decision to dump Mario Cristobal for Ron Turner.

I tend to agree with that thought, unless the next school is in Iowa, or at least in that general area. K State will probably open up soon, and cash is king for most. If he does go elsewhere, I would guess that would mean that he did VERY well here, so I wouldn't cry too much about it.

Edited by foutsrouts

I tend to agree with that thought, unless the next school is in Iowa, or at least in that general area. K State will probably open up soon, and cash is king for most. If he does go elsewhere, I would guess that would mean that he did VERY well here, so I wouldn't cry too much about it.

KSU would be tough and I don't think Mac would want that job but I could be wrong. I think Iowa would be a very tough one to turn down if they wanted him.

At some point we need to start counting on the success of North Texas being what makes or breaks us, not hoping we suck less than the other Texas schools.

You are right, but beating good teams is what makes us perceived as good. Hoping teams on our schedule lose is stupid. We want them to win and be good and then beat them. We want to ultimately beat whoever we play whenever we play them whatever their record is. Beating weak teams does not make us better. Battling, beating and competing with the best the ncaa has to offer creates buzz excitement and brings attention to the program. Edited by MeanMag

You are right, but beating good teams is what makes us perceived as good. Hoping teams on our schedule lose is stupid. We want them to win and be good and then beat them. We want to ultimately beat whoever we play whenever we play them whatever their record is. Beating weak teams does not make us better. Battling, beating and competing with the best the ncaa has to offer creates buzz excitement and brings attention to the program.

I agree with you.

Except for UTSA.

I hope they lose every game by 70.

I don't know if you have personal reasons for saying that, but they are in our conference. I was hoping they could have beat houston.

Well documented, earned nothing, given everything, only in CUSA because of a market, everything that is wrong with college football reasons.

Other than that, nothing in particular.

Southwest Texas St. needs to jump to CUSA or is the SBC better?

Since we were left out, I think our admin wants to take after TCU and their success in the MWC. If we can get our fans rallied around a program because of winning, not because of who we are playing, then the rest should work itself out. Personally I'm liking the Sun Belt and being in the southeast - the WAC was far too distant for me as a fan

Ultimately we're all in the same hole. Whether we're Texas State, UNT, SMU - we're all Texans on the outside looking in. I've got no problem talking about other Texas teams on our board - we don't need to be a-holes who are only paying attention to our team.

The only way we get anywhere is by working together - UNT and SMU have figured that out (conferences aside - SMU would have no boosters left if they allowed us in the some conference).

As far as Mac vs. Fran - Texas State was willing to take a BIG risk hiring him. We already had problems on the horizon with the NCAA (grad rates, etc.) which Mac has done an AWESOME job addressing.

And as far as RV - Four conference championships, two dances, baseball and a new stadium makes him the most successful AD in our history.Sometimes even the greatest have down years, but RV has taken us quite far from where we were.

Now when we get our perennial football attendance woes addressed and fixed, then that is when I'll be the first in line to contribute toward a statue to be erected in RV's honor because (quite frankly) that is the one thing (other than too few wins) that will keep our football program barefoot and pregnant if we don't solve that problem and soon would not be soon enough.

Attendance shortfalls at North Texas will be the final frontier for our leadership to provide a formula to conquer. that is, it will be the final Big Challenge at U of North Texas that so few athletic regimes in our past have wanted to have a face to face encounter. Why is that? In all fairness, I think because it's just too big for one department most likely and that is why the UNT Prez' and his BOR's should be willing partners with AD Rick V and the UNT athletic dept. to fix our football attendance. More annual TV appearances (some even nationally like the one in just 30 days) at Apogee and our Mean Green football team as the star attraction even more reason to git'er fixed soon.

As I look into the NCAA re-alignment (which for the G5 will apparently always be around) and even ability to schedule the Big Boys at home crystal ball, it is so easy to see how UTSA will have choices that North Texas simply won't have largely because even in their Year 1 they came out of their turnstiles starting blocks smoking while drawing more fans than SMU, UH and UNT and getting national attention while doing so as our alma mater, well, uh..........................and just how has your family been of late?

Still..........why we making a mountain out this attendance thing every year in what should really be a mole hill, especially with our humongous UNT home base and entire UNT DFW constituency? This should be a slam dunk, quite frankly.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Attendance has always been a problem.

We need to get past denial. UNT needs help to fill the stadium. Winning alone won't do it. Sorry, that's how it is.

How many fans from other schools show up at Apogee?

Pretty much none unless it's a local school. Idaho, Ball State, nor the Sunbelt ever brought more than a few fans.

The 2 largest crowds I've seen this millennium were Baylor at Fouts and Houston at Apogee.

We bring 14,000 - 20,000 fans to most games. That's the base.

CUSA should help.

UTEP, UTSA, and Rice should add 4,000 - 8,000 to that total for their games.

• Upvote 1

Attendance has always been a problem.

We need to get past denial. UNT needs help to fill the stadium. Winning alone won't do it. Sorry, that's how it is.

How many fans from other schools show up at Apogee?

Pretty much none unless it's a local school. Idaho, Ball State, nor the Sunbelt ever brought more than a few fans.

The 2 largest crowds I've seen this millennium were Baylor at Fouts and Houston at Apogee.

We bring 14,000 - 20,000 fans to most games. That's the base.

CUSA should help.

UTEP, UTSA, and Rice should add 4,000 - 8,000 to that total for their games.

You are right....we "NEVER" could use that old SWC home game windfall of 10,000 plus traveling fans coming to any of our home games since we were never part of that conference. Those in the old SWC who had that luxury should have used that same luxury to build their own fan bases. It seems some did--but it is very evident that some did not.

Best case scenario is when we put 31,000 North Texas fans into Apogee (most do-able for those with "can do") and tell our opponent's fans...."sorry, but you will have to watch the game at a local sports bar."

Almost funny (or moreso uncanny) how we could travel almost 20,000 fans down to UT-Austin back in the day and then not have many of that group come back to our campus on Game Days today.. Some of you have told me the same about our "NO's Bowl Game alums/fans" where it might be said they only showed up for those 4 bowl games last decade and haven't been seen since?

1960_p153_football.jpg

Other Fouts Field Memories With Crowd Shots:

http://www.meangreenmap.com/fouts.html#

Where are many of these North Texas fans in the above (filled) Fouts Field student section pic today? There are similar "filled student section" shots during the Mean Joe Greene era, too. Where are they, too? (And no "they're in Greenwood Memorial Cemetery responses, please)." :(:)

NOTE: Notice in this pic that some UNT students are sitting in the grass area of Fouts Field.

Yet all of the above pictured UNT fans had kids, grand-kids, great grand-kids, etc...Surely the Mean Green bloodlines would continue on down their lineage in size-able numbers?

UNT had about 6,000(?) enrollment back in 1960 when this picture was taken)

The North Texas player wearing solid green (or black in this pic) is NCAA Division One All American Abner Haynes, of course.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Of course he'd listen to anyone who called. But Mac wouldn't necessarily be calling any Big 12 with an opening. Maybe some, but not all. Which is the real difference between the two.

Whenever you have to make the call to a school with an opening, you really have no shot at the job. The have identified the top candidates before the firing ever happens, at least at programs like those in the Big 12.

Don't believe me? Ask Greg Popovich, who, according to rumor, made a call on behalf Danny Kaspar to our AD after JJ left. The call was never returned. Better or worse, RV already had his list of candidates.

Edited by UNT90