CBS Sports Upset Picks

MeanGreen61

but, this is great news! I am glad that even a big win against a not so good team is giving us some positive pub. We haven't had that much of it.

I've seen a few little one offs about us while watching games this weekend. Can't remember which game I was watching on FS1, but they had a graphic called something like "Rise of the North" talking about Northern Iowa's win, North Carolina, North Texas, etc as an example.

With how much more coverage CUSA gets than the SBC, which is still little, at least it's something. If we get an 8 or 9 win year, people are going to know about it in this conference.

But wait.. according to some beating a team like Idaho won't matter... we need to beat a bigger opponent. Its amazing how much positive talk there has been this week. As I have referenced many times before wins is what matters for this program at this point. Who gives a flip if its against Texas Southern, Idaho, you name it.

Wins create excitement ( I will now make my usual "follow Kansas State's plan" statement).

• Upvote 2

But wait.. according to some beating a team like Idaho won't matter... we need to beat a bigger opponent. Its amazing how much positive talk there has been this week. As I have referenced many times before wins is what matters for this program at this point. Who gives a flip if its against Texas Southern, Idaho, you name it.

Wins create excitement ( I will now make my usual "follow Kansas State's plan" statement).

While I agree with you that this program needs to win, the thinking that beating patsies will create buzz and fill Apogee is crazy talk. Beating someone that matters is what matters to the casual fan.

Also, it's nice to be an upset pick. It woulda been nicer if the pick wasn't made by an Alzheimer's patient.

• Upvote 2

I just can't understand why we can't be called 'North Texas'. Having been on Campus when it was NTSU, then UNT, I find calling ourselves North Texas a happy medium. I blame this on myself, or Parents, since the Name Change back in '88 was on my 20th Birthday. :rolleyes1:

Edited by NTSUEagle
  • Upvote 3

It was so nice to see him get corrected by another announcer. Yes, some TV commentators really do know our name and actually are will to say it.

Now if the choice is win a game and be called North Texas State or lose, I'll take the win.

The guy who corrected him was also unsure, calling us "north Texas" instead of "The University of North Texas."

Maybe if we win they will get it right.

• Upvote 2

I just can't understand why we can't be called 'North Texas'. Having been on Campus when it was NTSU, then UNT, I find calling ourselves North Texas a happy medium. I blame this on myself, or Parents, since the Name Change back in '89 was on my 21st Birthday. :rolleyes1:

In my day, it was NTSC :hair:

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 2

There is nothing wrong with North Texas! I went to NTSU and UNT but I don't have insecurity issues, and have the need to feel butt hurt if they put a state in there. As long as they talk about us I am happy, if we win enough they will get right.

There is nothing wrong with North Texas! I went to NTSU and UNT but I don't have insecurity issues, and have the need to feel butt hurt if they put a state in there. As long as they talk about us I am happy, if we win enough they will get right.

I only went to unt, but don't care what they call us as long as we win.
  • Upvote 2

C'mon man the dude is old. Honestly, we just have to wait about 10 more years until all those guys die and retire and well never hear north texas state again.

Don't know dude. I'm 51 and still wear my NTSU ring with pride. I hope you are not wishing my death in the next 10 years.

But, I tell people I went to North Texas them give them the history of the name changes. Why don't I make friends that aren't North Texas grads?

• Upvote 1