UNT with the 8th most experienced team in FBS

outoftown

according to phil steele UNT brings back the 8th most experienced team in FBS this year.

here the experience rankings of all of our opponents

Idaho (120)

Ohio (39)

Ball State (77)

Georgia (61)

Tulane (47)

MTSU (31)

La Tech (126)

Southern Miss (101)

Rice (2)

UTEP (104)

UTSA (3)

Tulsa (84)

Interestingly we are also playing 2 teams with even more experience (Rice and by default, UTSA)

but some other teams we play bring very little experience on top of new coaches, namely southern miss (101st), Idaho (120th), UTEP (104th) and La-tech which combines a new coach with the least experience among players in all the country. That ought to put them at some serious disadvantage.

also interesting: the breakdown of the two deeps into class members

p.s. common disclaimer: sorry if this has been discussed and I just did not see it.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 5

Great post. The future is definitely now. This team has the experience, talent, and senior class capable of leading us to a bowl game. No excuses.

Also shows that we shouldn't just beat Idaho, but we should control the game and blow them out. Not 34-7 like last year's Texas Southern game either. We should score plenty and often.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

This, I think, contributes to the fears that some have here, especially around QB.

You see a young unit like the OL perform so well last year, and all of these guys are back again to start... that is cause for excitement/joy!

Then, you see a QB that has performed on an average level, and he also returns to start... that is cause for trepidation/fear.

• Upvote 2

It just really does mean that the future is now. Which means it is not gonna be easier for NT next year than this year unless some superstar QB emerges, which usually is the one position that can negate experience differences in other parts of the team.

But a look at this just tells me that i really need to circle tha La tech and USM game as games we got to have this year, while it reminds me not to underestimate UTSA as much as some on this board seem to do. I still think we should beat UTSA, but they too will have made strides since last season, where if nothing else, they did manage to beat up on the FBS lowlights they got to play.

Edited by outoftown