Incase you missed the Bizarre ending late last night

NT03

No fumble. freeze-frame at the 00:10 mark, the QB definitely kneels and then places the ball on the ground for the Umpire to spot while the team reassembles. Whistle blew at the correct moment. ASU should have been charged with delay of game, which is done on infrequent occasions when teams flagrantly ignore whistles and continue play knowing the ball is already dead, especially when possible clock manipulation is at stake.

They were trying to center the ball for the Field Goal. The Referee is to blame here as he did not stop the clock to set the ball. But the QB should have taken the snap, moved where he wanted. Kneel and hand the ball to the official.

They were trying to center the ball for the Field Goal. The Referee is to blame here as he did not stop the clock to set the ball. But the QB should have taken the snap, moved where he wanted. Kneel and hand the ball to the official.

By itself, clock stoppage shouldn't happen (it's a running play). They shouldn't have allowed the ASU tactic of delaying the Umpire from spotting the ball.

The refs definitely blew that one. Regardless if his knee was down or not, though apparent from Texas Stranger's link it was, the refs blew the whistle. The play is dead at that point. They screwed the pooch on resetting the ball. If the ASU players got in the way, then penalty. That is inexcusable. I wonder what actions, if any, will result with the officiating crew.

Should have added, it doesn't matter if he kneeled or not. If the ball touches the ground while the ball carrier has control, it is down. The ground can not force a fumble. Any way you look at it, total screw job.

Wrong. The ground CAN cause a fumble. Announcers are always technically wrong when they say it can't.

I would like to know how the ground can cause a fumble since that would make the carrier technically down.

I say that was a fumble and that the Sun Devils recovered it, but the refs should have spotted the ball instead of standing around.

In the NFL a runner falls down by himself and the ball pops out ... that's a fumble. In college, a runner loses his balance and uses his hand with ball to reach down and get his balance. When the ball touches the ground he loses his grip and it's a fumble regardless if he's touched by a defender or not.

You're right that it should have been a fumble except for two things. Before he puts the ball down he starts to kneel down and I'm not sure if he actually got his knee all the way down tot he ground. The other point is the idea that he "gave himself up" which is debatable.

I believe the quarterback screwed up by not being deliberate in his kneel down so there would be no confusion. The refs messed up by not being decisive in the call and taking so long to spot the ball.

I believe the quarterback screwed up by not being deliberate in his kneel down so there would be no confusion. The refs messed up by not being decisive in the call and taking so long to spot the ball.

Agree with the sentiment - QB should be deliberate - but the NCAA rules book says QB only has to "simulate" putting knee down and the ref can blow the whistle.

I just read that and it really struck me. Why would they leave so much wiggle room for interpretation?

Agree with the sentiment - QB should be deliberate - but the NCAA rules book says QB only has to "simulate" putting knee down and the ref can blow the whistle.

I just read that and it really struck me. Why would they leave so much wiggle room for interpretation?

Good catch on what the rule book says. While the QB would have been better to be more deliberate he did follow the rules. The officials spotting the ball really goofed and should have stopped the clock. I bet the ASU coaches were screaming at their players to fall on the ball and cause a delay. If I was a Wisconsin fan I'd be sick. I think last season or the season before they lost two games on last second touchdown passes. They must feel snake bit.