DRC: C-USA media day running blog

Brett Vito

I guess Bergland can come out in August 2 different ways after being labeled as the 3rd string QB...either down, unmotivated and maybe looking to go somewhere else to get to play, or it lights a fire under him to fight for a starting role. I really hope it's the latter. I'm really curious to see what he has when he's healthy and with the first string.

His fire could also be infectious to DT and McNulty which only makes all of them better. Man, I'm pumped about this season....can't freakin wait

• Upvote 4

Update 2 — Now that I’m back in the media room and not typing on my phone, Richard Abbe has been reinstated to UNT’s roster. He will open camp with the team, but Dan McCarney is monitoring his situation closely. He could be ready to go for UNT’s season-opening game against Idaho. The change is that he is no longer on scholarship. McCarney pulled it when Abbe was suspended. Abbe has been paying his own expenses since that time.

That was the main news tidbit from McCarney’s media time.

And in other news, Derek Thompson enters fall practice as UNT’s starting quarterback. Andrew McNulty is second on the depth chart with Brock Berglund in the third spot. The competition will continue into fall workouts. McCarney mentioned after spring drills that the trio’s performance over the summer could affect the race. So far nothing has changed.

UNT came out of the summer healthy. All of the guys who missed spring workouts will be ready to go on Aug. 5. The one exception is defensive end Quenton Brown. The JUCO defensive end is still working his way back from a torn ACL.

McCarney mentioned that he feels a whole lot better about UNT’s secondary this year than he did last year, when he didn’t have anyone with a whole lot of experience.

Those are several good news: no injuries pretty much no man lost from spring to fall, may mot sound spectacular, but it absolutely is! You will not find many teams out in the FBS who can say this. This helps big time.

I also like how McCarney handled the Abbe thing. You absolutely can't say that this punishment does not hurt, I am absolutely sure it does. But it also does not throw the player under the bus for something that is rather repeated stupidity than being a conscious criminal.

Edited by outoftown

I guess Bergland can come out in August 2 different ways after being labeled as the 3rd string QB...either down, unmotivated and maybe looking to go somewhere else to get to play, or it lights a fire under him to fight for a starting role. I really hope it's the latter. I'm really curious to see what he has when he's healthy and with the first string.

His fire could also be infectious to DT and McNulty which only makes all of them better. Man, I'm pumped about this season....can't freakin wait

If you go by his past history he'll pick up his toys and peddle his wares elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Hmmm. I thought Berglund was the starter. Isn't that what people here and in summer/pre-fall college football magazines have said. Do they really have to practice to find out who should start? That hasn't seemed to be fair to Berglund since he hit KU's campus. Shouldn't message board and magazine assumption be enough?

• Downvote 2