OU QB Transfer Drew Allen, (6-5, 210) Alamo Heights

Harry

Yeah, a one year, transfer quarterback...that'd never work. Too complicated for a kid to learn a system and succeed in one year.

RussellWilson300.jpgRussell+Wilson+Tennessee+Titans+v+Seattl

This is nowhere near a comparable situation to Russell Wilson who started for NC State, then went to Wisconsin to also start. He was a superstar at both schools.

This guy sat at Oklahoma, and would come in here and encroach on our future by delaying it one season, if he could even beat out Berglund.

This is nowhere near a comparable situation to Russell Wilson who started for NC State, then went to Wisconsin to also start. He was a superstar at both schools.

This guy sat at Oklahoma, and would come in here and encroach on our future by delaying it one season, if he could even beat out Berglund.

Of course. It's highly debatable that a guy who backed up and got playing time at Oklahoma probably could beat out a guy who couldn't get on the field for Kansas...or, an Arizona JUCO.

The obvious competitiveness of an Arizona JUCO aside, everyone knows how much more competitive the KU football program is than OU. Also, I'm sure coach Stoops realized early on that a kid like Bergland would never sign with OU, so he didn't even bother offering him a scholarship.

Besides, this kid Allen's midset is wrong. He stuck around dutifully playing scout team, backing up, and getting his degree when he didn't win the starting job instead of kicking around. You'd hate to have a kid with that kind poor, me-first attitude in the locker room.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

this is what i said below. i will recant the first sentence....if he can win, lets get him on the field. i will not recant the rest of the post about getting a comfort level with our system and the team. qb is an on the field coach and is typically recruited with more scrutiny than say an offensive of defensive lineman since most schools sign only one, maybe two per year. is he enrolled and on campus and going to go thru spring drills?

i personally feel that a 1 year qb is no benefit. learning the system and getting a comfort level with the team...he has to be a team leader and you do not get that respect..most of the time..in one year.

Of course. It's highly debatable that a guy who backed up and got playing time at Oklahoma probably could beat out a guy who couldn't get on the field for Kansas...or, an Arizona JUCO.

The obvious competitiveness of an Arizona JUCO aside, everyone knows how much more competitive the KU football program is than OU. Also, I'm sure coach Stoops realized early on that a kid like Bergland would never sign with OU, so he didn't even bother offering him a scholarship.

Besides, this kid Allen's midset is wrong. He stuck around dutifully playing scout team, backing up, and getting his degree when he didn't win the starting job instead of kicking around. You'd hate to have a kid with that kind poor, me-first attitude in the locker room.

Beautifully-constructed sarcasm, but you neglected to address my point. Your comparison of Drew Allen to Russell Wilson is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

He may be better than Berglund. Who knows really? What we do know is that this dude would only be here for 1 year and would not be a lock to start (like your Wilson comparison) because Berglund has already endeared himself to his coaches and his teammates. Berglund's running ability is conducive to Chico's QB style (as evidenced by how well his team performed for 1/2 a season with Riley Dodge under center). Allen looks like a pure pocket passer, so we would see alot of the exact same play calls this season as we did last year (but at least would see an increase in completion %).

I like your game though:

The year is 2008. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops flexes just how stupid he is when he neglects to offer Lance Dunbar a scholarship, when the "#2-ranked" :rolleyes: RB in the country, Jermie Calhoun is committed. I mean, everyone knows how much more competitive the UNT football program is than OU. Also, I'm sure coach Stoops realized early on that a kid like Dunbar would never sign with OU, so he didn't even bother offering him a scholarship.

But hey, if the dude winds up coming here, fantastic! We'll have a QB battle, and that will only make all of our QB's better. I highly doubt he'll show up here though. I bet he goes somewhere he feels like he can start for certain, not enter into a QB battle.

Beautifully-constructed sarcasm, but you neglected to address my point. Your comparison of Drew Allen to Russell Wilson is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

He may be better than Berglund. Who knows really? What we do know is that this dude would only be here for 1 year and would not be a lock to start (like your Wilson comparison) because Berglund has already endeared himself to his coaches and his teammates. Berglund's running ability is conducive to Chico's QB style (as evidenced by how well his team performed for 1/2 a season with Riley Dodge under center). Allen looks like a pure pocket passer, so we would see alot of the exact same play calls this season as we did last year (but at least would see an increase in completion %).

I like your game though:

The year is 2008. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops flexes just how stupid he is when he neglects to offer Lance Dunbar a scholarship, when the "#2-ranked" :rolleyes: RB in the country, Jermie Calhoun is committed. I mean, everyone knows how much more competitive the UNT football program is than OU. Also, I'm sure coach Stoops realized early on that a kid like Dunbar would never sign with OU, so he didn't even bother offering him a scholarship.

But hey, if the dude winds up coming here, fantastic! We'll have a QB battle, and that will only make all of our QB's better. I highly doubt he'll show up here though. I bet he goes somewhere he feels like he can start for certain, not enter into a QB battle.

Yeah, TFLF seemed to dance around your question of whether or not it was a stretch to compare Allen to Russell Wilson.

Also, TFLF, what are you talking about that Berglund never sniffed the field at Kansas. That was because he was in Colorado away from the team the entire 2011 season. All reports indicate that the spring 2011, before his legal troubles, he was in contention for the starting job as a true freshman. Drew Allen was a third-string at OU behind Jones and Blake Bell.

Idk who is better, but you're bashing a player who is actually on our team and committed to the success of this program. I'd personally rather get behind our sophomore quarterback than your pipedream QB for one year Drew Allen, who "might" be the next Cam Newton or Russell Wilson.

Good grief! Soon to be 37 responses to a thread that bordered on being frivilous. We don't need a one-year quarterback at this time, even if we could get him. And, that is if we could afford the scholarship, which we can't.

Is the post an exultation of Drew Allen or a condemnation of Brock Berglund?

There are no absolutes in college football but to me Brock Berglund comes pretty close. He was the 14th/15th rated dual quarterback in the nation as a senior. He led his team to be an undefeated champion as a senior. He threw only five interceptions for the year. He chose Kansas after multiple offers. He was even a member of his school's state championship sprint relay team so I'd think that would make him pretty fast. Did I mention that he is a dual quarterback? He can beat you running or passing.

Why did he leave Kansas? It's my understanding that Charlie Weis was bringing his quarterback recruit from Notre Dame who had to sit for a year. He wanted Berglund to be the quarterback for a year and then Charlie would insert his guy. For that reason, Weis refused to give Berglund a release until it was too late to latch onto any other FBS team. Apparently, Brock believed that he could use his year of sitting by playing at a junior college. When he found that he had to graduate from the JC before he was eligible to compete at the FBS level he opted for North Texas. He chose us over several programs that he scouted at his own expense and I'm thankful that he did.

As a scout quarterback, I hear that he has been very effective against our defensive teams. A mobile quarterback helps keep defenses honest because he is as much a threat to run as the running back (ok, almost). He also seems to be a good passing QB and the receivers that he's been working with are singing his praises. His presence should make North Texas more hopeful of success and boost ticket sales.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

QBs get hurt. We need all the depth we can get, whether this kid is a starter or second teamer.

You get the opportunity to win the job. Doesn't mean it'll happen.

QBs get hurt. Just look back at the Tulsa game if you need to know how bad our QB depth is at this point.

I'd take this kid in a second.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

QBs get hurt. We need all the depth we can get, whether this kid is a starter or second teamer.

QBs get hurt. Just look back at the Tulsa game if you need to know how bad our QB depth is at this point.

Maybe, but don't expect it. The word is that Mac only wants 4 qbs on scholly, plus the fact that we are currently full at 85 scholarships. Wouldn't be too surprised to see a few guys transfer or leave some other way after spring ball. Happens pretty much every year.
  • Upvote 1

Great. He's not coming.

• Upvote 1

Aside from possible problems with scholarship totals, I still don't see why we wouldn't want this kid. He wins the QB battle, great, helps us squirm into CUSA with an extra win or two, gives Berglund another year to work with the team before getting out onto the field as a starter. He loses the QB battle, that's also great. Berglund strains something and needs to sit out for a few minutes or a game, or we want to try some different plays with a different QB and a different skill set, Allen jumps in. Plus the ever-committed DT is still available as a solid, conservative option for certain periods (ahead by a little, need to run the clock down, he would have been awesome under Dickey) even if he doesn't "up his game", because I still think he has decent game-management skills even if he doesn't have the killer playmaker monster inside of him.

So again, aside from the bureaucratic/paperwork side of figuring out how we could work him in if we're out of scholarships, it seems to me that the benefits of taking a risk with him far outweigh the potential detriments of doing so. As an aside...is he eligible for an academic scholarship? That would be fairly convenient.

Because the transfer rule is that he must transfer to a school with graduate program OU doesn't offer, his list is down to Maryland, Syracuse, and Arkansas State.

So...he wants a degree that OU doesn't offer and neither does UNT? We have a ton of grad degrees available. What do they have that we don't? Degree-wise, that is (because I knew where that was going if I didn't add that). I'm pretty sure we would have something that OU doesn't...don't we?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

...is he eligible for an academic scholarship? That would be fairly convenient.

If you play football for a university, and are on scholarship, that scholarship counts as a football scholarship. No way around it, period. Could you imagine the number of academic scholarships schools like OU, LSU, UT, and the like would have if this was a possiblity? There would be no star rated players available for those schools outside of the AQ's.

• Upvote 1

Because the transfer rule is that he must transfer to a school with graduate program OU doesn't offer, his list is down to Maryland, Syracuse, and Arkansas State.

So which stands will you be sitting in throwing your panties towards Allen?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So...he wants a degree that OU doesn't offer and neither does UNT? We have a ton of grad degrees available. What do they have that we don't? Degree-wise, that is (because I knew where that was going if I didn't add that). I'm pretty sure we would have something that OU doesn't...don't we?

You would think. My guess is he ends up at Syracuse or Arkansas State. The Orangemen throw it around a ton. Ryan Nassib had 471 attempts last season...his backup had one attempt, so there's no one with much game experience on the roster. Nassib is tabbed by some to be a day one draft pick.

Allen comes from an OU program that also throw is around alot. Arkansas State looks to continue to throw it around as well with Bryan Harsin. Both are realistic. Syracuse will be in the ACC this year, so the competion there will be better.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think your points would hold more weight if you didn't appear to personally hold a grudge against Berglund and didn't have an apparent uncomfortable love affair with all things Oklahoma.

Came down to 'Cuse and NC State...both in the ACC.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4