OU QB Transfer Drew Allen, (6-5, 210) Alamo Heights

Harry

Would be a part of a 3 headed monster if he considers UNT..

Not sure he would be a fit.. Would gladly take him, but not sure he would want to go anywhere he would not be a slam dunk and he will behind both BB and DT as far as time with the recivers and knowledge of the system.

Ranked 15th best QB in nation at the time. Played 12 games in 3 years and no starts. I wonder if he regrets his decision to sign with OU... there are so many highly regarded players that see very little playing time because they have 3 or 4 in front of them at the power schools. I guess they all think they will earn the starting position. If some of these type players originally signed with other non-power conference schools, say UNT, they would have a full college career on the gametime field, not the sideline.

• Upvote 1

Ranked 15th best QB in nation at the time. Played 12 games in 3 years and no starts. I wonder if he regrets his decision to sign with OU... there are so many highly regarded players that see very little playing time because they have 3 or 4 in front of them at the power schools. I guess they all think they will earn the starting position. If some of these type players originally signed with other non-power conference schools, say UNT, they would have a full college career on the gametime field, not the sideline.

They also could have helped us get to a bowl game. I would rather play in a bowl game at UNT, then ride the pine and watch from the sideline 4 years at OU.

• Upvote 1

There's more to college than football?

The kid got his degree, was considered the best and competed with the best, got years of scout team work. Can't see the problem there. Got all of the goodies and memories that come with bowl games every year as well, rings and whatnot.

He'd have gotten none of that here except the degree. Kudos to him for graduating and still having the fire in the belly to complete. I'd take a chance on him over the kid who has transferred from KU to AZ JUCO to here without taking a snap. OU transfer has at least been a team guy and not a, dare I say, "quitter."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

He'd have gotten none of that here except the degree. Kudos to him for graduating and still having the fire in the belly to complete. I'd take a chance on him over the kid who has transferred from KU to AZ JUCO to here without taking a snap. OU transfer has at least been a team guy and not a, dare I say, "quitter."

I'd rather have a QB for 3 years than for 1.

trussbussdad, on 14 Mar 2013 - 11:00, said:

i personally feel that a 1 year qb is no benefit. learning the system and getting a comfort level with the team...he has to be a team leader and you do not get that respect..most of the time..in one year.

Right.

A 1-year transfer would be fantastic for any other position but QB.

• Upvote 2

I agree - frankly no offense to this guy and others but you CHOSE to go to the big school everyone around you said you choose... knowing full well that you very well not ever see the field... now your career has run its course and you want another school to change their plans to allow you a chance to actually play football.

I think this story plays out a lot at places like Texas, OU etc -- I wish more of these recruits could be more educated about what happens at the big factories..

I hate these kids get caught up in the glitz of the recruiting and get their decision blinded by the coach recruiting them. see it all the time where a stud comes out of high school and gets buried in the depth chart and goes from being in the penthouse during recruiting to trying to get run off when the real deal starts.

• Upvote 1

1 year transfer example that could be a good thing...Zed. So ready to see his "wheels" on KO and punt return.

So would I. Most of his announced 40 times have been between 4.41 and 4.45. He was timed by our people (I assume electronically since it was in hundreths and not tenths) at 4.29.

• Upvote 1

So...is he definitely ours? If so, I agree that he plays as much as he deserves. If he turns out to be amazing, then yes, use him for a year. Stoops may not use players with potential if the player above them has a tiny bit more. Maybe in a mid-major conference, he will turn out to have an awesome year. Either way, we'll find out...I don't mind taking Kansas or Oklahoma's "leftovers" to prove that lots of players should probably have come to us in the first place. If we have a good year or two with these transfers, that will show a lot of recruits why they should take our offers instead of waiting to hopefully, maybe, one day be a starter at another school.

• Upvote 1

Jesse..it is all about building the program

Yeah, that's part of what I was getting at, I just babbled a bit more ;)

Regardless, you're one of the top guys in your position and transfer because another top guy is the starter? We'll take you...as long as you take care of business and keep your grades! And again, I think these guys can be a great testament to future recruits, because they can preach about how much greener the grass may look when being romanced by a big team, but how much greater the opportunities are with us with the opportunity to earn your grades and have a part in building a program instead of being a part of a "system" and gambling on whether you ever even get to play.