18 Redshirt Freshmen join UNT on the field this season

Harry

Really good sign to see this many get that additional year of training and weight room work. Hope all of them have good years and careers here!

56 Malik Dilonga DE 6-4 248 RS FR Cedar Hill, TX Trinity Christian School
6 Jordan Gill QB 6-0 180 RS FR Whitesboro, TX Whitesboro HS
94 Mustafa Haboul DT 6-0 241 RS FR Arlington, TX Martin HS
46 Brad Horton DE 6-6 240 RS FR Argyle, TX Liberty Christian HS
32 Jamarcus Jarvis DB 5-10 203 RS FR Houma, LA East Ascension HS
58 Tony Johnson DS 6-1 210 RS FR Fort Worth, TX South Grand Prairie HS
50 Kaydon Kirby OL 6-3 300 RS FR Flower Mound, TX Flower Mound HS
85 Roderick Lancaster WR 6-2 200 RS FR Dallas, TX Life School of Oak Cliff
4 Mark Lewis RB 5-10 217 RS FR Livonia, LA Livonia HS
40 Blake Macek P 5-9 180 RS FR Sulphur Springs, TX Sulphur Springs HS
72 Ryan Rentfro OL 6-4 309 RS FR Flower Mound, TX Marcus HS
30 Jarrian Roberts DE 6-2 238 RS FR Clarksville, TX Clarksville HS
20 Rex Rollins RB 6-1 195 RS FR Tyler, TX Chapel Hill HS
82 Nick Schrapps WR 6-3 202 RS FR Beaumont, TX Kelly HS
29 Brock Squier DB 5-9 194 RS FR Sanger, TX Sanger HS
78 Connor Trussell OL 6-5 295 RS FR Arlington, TX Martin HS
70 Sir Calvin Wallace DT 6-2 308 RS FR Tyler, TX Chapel Hill HS
98 Dutton Watson DT 6-3 261 RS FR Midland, TX Midland HS

Honestly, DT WAS the only position I truly was worried about. However, after reviewing the updated roster and assuming Boutwell can have a monster year, I think we'll be OK even with this position.

I can assure you the DT position is one I'll be keenly watching during the Idaho game (BTW just got my plane ticket!!)

• Upvote 2

Really good sign to see this many get that additional year of training and weight room work. Hope all of them have good years and careers here!

56 Malik Dilonga DE 6-4 248 RS FR Cedar Hill, TX Trinity Christian School

6 Jordan Gill QB 6-0 180 RS FR Whitesboro, TX Whitesboro HS

94 Mustafa Haboul DT 6-0 241 RS FR Arlington, TX Martin HS

46 Brad Horton DE 6-6 240 RS FR Argyle, TX Liberty Christian HS

32 Jamarcus Jarvis DB 5-10 203 RS FR Houma, LA East Ascension HS

58 Tony Johnson DS 6-1 210 RS FR Fort Worth, TX South Grand Prairie HS

50 Kaydon Kirby OL 6-3 300 RS FR Flower Mound, TX Flower Mound HS

85 Roderick Lancaster WR 6-2 200 RS FR Dallas, TX Life School of Oak Cliff

4 Mark Lewis RB 5-10 217 RS FR Livonia, LA Livonia HS

40 Blake Macek P 5-9 180 RS FR Sulphur Springs, TX Sulphur Springs HS

72 Ryan Rentfro OL 6-4 309 RS FR Flower Mound, TX Marcus HS

30 Jarrian Roberts DE 6-2 238 RS FR Clarksville, TX Clarksville HS

20 Rex Rollins RB 6-1 195 RS FR Tyler, TX Chapel Hill HS

82 Nick Schrapps WR 6-3 202 RS FR Beaumont, TX Kelly HS

29 Brock Squier DB 5-9 194 RS FR Sanger, TX Sanger HS

78 Connor Trussell OL 6-5 295 RS FR Arlington, TX Martin HS

70 Sir Calvin Wallace DT 6-2 308 RS FR Tyler, TX Chapel Hill HS

98 Dutton Watson DT 6-3 261 RS FR Midland, TX Midland HS

I'm really looking forward to seeing Trussell, Rentfro and Kirby contribute this year as I think all will be long term contributors. I'm hoping Wallace has seen the light and the Spring Game is an indication of the type of year he will have because we need him to step up. Watson is my DL sleeper. He as a load in high school.

You've said this before, but I can assure you that he is a redshirt freshman. How sure are you that he stepped on the field?

Wow - great memory as yes, I have said this before.

I, at least until my home sells, live in Chapel Hill and I watched him through high school and I am pretty certain that I watched him on the field at Apogee; not on the sidelines - on the field. I was surprised for him to be out there as even his own high school coach questioned how Rollins would be used at unt, and I certainly expected that he would be redshirted. He was on the field at Apogee as either a special teams player or in the defensive backfield........my guess is the former.

I turned to someone and said "Hey, Rollins is on the field".

Could it have been another player with a "20" on his uniform that was playing? Maybe. But I always make sure to check the name on the jersey since we do have some numbers used by more than one player.

Being a grad from '72 and '75 my mind is drifty, my eyesight ain't what it used to be, and I am not infallible......so given all of that, take what I have said for what what it is worth.

If I am wrong - great! He is a redshirt freshman and we will get four more years from him.

Let me also suggest that as a running back he will eventually shine with the Mean Green. He is a Duane Thomas glider as a runner. I think he has a chance to be a very good UNT running back.

• Upvote 1

Wow - great memory as yes, I have said this before.

I, at least until my home sells, live in Chapel Hill and I watched him through high school and I am pretty certain that I watched him on the field at Apogee; not on the sidelines - on the field. I was surprised for him to be out there as even his own high school coach questioned how Rollins would be used at unt, and I certainly expected that he would be redshirted. He was on the field at Apogee as either a special teams player or in the defensive backfield........my guess is the former.

I turned to someone and said "Hey, Rollins is on the field".

Could it have been another player with a "20" on his uniform that was playing? Maybe. But I always make sure to check the name on the jersey since we do have some numbers used by more than one player.

Being a grad from '72 and '75 my mind is drifty, my eyesight ain't what it used to be, and I am not infallible......so given all of that, take what I have said for what what it is worth.

If I am wrong - great! He is a redshirt freshman and we will get four more years from him.

Let me also suggest that as a running back he will eventually shine with the Mean Green. He is a Duane Thomas glider as a runner. I think he has a chance to be a very good UNT running back.

Yeah, I have talked to him before and he said he was still a redshirt freshman. I've heard that there might be a minimum of plays to retain a redshirt. Not sure if that's true or not but it seems he is somehow still a redshirt freshman. Quite frankly that is important, since we need some backs after Byrd graduates this year and Pegram next year.

Yeah, I have talked to him before and he said he was still a redshirt freshman. I've heard that there might be a minimum of plays to retain a redshirt. Not sure if that's true or not but it seems he is somehow still a redshirt freshman. Quite frankly that is important, since we need some backs after Byrd graduates this year and Pegram next year.

I agree with you there. I have a lot of respect for his running abilities - and the coaches must have the same respect as well as he was listed as a defensive back last season.

Perhaps there is a minimum number of plays exemption that allows him have played and still be a redshirt freshman. Of course, that is essentially what I was asking with the first posting.

Jimmerson, Rollins and Lewis will be around after Pegram, who hasn't moved past Jimmerson on the depth chart, graduates. I have always felt that Lewis had something special. Don't know why, but his high school films stood out to me.

Just glancing at the roster , this Ricky Pratt looks like a pretty decent player for a walk on

Cisco Junior College: Played two seasons at Cisco College ... Was named all-conference during his sophomore season there and recorded four interceptions and 10 pass break ups.

High School: Was a first-team all-district cornerback his junior and senior seasons at South Grand Prairie High School ... Had six interceptions as well as 33 pass break ups during that time.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Jimmerson, Rollins and Lewis will be around after Pegram, who hasn't moved past Jimmerson on the depth chart, graduates. I have always felt that Lewis had something special. Don't know why, but his high school films stood out to me.

My point was that Rollins has a chance to emerge as the number two guy by then. Yes he'll have to beat out Lewis and anyone we pick up in recruiting, but he has that opportunity.
  • Upvote 1

Just glancing at the roster , this Ricky Pratt looks like a pretty decent player for a walk on

Cisco Junior College: Played two seasons at Cisco College ... Was named all-conference during his sophomore season there and recorded four interceptions and 10 pass break ups.

High School: Was a first-team all-district cornerback his junior and senior seasons at South Grand Prairie High School ... Had six interceptions as well as 33 pass break ups during that time.

Potential nickel back which we didn't have last year.

Meant to give you an up vote. A little help guys?

• Upvote 2

Potential nickel back which we didn't have last year.

Meant to give you an up vote. A little help guys?

I was wondering who wasn't a Rickey Pratt fan ;)

I'm sure most colleges were afraid on his size. If anything , looks like to be a serviceable backup to have

• Upvote 1

I was wondering who wasn't a Rickey Pratt fan ;)

I'm sure most colleges were afraid on his size. If anything , looks like to be a serviceable backup to have

Caught me!

Yeah, his production is there. Just a matter of size or lack thereof. We don't need him to start with the corners we have on our roster but he could be a guy who covers a slot receiver, especially against a 5-wide set.

• Upvote 1

According to the 2013 Roster, Andrew Tucker and Rollins share #20.

I can't find any archived rosters online. Someone with a program from last year will have to verify 2012.

I know there has been some confusion before, and it might have been Rollins.

There were a few players who shared #'s last season

• Upvote 1