DT climbs the charts

Among NT QBs at the Division I-A/FBS level, Thompson is now:

Passing Attempts
1. Steve Ramsey: 1,015
2. Giovanni Vizza: 876
3. Scott Hall: 784
4. Derek Thompson: 765 (needs 27.8 attempts per game to pass Ramsey...it could happen; 12.4 to supplant Vizza at #2...it'll happen)

Passes Completed
1. Giovanni Vizza: 532
2. Steve Ramsey: 491
3. Derek Thompson: 457 (needs to complete 8.4 per game to pass Vizza...barring injury, it'll happen)

Passing Efficiency
1. Scott Hall: 132.26
2. Derek Thompson: 126.1

Touchdown Passes
1. Steve Ramsey: 69
2. Scott Hall: 50
3. (T) Giovanni Vizza: 32
3. (T) Jason Mills: 32
5. Derek Thompson: 31 (needs 4.3 per game to surpass Ramsey; 2.2 to supplant Hall at #2)

Passing Yards
1. Steve Ramsey: 7,076
2. Scott Hall: 5.975
3. Derek Thompson: 5,369 (needs 189.7 per game to pass Ramsey...it could happen)

Completion Percentage

1. Riley Dodge: 64.7%

2. Jordan Case: 61.6%
3. Giovanni Vizza: 60.7%

4. Derek Thompson: 59.7% (can probably catch Case and Vizza)

Career 200 Yard Passing Games
1. Steve Ramsey: 20
2. Giovanni Vizza: 15
3. Derek Thompson: 14 (will probably pass Vizza; has an outside shot at getting past Ramsey)

Career 300 Yard Passing Games
1. Steve Ramsey: 6
2. Derek Thompson: 5 (this one is doable)

Career Total Offense (Passing + Rushing)
1. Steve Ramsey: 6,568
2. Scott Hall: 6,440
3. Giovanni Vizza: 5,631
4. Derek Thompson: 5,601 (will pass Vizza versusu Georgia; needs 107.5 per game to pass Ramsey)

Dajon Williams will have his work cut out for him over the next four seasons (yes...please redshirt him now, Coach McCarney!) ;)

• Upvote 3

How would we go about redshirting DW since he already played? Maybe fake an injury or something, but burning his redshirt still makes no sense, especially after Mac still went with Mcnulty after DT had to come out on Saturday.

I too hope we can find a way to redshirt him still.

Speaking of DT coming out, do we have any word on what was wrong and if he is ok to play on Saturday?

How would we go about redshirting DW since he already played? Maybe fake an injury or something, but burning his redshirt still makes no sense, especially after Mac still went with Mcnulty after DT had to come out on Saturday.

Didn't you seen that knee brace? Clearly nursing an injury ;)

Speaking of DT coming out, do we have any word on what was wrong and if he is ok to play on Saturday?

Said his thumb "locked up" on him for a while. It was a cramp. Trainers worked it out and he's as good as new.

This. This is puzzling. I guess Mac thinks McNulty gives him a better chance to win? Or, did he know Thompson would be OK and decided to inject a running threat (we know lil' Mac can run) for a series or two until Thompson got back in?

Said his thumb "locked up" on him for a while. It was a cramp. Trainers worked it out and he's as good as new.

This. This is puzzling. I guess Mac thinks McNulty gives him a better chance to win? Or, did he know Thompson would be OK and decided to inject a running threat (we know lil' Mac can run) for a series or two until Thompson got back in?

FFR and I were sitting behind the parents of one of the defensive starters. When some people around us groaned about McNulty going in, the father turned around and with a big smile said "not to worry, this kid's got game".

I too hope we can find a way to redshirt him stil

He needs to has some sort of medical issue that keeps him from playing in more than 30% of the teams' total games. The latter part, we can nail. Now...if we can just find an injury :D

Passing Attempts
3. Derek Thompson: 801 (needs 26.8 attempts per game to pass Ramsey...it could happen; 9.4 to supplant Vizza at #2...it'll happen)

Passes Completed
2. Steve Ramsey: 491
3. Derek Thompson: 478 (needs to complete 6.8 per game to pass Vizza...barring injury, it'll happen)

Passing Efficiency

2. Riley Dodge: 125.71
3. Derek Thompson: 125.3

Touchdown Passes
3. (T) Giovanni Vizza: 32
3. (T) Jason Mills: 32
3. (T) Derek Thompson: 32 (needs 4.7 per game to surpass Ramsey; 2.3 to supplant Hall at #2)

Passing Yards
3. Derek Thompson: 5,571 (needs 188.2 per game to pass Ramsey...it could happen)

Completion Percentage

4. Derek Thompson: 59.7% (can probably catch Case and Vizza)

2. (T) Giovanni Vizza: 15
2. (T) Derek Thompson: 15 (will probably pass Vizza; has an outside shot at getting past Ramsey)

1. Steve Ramsey: 6
2. Derek Thompson: 5 (this one is doable)

3. Derek Thompson: 5,797 (needs 96.4 per game to pass Ramsey)

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

• 2 weeks later...

Passing Attempts
3. Derek Thompson: 843 (needs 24.6 attempts per game to pass Ramsey)

Passes Completed
2. Derek Thompson: 507

Passing Efficiency

2. Riley Dodge: 125.71
3. Derek Thompson: 125.5

Touchdown Passes
3. Derek Thompson: 34 (needs 5+ per game to surpass Ramsey; 2.3 to supplant Hall at #2)

Passing Yards
3. Derek Thompson: 5,897 (needs 168.5 per game to pass Ramsey)

Completion Percentage

4. Derek Thompson: 60.1% (can probably catch Case and Vizza)

2. Derek Thompson: 16 (has a outside shot at getting past Ramsey)

1. (T) Steve Ramsey: 6
1. (T) Derek Thompson: 6 (one more game)

3. Derek Thompson: 6,142 (needs 60.9 per game to pass Ramsey)

• Upvote 3

I just don't put much into these stats that compare eras --

There are so many short yardage, horizontal dink and dunk pass plays now that it's hard to compare them to say the Steve Ramsay era when you had more vertical types of pass plays down the field.

I just don't put much into these stats that compare eras --

There are so many short yardage, horizontal dink and dunk pass plays now that it's hard to compare them to say the Steve Ramsay era when you had more vertical types of pass plays down the field.

Not only that, and correct me if I'm wrong, we now play 12 games each season, compared to 10 during Ramsey's tenure. And, wasn't Ramsey a JC transfer, not a 5th year senior. Apples and oranges?

Still I can appreciate DT's numbers.

• Upvote 2

Ramsey was 1967-69, three seasons. And, you're right, it isn't apples to apples. Ramsey was throwing to 1st Team All-Conference receivers Barry Moore and Ron Shanklin in 68 and 69, and 2nd Team All-Conference receivers Shanklin and James Russell in 1967.

Ramsey's offensive line also included Willie Parker and Glen Holloway, who would have a nice runs in the NFL.

Please name me the NFL talent that Derek Thompson has had in front of him and and wideout since he's been here. Is it worth mentioning who was on the Mean Green defense when Ramsey was there? Guys who stiffled many opponents before going onto NFL careers themselves in Joe Greene, Cedric Hardman, Lenny Dunlap. Chuck Beattie, and Tom Gipson?

If you ask me, what Thompson has done is equally, if not more, impressive because he has never had the type of talent surrounding him that Steve Ramsey had. Not to take anything away from Steve Ramsey. But, look at what both quarterbacks had to work with during each tenure.

North Texas:

1967: 7-1-1, 16.4 points per game given up, defense holds opponents to 14 or less 5 of the nine games

1968: 8-2-0, 18.4 points per game given up, defense holds opponents to 17 or less 6 of the 10 games, four under 14

1969: 7-3-0, 17.4 points per game given up defense holds opponents to 17 or less 7 of the 10 games (again), with five under 14

During the 29 games 1967-1969, the seasons Ramsey started at North Texas, the defense held opponents to 17 or less points 18 times! In 14 or those 18, the opponents were held to 14 or less!

The fact is, not only did Steve Ramsey have better receivers and a better line than Derek Thompson has ever had, the other side of the ball kept Ramsey from having to play comeback all the time. Derek Thompson has never had the luxury of a great defense that Steve Ramsey had.

Derek Thompson, barring injury will also have started for three full seasons, 2011-2013. Thusfar, and coincidentally for the sake of this discussion, North Texas had played in 29 games during that time span. The defenses have held opponents to under 17 only seven times, six of those under 14.

So, you are correct. It is apples and oranges. Steve Ramsey compiled his statistics on squads that were much better than the ones Derek Thompson has played on. Both quarterbacks are impressive. I don't see how anyone looks at the situations the two had as starters and believes what Thompson is accomplishing isn't impressive.

(And, it's equally depressing to look back and see how great those North Texas team of old were compared to what many of us in younger generations have seen!)

• Upvote 1

Didn't Steve Ramsey play in the NFL for a few years? DT won't sniff the NFL.

Yes, he did. Mostly played second string QB (he was slow as molasses, but had a rocket arm and good receivers like Shanklin). What makes you think DT won't sniff the NFL...there has already been some interest in him. He'll get a look-see for sure.

• Upvote 1