Southern Miss Coach Todd Monken speaks the truth

Harry

– New Southern Miss Coach Todd Monken had some choice words for the power conference teams bandying about the idea of a “Division 4″ consisting of all big boys.

Here are some of the greatest hits:

"Go ahead and do your deal — you guys split all the pie — but don’t go playing anyone else. You just play each other every week. Just have a nice NFL crossover where you play each other. Then when you fire up a nice 7-5, and you’re at a pretty good place and they fire you, they won’t be real excited about it, because you won’t have those games that they’ve been able to win. Plain and simple."

He makes a good point. Even if all the “Power 5″ conferences circle their wagons, there will always be a top of the list and a bottom of the list. And some teams used to being near the top, or at least firmly in the middle, won’t like the view from the basement.

Read more: http://blogs.dailymail.com/marshall/2013/07/25/post-c-usa-media-day-roundup/

Good point. It looks like the future will be college football on one hand and media driven farm teams for the pros on the other. I'll take college ball any day.

• Upvote 1

We were NAIA Division 1 before going NCAA D2. Same thing happened to us. It got down to where there were only 35 teams. Making the top 25 kind of lost its luster. The Southern Miss coach is absolutely right. What happens to the bottom feeders in the power5? The best thing for everyone in college football is to increase competition not decrease it. It is all about greed that is one reason I hate the SEC. They are the poster boy. The Bible had a caution about these things. The love of money is the root of all evils.

• Upvote 3

If the split happens, I hope the non-power 5 market the hell out of the fact that the real college football is played here and the power 5 is no more than an NFL farm club.

• Upvote 1

If the split happens, I hope the non-power 5 market the hell out of the fact that the real college football is played here and the power 5 is no more than an NFL farm club.

The power 5 wouldn't care, and neither would their alumni or media. Not sure what that would accomplish.

Except that "just playing each other" every week is never going to happen, because the "big 5" know perfectly well that they will continue to schedule "bottom feeders" simply because there will be programs that will take the $, because they need "warm up" games, and because those programs need the $ to survive.

It's a great attempt at bravado, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1

The power 5 wouldn't care, and neither would their alumni or media. Not sure what that would accomplish.

Right. And Joe Schmo college football fan with no degree won't care either. As a matter of fact, he'll probably want to watch the "NFL farm club". Heck, 2/3 of UNT's alumni would rather watch the "NFL farm club" over their own team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's fine for Monken to be all up in arms about it. But, the question is not whether he will go and still play road games against the big guys - the question is whether his athletic director (and all other athletic directors similarly situated) have the guts to walk away from the pay day. They'd likely try to keep scheduling schools like us the way they formerly did with us/FCS schools.

It's not the coaches, it's the athletic directors and presidents that have to start taking a stand.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Right. And Joe Schmo college football fan with no degree won't care either. As a matter of fact, he'll probably want to watch the "NFL farm club". Heck, 2/3 of UNT's alumni would rather watch the "NFL farm club" over their own team.

If we had even 1/3rd of UNTs alumni that wanted to watch UNT football instead of UT football, we would have a stadium that seats about 45k right now. I think we have about half of that 1/3rd figure that actually is interested in UNT football and even that might be too generous.

Once again, it's usually this time of most every summer that we get these kind of quotes and stories from the Mack Browns and maybe 1 or 2 Power 5 conference commissioners. Plus........it seems to me all this takes place during Media Days for that group, too. :)

Why? Because they are bored counting all the monies they already have and just want to add to their coffers coupled with their "be damned with anyone else out there who doesn't like what we are saying" attitudes. Wonder if they've all forgotten how life once was for them when they had to budget for weekly groceries to feed their wives and young children and hope there was enough left for gas? :mom:

BUT............this too shall pass once Game Days begin for all.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Once again, it's usually this time of most every summer that we get these kind of quotes and stories from the Mack Browns and maybe 1 or 2 Power 5 conference commissioners. Plus........it seems to me all this takes place during Media Days for that group, too. :)

Why? Because they are bored counting all the monies they already have and just want to add to their coffers coupled with their "be damned with anyone else out there who doesn't like what we are saying" attitudes. Wonder if they've all forgotten how life once was for them when they had to budget for weekly groceries to feed their wives and young children and hope there was enough left for gas? :mom:

BUT............this too shall pass once Game Days begin for all.

GMG!

Its different this time. NEver have all 5 Power conferences had their commissioner's all come otu ont he same subject, along with the NCAA President. It used to just be media knuckleheads bringing this up because they are the bored ones at this time of the year, so you would get a quote here or there from a HFC or AD or Conference commissioner that spoke out about this. Not now--NIck Saban started this talk earlier this year. John Calipari followed suit. It hasn't slowed down one bit. This is the real deal, this time, PMG. I wish it wasn't, but it is...

Except that "just playing each other" every week is never going to happen, because the "big 5" know perfectly well that they will continue to schedule "bottom feeders" simply because there will be programs that will take the $, because they need "warm up" games, and because those programs need the $ to survive.

It's a great attempt at bravado, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Does anyone really think this would affect UNT scheduling power 5 (or whatever the hell they want to be called) teams?

No way in hell.

Its different this time. NEver have all 5 Power conferences had their commissioner's all come otu ont he same subject, along with the NCAA President. It used to just be media knuckleheads bringing this up because they are the bored ones at this time of the year, so you would get a quote here or there from a HFC or AD or Conference commissioner that spoke out about this. Not now--NIck Saban started this talk earlier this year. John Calipari followed suit. It hasn't slowed down one bit. This is the real deal, this time, PMG. I wish it wasn't, but it is...

:surrender::surrender::surrender:

Jeez, untjim1995, should we just cash it all in at UNT or what? Every post of late you seem to be the Grim Mean Green Reaper.

Surely you're not letting GL2G and Froggie'Boy's constant UNT bashing influence you?

Or was it some bad experience with this program you had that gives you (seemedly) no hope with all this?

Lighten up...I know a few (now older) sorority ladies from UNT who would be glad to give you a group hug. :grouphug:

GMG!

• Upvote 1

I have discussed this in a previous post:

The "have nots" must band together on pricing the money games. If the "elite" want to shut us out of the post season and make themselves the exclusive, we need to price the money games at no less than $2,000,000. From Idaho to UAB, from NMSU to Akron, none of us should give the big guys a "weekend off" for less than $2 million...with the possible exception of if Big 5 gives Little 5 a home and home.

Force these 60 teams to play 12 weeks in a row against each other and 1-2 losses each season will be the norm, even among the elites....sure will take some of the glamour away from a 12-0 vs. a 12-0 national championship game.

GMG

The "have nots" must band together on pricing the money games. If the "elite" want to shut us out of the post season and make themselves the exclusive, we need to price the money games at no less than $2,000,000. From Idaho to UAB, from NMSU to Akron, none of us should give the big guys a "weekend off" for less than $2 million...with the possible exception of if Big 5 gives Little 5 a home and home.

Force these 60 teams to play 12 weeks in a row against each other and 1-2 losses each season will be the norm, even among the elites....sure will take some of the glamour away from a 12-0 vs. a 12-0 national championship game.

GMG

Or better yet, force them to pay you $1 million for a 1 and 1.

You want an easy win? Fine, pay us for it, oh, and you'll have to do it once in our place.

Sadly, to many others are exactly like UNT and will cave at the first big money offer.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

GMG

Exactly.

If they leave for the long green then they'll have the dough to lay out to play the other guys.

• Upvote 1

GMG

Better yet, tell them we'd be glad to come to their place...but we take the gate. You get the win, we get the money frkm your 80,000 fans.

:surrender::surrender::surrender:

Jeez, untjim1995, should we just cash it all in at UNT or what? Every post of late you seem to be the Grim Mean Green Reaper.

Surely you're not letting GL2G and Froggie'Boy's constant UNT bashing influence you?

Or was it some bad experience with this program you had that gives you (seemedly) no hope with all this?

Lighten up...I know a few (now older) sorority ladies from UNT who would be glad to give you a group hug. :grouphug:

GMG!

I'll always call it like I see it until UNT proves me wrong. We don't have enough going for us to change the fact that we are an outsider to those in the Big Five and will be permanently when this new Division 4 gets established. We can agree to disagree, but nothing will convince me this is not about to happen and that we will be left behind. I'll still go to games at Apogee, but I truly believe that a game

Between UNT and UTSA in about 3 years will be as a lower level

Conference game.

• Upvote 1

I'll always call it like I see it until UNT proves me wrong. We don't have enough going for us to change the fact that we are an outsider to those in the Big Five and will be permanently when this new Division 4 gets established. We can agree to disagree, but nothing will convince me this is not about to happen and that we will be left behind. I'll still go to games at Apogee, but I truly believe that a game

Between UNT and UTSA in about 3 years will be as a lower level

Conference game.

OK, we get it, but for crissakes try another theme other than "North Texas is going to be playing at the NCAA suck'ee level from now until eternity because we have nothing going for us now and never have" kind of attitude. What could possibly be the point your trying to get across to this board's readership that we don't already know? We're all very well aware of our situation at North Texas and don't need to be reminded about it every post. GL2G, FrogFeverBoy and CougarWho(?) do enough of that as it is. :)

Some of us on this board have seen great promise for this program and then have seen the bottom of the barrell, too, but for the most part as far as our school is concerned we try to see the bright spots long term; of course, there have been questions on those the last 30 plus years who would try to produce those bright spots for Mean Green football who did not succeed but that's basically just your NCAA college football fan for ya'. Look how many Texas Exes wanted to fire UT's Mack Brown after only 2 losing seasons in a row and not that long after he brought an NCAA football national championship to Longhorn Country.

Most college football fans look at wins versus losses with most any coaches overall career at a school over a said number of years. Here is Mack Brown's W/L record as HFC at UT-Austin:

134 W's......34 L's

CUSA is going to be fun with all the close-by "rivalries" (what a new concept for UNT that is) and who will bring a couple thousand or more fans to Apogee, too,...but don't let all this fun pass you by---good fellow alum. Here...have a brat'... :bbq:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen