Solid summer league debut for Tony Mitchell

Harry

UNT product Tony Mitchell had his first chance to show what he can do on the NBA level today when he made his debut with the Detroit Pistons’ summer league team.

So far, so good.

Mitchell finished with seven points, six rebounds and two blocked shots in the Pistons’ 76-67 win over the Brooklyn Nets. He went 3-for-3 from the floor.

The hope was that Mitchell would show in the summer pro league that he can contribute right away as a backup forward as he continues to develop.

That’s just what he did, according to the people who know:

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/07/solid-summer-league-debut-for-tony-mitchell.html/

Really great news...wish I could have seen it, but good to see that Tony is doing what Tony can do. Good news from the first game...could really help his chances. Keep it going, Tony!

• Upvote 1

Off and Running- Draft picks flash their athleticism as Pistons win Summer League opener http://t.co/bHbZNWAkMZ

“I know Detroit’s the Motor City, but we’ve got a motor player in him. He just goes after everything. It’s fun watching him play, because he’s a sponge. Any time you call him over or any time the coaches talk to him, he picks something up and then he does it the very next play. You’ve got to be happy with him.”

• Upvote 1

Off and Running- Draft picks flash their athleticism as Pistons win Summer League opener http://t.co/bHbZNWAkMZ

Some really good stuff in there, including what P1 quoted above...

He just jumps out of the gym,” said the third Pistons draftee, point guard Peyton Siva. “He jumps in the air and thinks about what he’s going to do throughout the whole day and he finally comes down to the ground. We’re definitely more athletic with those guys and with Andre, you have a great athletic team.”

“He can get a little over the rim, which is pretty nice,” Trakh said. “I know Detroit’s the Motor City, but we’ve got a motor player in him. He just goes after everything. It’s fun watching him play, because he’s a sponge. Any time you call him over or any time the coaches talk to him, he picks something up and then he does it the very next play. You’ve got to be happy with him.”

• Upvote 1

“I know Detroit’s the Motor City, but we’ve got a motor player in him. He just goes after everything. It’s fun watching him play, because he’s a sponge. Any time you call him over or any time the coaches talk to him, he picks something up and then he does it the very next play. You’ve got to be happy with him.”

C

O

A

C

H

I

N

G

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really he was playing for a better contract last year.

True, but now he's playing for any kind of contract.

And I was going more along the lines of 'college is nice, but it don't buy no red beans and rice'.

Edited by RAGEMASTER5000

True, but now he's playing for any kind of contract.

And I was going more along the lines of 'college is nice, but it don't buy no red beans and rice'.

If Tony wasn't "motivated" to get the money of a 1st round lottery pick, what makes you think he will be "motivated" to get the money of an end of the bench spot?

Kinda flawed thinking, don't you think?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

If Tony wasn't "motivated" to get the money of a 1st round lottery pick, what makes you think he will be "motivated" to get the money of an end of the bench spot?

Kinda flawed thinking, don't you think?

I also said his contract situation and improved coaching could be factors. Like all situations, a multitude of factors are at play. He could be getting better breakfast lately. If I don't get the awesome job I applied for, I'm going out to mow lawns. Gotta pay that rent.

• Upvote 1