DMN Sports Front Page Article on Mean Green

Green59

Influx of transfers have finally brought talent to UNT football

Rick Gosselin

rgosselin@dallasnews.com

Published: 03 April 2013 10:32 PM

DENTON — Dan McCarney spent 18 years coaching in the Big Ten, another 14 years in the Big 12 and two more in the SEC.

He knows what big-time college football looks like.

For the first time in his three springs at North Texas, McCarney believes the Mean Green has the look of big-time football.

“This team is a lot more competitive,” McCarney said. “There are more guys who belong here — more players that look like Division I guys. It’s exciting when you see more guys that can play.

“Instead of fabricating depth and fabricating competition, which we had to do these past two years, there’s real depth, real competition, and it’s there every day. That’s exciting to me as a head coach.”

In the 2011 recruiting class, Rivals listed Brock Berglund as the 15 best dual-threat prep quarterback in the nation. Johnny Manziel was No. 14 on that list and Everett Golson No. 16. Last season, Manziel won the Heisman Trophy at Texas A&M, and Golson quarterbacked Notre Dame to the national championship game.

Berglund signed with Kansas out of high school but transferred to North Texas a year ago and spent a redshirt season quarterbacking the Mean Green scout team. This spring he’s competing with two-time team captain Derek Thompson for the starting job.

In Reggie Pegram’s last college game, he scored two touchdowns in Purdue’s bowl victory over Western Michigan. That was in 2011. He transferred to North Texas in 2012 and gave the Mean Green fits on the scout team. This spring he’s competing for a starting position.

Darius Terrell also kept the North Texas defense busy on the scout team last fall. He was a Parade All-America wide receiver who signed with Texas out of high school. He spent two seasons in Austin, then transferred to North Texas in 2012. This spring, he’s competing for a starting position as well.

read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20130403-gosselin-influx-of-transfers-have-finally-brought-talent-to-unt-football-that-dan-mccarney-has-craved.ece

This post has been promoted to an article Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 5

I know for a fact that there are many media alumni just salivating to get to cover the Mean Green more, but have been stiffled, due to success of the program. If we win, there will be much more coverage.

• Upvote 1

That's a great article for someone not familiar with the program to read.

If you're familiar with North Texas football you've been reading that same article every year since Dodge was hired.

I have sent the article to a lab in College Station that analyzes BS. This article has a a very strong odor of it.

• Downvote 10

Thanks for posting this Green59. First article I read this morning in the DMN. Was really happy to see UNT get the PR and the location of the article in the paper. Very positive article. I like!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I have sent the article to a lab in College Station that analyzes BS. This article has a a very strong odor of it.

I suppose it is all how you want to read into the article. I thought it was great for a football program that does not get much attention in the Metroplex to get a DMN front page story written by the Goose. I sent the article to a former player who played one year under DMac at UNT and he thought it was a pretty good article too.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I suppose it is all how you want to read into the article. I thought it was great for a football program that does not get much attention in the Metroplex to get a DMN front page story written by the Goose. I sent the article to a former player who played one year under DMac at UNT and he thought it was a pretty good article too.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

There's a few things in here that make it more than the standard stump speech from Mac. He's never been this unequivocal - there are no "eventuallys," "maturing" or maybes" this time around. The number of people in camp says a lot, but I'll start believing it once the season starts and we stop cleverly disguising our wide receivers as the orange posts at the rear of the endzones.,

Today was obviously a slow news day, hence why UNT got on the front page.

Still waiting for the Dallas Morning News to feature a story about how TCU would never schedule North Texas Mean Green football for about 30 plus years; that is, in the 50's (Texas first integrated college football team plus the All American Abner Haynes/Sun Bowl team era); the 60's (the Mean Joe Greene era when we lost count on our NFL draft choices including 3 #1's and then those vaunted 70's (the Hayden Fry era).............now that would make for some interesting reading on another slow news day.

And a slow news day? North Korea declaring war on the USA and threatening nukes on our homeland is hardly a slow news day.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We will be at 84/85 scholarships. Perhaps there is a late qualifier, JUCO, or high school player who signed with someone else in February but couldn't get all the grades at DT out there.

That would be sweet!

GMG

• Upvote 1