Board approves UNT moving forward on golf facility

Harry

The UNT board of regents approved the school’s athletic department moving forward with an agreement with Trophy Club to build a new short-game facility and establish the venue as the home for the school’s golf program.

I mentioned on the blog after the Don January tournament that UNT was in the process of planning a $1.8 million facility that will include putting surfaces and an area where players can work on their short game.

UNT has already raised nearly $400,000.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/board-approves-unt-moving-forward-on-golf-facility.html/

I can remember kids coming here from all over the United States and Canada on golf scholarships in the 60's. How could we have let that program slide for so many years while other schools were building their programs to such prominence. We had a head start on everyone AND our own course.

• Upvote 5

What I find interesting is they have raised 400k already. It was not that long ago that Mattress Mac was paraded around campus in a green and white litter for donating one million. Donations like that just did not happen at the University of North Texas.

While I wish Mac was still a friend of the University and don't want to make light of his donation. It is striking to see us raise 3 million for basketball and 400k for golf in such short periods of time. If we are to ever become big time it will happen on the backs of donors. To see that we do indeed have some deep pockets that are motivated gives me hope for the future.

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 7

Just an FYI, Harry always links to the full tory at the bottom of his posts.

I don't like posting even excerpts of news stories. If you don't post any content from the site then you can't get into any trouble.