OU QB Transfer Drew Allen, (6-5, 210) Alamo Heights

Harry

What does Drew Allen have to do with Berglund? Allen has playing experience and hasn't jumped around; so, he's a more stable character. Besides, what's the problem with wanting a kid from a winning program to finish his career here?

We take on transfers from all over. OU just happens to be about an hour and half up the road, and many of those who transfer out of there are from Texas. Why wouldn't we be interested in players transferring out of their program? When I was in school at UNT, we took on Reggie Finch from OU. We currently have former Sooner Marcus Trice.

Heck, McCarney even hired an OU grad assistant, Ryan Walters, to be our new secondary coach. So...what's the problem?

The kid may or may not win the starting job a Syracuse. But, had there been a sniff of a chance of him landing here, everyone should have been excited. And, more excited than with this Berglund because he has stayed in one place, played, and graduated. In other words, showed some stick-to-it-tiveness.

I wish the best for Berglund. But, for me, seeing is believing. I've already said I'm completely on board with him winning the job. But, that's the thing - he has to win it. He hasn't shown the ability to do that at other ports of call.

My relatives are from Missouri, the Show Me State. So, until he shows me something, I'm on board with the kid who has shown toughness, loyalty, and grit - Thompson. Hopefully, Berglund can learn some of those things from Thompson and contribute in the future as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

They also could have helped us get to a bowl game. I would rather play in a bowl game at UNT, then ride the pine and watch from the sideline 4 years at OU.

Can we first get back to back wins, and then we'll start talking about a bowl game... What is it now 8 years in a row we haven't won B2B games?

• Upvote 2

I wish the best for Berglund. But, for me, seeing is believing. I've already said I'm completely on board with him winning the job.

Completely? I thought you were afraid he might run out of the stadium never to be heard from again?

• Upvote 2

What does Drew Allen have to do with Berglund? Allen has playing experience and hasn't jumped around; so, he's a more stable character. Besides, what's the problem with wanting a kid from a winning program to finish his career here?

We take on transfers from all over. OU just happens to be about an hour and half up the road, and many of those who transfer out of there are from Texas. Why wouldn't we be interested in players transferring out of their program? When I was in school at UNT, we took on Reggie Finch from OU. We currently have former Sooner Marcus Trice.

Heck, McCarney even hired an OU grad assistant, Ryan Walters, to be our new secondary coach. So...what's the problem?

The kid may or may not win the starting job a Syracuse. But, had there been a sniff of a chance of him landing here, everyone should have been excited. And, more excited than with this Berglund because he has stayed in one place, played, and graduated. In other words, showed some stick-to-it-tiveness.

I wish the best for Berglund. But, for me, seeing is believing. I've already said I'm completely on board with him winning the job. But, that's the thing - he has to win it. He hasn't shown the ability to do that at other ports of call.

My relatives are from Missouri, the Show Me State. So, until he shows me something, I'm on board with the kid who has shown toughness, loyalty, and grit - Thompson. Hopefully, Berglund can learn some of those things from Thompson and contribute in the future as well.

Huh? I must have missed that buried somewhere in the dozen or more times you've trashed him.

So pointing out facts about his past is "trashing him?"

If you really want to see players trashed , swing by the basketball board.

Here is TFLF's comment about Berglund. Doesn't seem very factual but rather a far-fetched comment.

15 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

My fear is that Berglund will leave the field in the middle of the game and walk out of the stadium, never to be seen or heard from again. That's my fear. I don't have that fear with Derek Thompson. No matter how poorly the team around him is playing, he'll be there leading them.

Edited by UNTLifer

I do wonder if any yet know Berglund outside of his interviews and what they've read about him. If he felt like an outsider or as if he had no support in previous locales, the best thing to do is to get out and keep moving on until you find somewhere that feels right.

Hell, I don't know him either, but if that's anywhere near what he was going through, then North Texas is the best place for him because our unity through differences and eclecticism is one of our strongest suits. The point is, if he felt out of place or unsupported elsewhere, the worst thing we can do is to make him feel the same way with us. This may not even be on the mark, but it's something to consider.

We're like the Ellis Island of Universities. Those who are out of place and unwanted elsewhere tend to thrive in our community. I'm sure we could all think of at least a few examples to prove that point.

Here is TFLF's comment about Berglund. Doesn't seem very factual but rather a far-fetched comment.

I posted what I posted for shock value. But having him quit, it's a legitimate fear based on his history.

We want the best quarterback. If it turns out to be Brock in the fall, that's fine. But, given his history, I wouldn't be shocked for him to walk away when times get tough this this - and, I say when things get tough because they will due to the defensive line.

I don't think there will be a game where we are favored. And, yes, I know Idaho and UTSA are on the horizon. But, I still don't think there is a game where we are going to be running away with the score, not even against the Vandals or Roadrunners.

In short, there will likely be pressure on the offense with every possession. This talk of rotating the quarterbacks in games we have control of is what is far-fetched. I just don't think we are at a point, yet, where we say for sure that we're going to push this team or that team around to the degree that we can run in quarterbacks willy-nilly.

UNT looking past anyone, at this point, would be a mistake. I'm 113% positive Coach McCarney is drilling the same mindset into the team. It's been a long time since we've lined up across from anyone we could take for granted as a gimme W.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I posted what I posted for shock value. But having him quit, it's a legitimate fear based on his history.

We want the best quarterback. If it turns out to be Brock in the fall, that's fine. But, given his history, I wouldn't be shocked for him to walk away when times get tough this this - and, I say when things get tough because they will due to the defensive line.

I don't think there will be a game where we are favored. And, yes, I know Idaho and UTSA are on the horizon. But, I still don't think there is a game where we are going to be running away with the score, not even against the Vandals or Roadrunners.

In short, there will likely be pressure on the offense with every possession. This talk of rotating the quarterbacks in games we have control of is what is far-fetched. I just don't think we are at a point, yet, where we say for sure that we're going to push this team or that team around to the degree that we can run in quarterbacks willy-nilly.

UNT looking past anyone, at this point, would be a mistake. I'm 113% positive Coach McCarney is drilling the same mindset into the team. It's been a long time since we've lined up across from anyone we could take for granted as a gimme W.

No need to talk about a legit history of leaving programs, especially when it concerns a player in the football program that plays QB...

That just means your evil around these parts , mister.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So pointing out facts about his past is "trashing him?"

If you really want to see players trashed , swing by the basketball board.

I consider it trashing when you are constantly criticizing a player (Berglund) using selective facts while omitting mitigating circumstances.

He calls him a quitter for leaving Kansas when the new coach announces that he is bringing his quarterback that he recruited at Notre Dame with him. He wanted Berglund to play one year while his transfer had to sit and then it would have been out the door (or sit). I don't blame anyone for wanting to leave in that situation and I certainly wouldn't call them a quitter.

TFLF also criticized him for going to the Arizona JC. He explained that he went there so that he could play a year instead of sitting; then he planned to come here. When he found that he had to complete his apprentice degree before he could play here without sitting, he hooked 'em. Again, how does this label a person a quitter?

As Billy See pointed out, legal troubles (for which he was eventually no-billed) caused him to spend so much time in Colorado that he did not have the time to compete for a starting position his freshman year at Kansas.

Berglund came here at his own expense and chose us over several other candidates. We've never had a quarterback with his credentials in our history and I, for one, am damn glad that he did.

When you call a guy a quitter by selectively using certain facts to your advantage while ignoring reasons for such acts, then I consider that trashing him.

• Upvote 7

I consider it trashing when you are constantly criticizing a player (Berglund) using selective facts while omitting mitigating circumstances.

He calls him a quitter for leaving Kansas when the new coach announces that he is bringing his quarterback that he recruited at Notre Dame with him. He wanted Berglund to play one year while his transfer had to sit and then it would have been out the door (or sit). I don't blame anyone for wanting to leave in that situation and I certainly wouldn't call them a quitter.

TFLF also criticized him for going to the Arizona JC. He explained that he went there so that he could play a year instead of sitting; then he planned to come here. When he found that he had to complete his apprentice degree before he could play here without sitting, he hooked 'em. Again, how does this label a person a quitter?

As Billy See pointed out, legal troubles (for which he was eventually no-billed) caused him to spend so much time in Colorado that he did not have the time to compete for a starting position his freshman year at Kansas.

Berglund came here at his own expense and chose us over several other candidates. We've never had a quarterback with his credentials in our history and I, for one, am damn glad that he did.

When you call a guy a quitter by selectively using certain facts to your advantage while ignoring reasons for such acts, then I consider that trashing him.

So you're saying tdat your selective facts are better than TFLF's selective facts?

Ok.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2