Harry posted a link that was very informative. He seemed concerned about the amount of jucos on that team, but after seeing how well that worked for us, I'm a little less concerned. It should tell us early on how competitive we'll be the rest of the season.

The JUCO impact is somewhat neutralized by the fact that this is Game 1 for everyone.

All eyes will be on DT's play, how Andrew and Brock play into the rotation, and pressure from our DL.

What about their weapons? I know nothing about this opponent, except that DD and those RBs had their number.

They have a redshirt freshman at qb. Name is Chad Chalich from just up the road in Couer D'Alene, one of the top programs in their state. He's maybe 6'0" and he's a dual threat who won their qb spot in the spring basically by default. They return four starting o-lineman and a fifth with some starting experience, their tight end (not much of a pass-catching threat), a couple good receivers and their backup running back return. Most of their depth at the skill positions will rely on JUCO guys.

As for their defense, their strength and experience is at defensive line. They're also pretty big on the d-line. Linebackers have no starting experience and are almost al JUCOs. Secondary has one returning starter and JUCO guys.

They were one of the worst defensive teams in the country and they only return three starters. We need to score like crazy on them. Our defensive should hold them at least under three scores and force some turnovers at home against a freshman qb.

• Upvote 1

Early line in Vegas has us favored by 6.

In addition to the above assessment, I'll add...Idaho has a first-year coaching staff and was left out in the cold during the conference realignment (for this season anyway). 2012 record was 1-11. The lost their top six tacklers from last season but, considering their defense surrendered 197 rushing yards per game and 275 passing yards per game, that might be a good thing. Last season's offense only averaged 90.5 yards on the ground and 225 in the air. But, again, most of those guys are gone...the projected starting QB (per The Sporting News), Taylor Davis, only started a single game last season and their projected starting RB is a JUCO transfer. However, most of their O-line returns (and they have some decent size - average 6'4" and 307 pounds) as do their WRs.

I agree with Billy, we need to score often, preferably touchdowns, but we should also be able to contain their offense. I think we win this one by 10 points, based on coaching experience, key returning starters and the home field advantage.

• Upvote 1

Only favored by 6? Oh ya we kinda suck too...... Well not this year. This is the year we break out. We win this by 21 or more and take the confidence it gives us into the rest of the season.

We need that. This shouldn't be a game we win by single digits. Not at home against this Idaho defense.

Heck, that performance last year against Texas Southern was a bad precursor of what was to come the rest of the year. Us scoring only 34 points against Texas Southern and being 11-24 passing makes sense for a team that averaged just 20.9 points per game.

Dude you scared me to death with that!! Was thinking another freak frisbee or put bull accident!!

LOL, well it's still waaay early for oddsmakers to post lines. I've only found one site that even has odds posted this early. I'd love to get it at -6, but I suspect it will be somewhere between 17 and 21 by game day.