Some questions for those pro-fans who travel

Hey folks, so rather than focusing on graduating tomorrow, I'm caught up in travel questions.

So for those who are pro at this:

For the Georgia game, when and from whom should I buy tickets? Plane tickets?

For the NOLA trip, flight or car?

Ohio going to be worth it?

I guess in general, would the tickets for away games be already available, and through our own ticket office?

Please kindly educate this never-traveled-for-a-game noob.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 2

Hey folks, so rather than focusing on graduating tomorrow, I'm caught up in travel questions.

So for those who are pro at this:

For the Georgia game, when and from whom should I buy tickets? Plane tickets?

For the NOLA trip, flight or car?

I guess in general, would the tickets for away games be already available, and through our own ticket office?

Please kindly educate this never-traveled-for-a-game newb.

Chris, you definitely need to go to the La Tech, and Tulsa games... easy drives and can be a lot of fun. Because both have some form of gambling near by. I stay the night in Shreveport.

• Upvote 1

Chris, you definitely need to go to the La Tech, and Tulsa games... easy drives and can be a lot of fun. Because both have some form of gambling near by. I stay the night in Shreveport.

I do love Shreveport, but the state troopers just don't understand my love - says the guy who graduated HS in Texarkana.

• Upvote 1

last year the ticket office sold face value tix in the visitor's bloc to season ticket holders. They aren't the best seats in the stadium, but they are in the Green section, they are cheap, and you know the source (as opposed to secondary markets). If you haven't already, I would call the ticket office up and get season tickets for 2013. They have a pretty sweet MGC deal for recent grads...you can get parking and tickets for the full season for less than $100. As a class of '10 grad, i'm still benefitting from the recent grad discounts. I'm hoping to get a better job here soon so I can up the ante

• Upvote 2

Glad your losing your traveling virginity. Ive gone to a Tulsa game and Ive also gone to an LSU bama and clemson game. they were all about the same scores. Which one do you think i had the most fun at? I would def go to NOLA to see us beat Tulane and I would also go between the hedges "georgia" to eat some good sec bbq

GMG

• Upvote 2

buy through our ticket office...drive it to ruston (stay in shreveport...that's what we do), i checked flights for nola and it was 90 bucks each way...so i'd fly. i've driven it during the bowl years, but i would fly now.

• Upvote 1

If anyone still has an answer towards when I should go after the Georgia tickets/plane tickets, that would be helpful and pertinent.

I'm going to buy my tickets through UNT for the Georgia game, as I have done for most "big" away games over the past decade. I will likely drive vs fly, because I can make it a part of a larger business trip.

New Orleans: If your traveling solo, fly. Cheap shuttle from the airport to Quarter/Canal street hotels (use a cab for the return trip). You can walk or pedicab it the rest of time, including to the Super Dome for the game. Use the street car to go to the Garden District/Tulane campus. Parking a car is going to cost you $25 a day.

I've only traveled for a couple of games, though I have traveled a lot all over the country...but for the non-ticket part here's what works for me since I always try to get the best deal (so I have more "play money" while I'm out and about):

-As mentioned above, know about stuff like parking rates, etc before deciding where/how far away to get your lodging.

-Are you trying to get in and out in specific time frames? If not, and you're going to fly, watch the flights that occur within a day or two of your intended arrival/departure date until it looks like a "sweet spot". I use all of the discount travel search engines (Expedia, Travelocity, etc). If you aren't "married" to the exact date you would fly in right before an event, what would be $400 per person in airfare can be more like $130 if you have schedule flexibility.

-In addition to the airfare and arrival/departure dates, also look at the difference in travel bundles vs. separate costs. Sometimes you can get airfare, rental, and lodging at a great rate...but depending on specials (and how picky you are) from each company, sometimes you'll actually get a better deal buying them separately.

-Also note that beyond strategic dates and specials (online and advertised), coupons can save you a ton of money. If you guys need some, I always have a couple dozen various travel-oriented coupons with each of the books, sites, and other things I subscribe to. Whoever is going to be trying to squeeze their travel budget down can PM me with what they need and I'll let you know what I have. Some of them are percentage (15% off, etc) coupons that won't matter much if it's the choice between a $59 room and a $65 one, but if you combine rates, specials, flexible schedule, and coupons you can easily turn $1200-1500 per person in travel costs to $200-300 per person.

Of course, a lot of this is more for the big trips like Georgia where you'll probably want to fly, because driving a few hours is usually cheaper than flying and with delays may not actually take much longer. Regardless, if you're on a budget be sure to check rates just outside of any major metro area you're going to because you can get some really nice digs for the cost of a Best Western sometimes.

Like I said, PM me not just for coupons but also if you need more pointers looking for good, cheap travel deals.

Dont go to Ohio, thats the first thing.

Georgia, would be a good time. Experience a good atmosphere, good tailgate and beautiful Georgia ladies with accents that will.... (fill in the blanks)

Nola would be my choice, one you can get more people to go with you. What makes any road trip is your group. Two, better chance of a win, going to road trips and losing doesnt make a good drive home.

Now tickets, for all road trips we always got tickets from the players.. Not sure if you know any but thats the best way. Theyre free and you sit in the Unt section. If you dont know any players, order them through athletics and youll be with the UNT section

Now either driving or flying, that would be up to you and how much money you have. Flying is always nicer but if you go with a group, driving isnt that bad. Driving to Athens would be a haul but driving to Nola isnt bad, and more money to spend on the blackjack table