GMG.com Places to eat and drink in Denton -- 2013 version

Harry

How can you guys go 3 whole pages without mentioning this gem?

c5eda0200e3bd36b130b7ac29a9ec489.jpg

And this one....

44822074.jpg

And when you talk about places to drink in Denton, other than an occasional trip to The Square, where else would you go besides Fry Street?

One place in particular...good ol' Lucky Lou's.

3ee5999e6d8a95a09b3e98c936f381e2.jpg

I may be a defector but I had some fun times in Denton.

You worked out at Curves?

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

If I remember right, an upmarket Mexican restaurant was originally supposed to be there and I was a bit excited about it. My guess is that the deal went sour (not like a bad mafia flick, but still bad), so the property owners asked for someone, anyone to take the spot, and I guess Subway had the better bid.

But good god, a Subway on the square is pretty ridiculous. Odds are that only the people who don't know the restaurants will go there, but I don't imagine it'll last very long. I don't mind Subway, but that place doesn't really belong on the square.

Also, good to see Oak Street getting props here. It's overshadowed my old drinking place of choice (Riprocks) for about a year or so because of the selection and the atmosphere. Good drinks without the horrible overcrowding.

Yeah, this crummy Verus real estate (who we also get to blame for Sterling Fry Street and their crummy shops and the laughing tock that is Smiling Moose Deli) somehow got into leasing out that space. Purportedly the guy who owns this particular installation is a Lewisville-cash-in-on-Denton's vibes-type, so we're really, really resenting him.

This just looks absurd:

subway%20sign.jpg?format=500w

Drink-geez, what's still open? Cool Beans has awesome bean burgers that go well with anything you're drinking. Not sure how cool it is now that it's a miniature version, though! Loophole is pretty good too. Best country fried steak in town. I have a hard time talking about drinking without including food too, just because I love to eat so much.

Where have you been? Cool Beans is very much alive and kicking and definitely hasn't lost any space. In fact, they just opened up their adjoining parking lot as a beer patio.

How can you guys go 3 whole pages without mentioning this gem?

c5eda0200e3bd36b130b7ac29a9ec489.jpg

And this one....

44822074.jpg

And when you talk about places to drink in Denton, other than an occasional trip to The Square, where else would you go besides Fry Street?

One place in particular...good ol' Lucky Lou's.

3ee5999e6d8a95a09b3e98c936f381e2.jpg

I may be a defector but I had some fun times in Denton.

While I love Fry Street and all, you obviously haven't had a chance to come back and see the Square area in its beer resurgence. OSDH&CP and Paschall Bar are the shiz.

*Also. Who ever goes to the non-Square Beth Marie's location???

• Upvote 1

Crooked crust is cheap, fast, and friendly food. Last I looked, it was $6 for two slices with unlimited toppings and a drink. Can't go expecting world class fare for that price. For what you pay, it's fine food, especially if the rest of your intake on a given day/evening as all liquid and in surrounding establishments.

I totally forgot about Kolache and Candy Haven. I've taken both to work, and people rave about them. The chocolate in Candy Haven, well, it's special. My daughter refuses to eat supermarket chocolate anymore. She'll only eat it from Candy Haven. If I'm ever stupid enough, I mean, should I ever find myself taking matrimonial vows again, those guys are totally making my cake.

Where have you been? Cool Beans is very much alive and kicking and definitely hasn't lost any space. In fact, they just opened up their adjoining parking lot as a beer patio.

While I love Fry Street and all, you obviously haven't had a chance to come back and see the Square area in its beer resurgence. OSDH&CP and Paschall Bar are the shizz

1. You must've not been around to experience Beans when that little stairway across from the bar led to another room. Beans used to be roughly twice it's current size with another interior bar and restrooms ect... I like their new patio, but beans is still a shadow of its former self.

2. The bars you listed are fine and dandy... But there is still nothing in Denton that touches Lous if you like watching sports while you drink.

• Upvote 1

Fry Street? I lived at 316 Fry Street (University House Apts when they were quite nice) when I first transferred from Alvin JUCO to UNT in January, 1972.

I didn't know whether to walk to class as a visually impaired person with a cane to mostly be my protector from the drug culture or to dress as a priests (collar and all) with a big vampire killer of a cross adorning my neck and a string of garlic hanging from my trousers pocket just in case.

It was a real freaky Fry Street back then but consider the era, too........ the Viet Nam war was winding down........Tricky Dicky Nixon was up to his shenanigans but at least he did make a triumphant trip to China (but what a waste of a brilliant mind R.M. Nixon truly had but chose the dark side to use it)and girls were all following Gloria Steinam's lead while losing their bras. When I arrived for my first class at UNT (an English Class with Dr. Malcom Chamberlain) my head would still be in wobble mode from watching all those long haired surfer girls who I would pass by en route to class.

University House had a very popular swimming pool where I saw scenes I'd never seen in my Texas one horse home town and those summer time scenes were such a treat. Some things you can just never get our of your mind (although you know you should especially now at my present age and health). :(

The Ranchmen's Steak House (now Ponder Steak House) was popular with my little group. And talking to the older lady named "Pete' who ran the place was like a trip down memory lane. She had such good stories about Warren Beatty and Fay Dunaway who ate there while filming Bonnie and Clyde and Pete's home-made caramel cream pies were to kill for.

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

1. You must've not been around to experience Beans when that little stairway across from the bar led to another room. Beans used to be roughly twice it's current size with another interior bar and restrooms ect... I like their new patio, but beans is still a shadow of its former self.

1. So you are both right. When Cool Beans first opened it was as it is now - with regard to inside space. Then came the rooftop deck. Then came breaking through the wall and adding the "annex" as we called it- circa '96 perhaps. The annex side was a different building and was under a different lease. (The building Cool Beans proper is in was owned by the late Dr. Lott. (Awesome guy). Not long before he died he offered a very long term lease which was signed.)

So the annex lease was up and developer came in and bought that building along with the rest to create the wart that is the apartment complex. So Cool Beans had to brick up the wall and return to its original footprint. But because of the length of the lease they have, thanks to Dr. Lott, they will be the little thorn in the side of that developer for at least another decade or so.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fry Street? I lived at 316 Fry Street (University House Apts when they were quite nice) when I first transferred from Alvin JUCO to UNT in January, 1972.

I didn't know whether to walk to class as a visually impaired person with a cane to mostly be my protector from the drug culture or to dress as a priests (collar and all) with a big vampire killer of a cross adorning my neck and a string of garlic hanging from my trousers pocket just in case.

It was a real freaky Fry Street back then but consider the era, too........ the Viet Nam war was winding down........Tricky Dicky Nixon was up to his shenanigans but at least he did make a triumphant trip to China (but what a waste of a brilliant mind R.M. Nixon truly had but chose the dark side to use it)and girls were all following Gloria Steinam's lead while losing their bras. When I arrived for my first class at UNT (an English Class with Dr. Malcom Chamberlain) my head would still be in wobble mode from watching all those long haired surfer girls who I would pass by en route to class. Wobble mode.....get it? :).

University House had a very popular swimming pool where I saw scenes I'd never seen in my Texas one horse home town and those summer time scenes were such a treat. Some things you can just never get our of your mind (although you know you should especially now at my present age and health). :)

The Ranchmen's Steak House (now Ponder Steak House) was popular with my little group. And talking to the older lady named "Pete' who ran the place was like a trip down memory lane. She had such good stories about Warren Beatty and Fay Dunaway who ate there while filming Bonnie and Clyde and Pete's home-made caramel cream pies were to kill for.

GMG

Plumm, I think they still go by Ranchman's. Also, do you still have to call ahead if you want a baked potato?

• Upvote 1

I think it's called Fry St. Apts. now. I lived there for a few months and after that, hung out with friends who had the killer 3-bedroom by the pool. That was almost 30 years later, and they are definitely not "quite nice" anymore...but wild things certainly still happen there. Or at least did up till a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

I think it's called Fry St. Apts. now. I lived there for a few months and after that, hung out with friends who had the killer 3-bedroom by the pool. That was almost 30 years later, and they are definitely not "quite nice" anymore...but wild things certainly still happen there. Or at least did up till a few years ago.

xy_74AF05A5-674A-4C26-A336-AADA71485AD3_

2. The bars you listed are fine and dandy... But there is still nothing in Denton that touches Lous if you like watching sports while you drink.

I was half-passed out on that Cool Beans stairway on my 23rd...my friend picked me up and walked me out, saying I was being kicked out for being a fire hazard.

Nothing like Lou's, I agree. But that doesn't diminish the newer places on the square. I think Paschall is a long-overdue vibe that Dentonites really needed. A great "change of pace", if you will.

• Upvote 2

When I come back to Denton I make a point to go to:

Food:

Hannah's

Fuzzy's

Drink:

Lous

Two Charlies

Loophole (heard its gone downhill though)

What's so special about Denton Fuzzy's that you make it a must? You can find that chain almost anywhere now. Maybe you're not based in DFW?

• Upvote 2

Agreed Cougar King, Lou's is spot on -- made it there on a rain pre-game day a couple of years ago and had a great time. Great feeling of old fry street you feel in that place. Also tried Crooked Crust last season and it is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. BTW -- has anyone tried the macaroni place across the street yet? What's the verdict?

All about Mac is awesome.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, this crummy Verus real estate (who we also get to blame for Sterling Fry Street and their crummy shops and the laughing tock that is Smiling Moose Deli) somehow got into leasing out that space. Purportedly the guy who owns this particular installation is a Lewisville-cash-in-on-Denton's vibes-type, so we're really, really resenting him.

This just looks absurd:

subway%20sign.jpg?format=500w

While I love Fry Street and all, you obviously haven't had a chance to come back and see the Square area in its beer resurgence. OSDH&CP and Paschall Bar are the shiz.

*Also. Who ever goes to the non-Square Beth Marie's location???

I'm secretly (though not now) hoping that the Subway suddenly gives people salmonella and is shut down by the health department. I'd rather that building be empty than be a Subway. I don't mind chain spots, but someplace like a Subway is in the same category of bland and ubiquitous as a Starbucks. Can an interesting chain be there, if anything?

Plus, that sign is an eye sore on a building that nice looking.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1

I'm secretly (though not now) hoping that the Subway suddenly gives people salmonella and is shut down by the health department. I'd rather that building be empty than be a Subway. I don't mind chain spots, but someplace like a Subway is in the same category of bland and ubiquitous as a Starbucks. Can an interesting chain be there, if anything?

Plus, that sign is an eye sore on a building that nice looking.

If y'all have a beef with Subway being on the Square then take it up with the city. Denton is who issued the occupancy permit (among.others).

• Upvote 1

Best Bar - Lucky Lou's.....they hands down win!

Pizza - I consider myself a pizza snob and this was the toughest part when I lived in Denton. There was really no great pizza shops. Mr friends and I were finally introduced to Roman's pizza of N. Elm St. They were probably my favorite.

Chinese - Oriental Express. Cheap...quick...and delicious! Chopsticks ain't got nothing on these guys.

Mexican - Tie. El Guapo if you're looking to stay a while and drink. Mi Casita's if you want something quick.

BBQ - Rudy's. You can never go wrong here.

Other - Abbey Inn. This was my favorite place in Denton. When you first walk in you may feel out of place, but sit at the bar and enjoy a nice cold beer and a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. It's the best you'll ever have. Also Sweetwater is pretty good.

That's pretty awesome. Kevin Roden has been a friend/acquaintance since my freshman year when he lived next door to me. Those still living in Denton have had some very trustworthy people in City Council lately, who actually care not only about the town but also the people who live there. Compared to lots of other places, you have a pretty great situation in terms of your local politics!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that great find, Harry.

"Pete" did tell me that Warren Beatty was with Faye Dunaway one particular afternoon. They filmed the "no money in the bank" scene at the Ponder State Bank which is owned by a Denton County acquaintance of mine (or last I heard it was).

Pete also told me Ms. Dunaway got on top one of the tables with a rose between her teeth and did a little fancy dancin' for the crowd. Funny how I can visualize Faye Dunaway doing just that, too. I have a copy of Bonnie and Clyde with outtakes and movie notes and even Warren Beatty holding up a newspaper (Harry Truman style) with headlines saying "World Premier of Bonnie and Clyde In Denton, Texas!"

GMG!

• Upvote 1