My predictions for the next five years

emmitt01

1)Next year- we'll struggle and struggle mightily. IF multiple players haven't transferred the apologists will continue calling for a "cleaning of house" to root ot the delinquents. T-Mitch's absence will be apparent from day 1 but it will take until mid-season for some to realize that "hey, that guy did make us tolerable". If players do transfer prior to the season we'll see rounds of "good riddance" followed by rounds of "Benford deserves time to get 'quality' kids in here to relplace them. Either way, 12 wins is the ceiling.

2)Year two- Benford will have more of his players in here...and the results will be the same. By this point 2,000 will be the high water mark for attendance and many will refer to basketball season as "football off-season". Stubbornly, the apologists will refuse to call it a bad hire and will point to the relative "strength" of CUSA as a reason that 12-14 wins aren't his fault.

Year three- Since we hire and fire based on cost savings (we're the Wal-Mart of athletic programs after all) we'll cut Benfordd loose and will bring in a former head coach who had moderate success elsewhere but who "knows how to rebuild at a place like North Texas". He'll inevitably struggle but it'll be ok because the same apologists will now concede Benford as a bad hire and...wait for it..."it'll take time to clean up the mess left by Benford". 15 wins or so.

Year four- The new coach will bring better than .500 ball and a hint of excitement. By this point the DFW pipeline that JJ built will be a distant memory. Still, RV will be roundly applauded by the usual suspects as having made a brilliant hire because we have our heads above water.

Year five- We'll settle into the lull that will be our fate for the foreseeable future and will be one of those teams that is competitive but never sniffs the top of CUSA.

Make no mistake, our basketball fortunes are the story of Sisyphus. JJ rolled the rock to the top of the hill. Benford has rolled it right back down.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Just for informational purposes, CMJ and I are sitting in the MUTS section. A guy just leaned over to us and asked how we were doing. When we told him we bowed out he said "here?! You guys have got three guys who are pro level players." From the mouth of the enemy no less.

Just for informational purposes, CMJ and I are sitting in the MUTS section. A guy just leaned over to us and asked how we were doing. When we told him we bowed out he said "here?! You guys have got three guys who are pro level players." From the mouth of the enemy no less.

This is a cool post and all, but this is common knowledge.

Who has said CJ hasn't bought in? That's one I haven't heard.

Do think it humorous that some think some players will transfer out. While there may be an "invitation" to one or two to "transfer", I seriously doubt any will do so of their own accord.

Who has said CJ hasn't bought in? That's one I haven't heard.

Do think it humorous that some think some players will transfer out. While there may be an "invitation" to one or two to "transfer", I seriously doubt any will do so of their own accord.

So anyone who leaves was "invited" to?

That's not at all convenient, huh?

With CJ it is hard to say he is pro level quality because he has played so little due to injuries and academic issues. JW has come along by leaps and bounds this season. I can see him getting a look by some NBA scouts. We all know what T-Mitch is capable of.

With CJ it is hard to say he is pro level quality because he has played so little due to injuries and academic issues. JW has come along by leaps and bounds this season. I can see him getting a look by some NBA scouts. We all know what T-Mitch is capable of.

It's not hard to say CJ is not pro ready. It's actually very easy to say. His assist to TO ratio screams all you need to know. CJ MAY be.a 2nd round pick after his senior year.

Maybe.

Edited by UNT90

Was reminded of this...

Still need to clean some of the sloppy play up a bit...poor entry passes against the zone, and I think I'd rather Niko bring the ball up than Jordan Williams.

Nice to see 9 threes drop...finished 9-21, 43% from behind the arc...probably get that up to around 50% tonight if you throw out Jordan's forced 3s and Walton's 27 footers. The good 3s dropped and that's encouraging.

Chris Jones, if he stays with us for 4 years, will be the greatest player to ever don a Mean Green uniform. Right now he could go to any top 10 team in the country and be a 15 minute a night guy off the bench as a true freshman...he is the steal of this recruiting class and once he matures, gains consistency on his jumper and learns that the nifty pass need only be delivered once or twice in a game he will be un-guardable.

I think we would win 16 or more games next season. Give Benford into next season. If it fall s apart again then we can talk. This is one year and it is an absolute lie if you think that a single year will destroy our program. Again if we have another season like this next year then yes I am all in favor of talking about changes. I think Benford knows this game and has much higher expectations the previous coaches.... He realizes there is more to life then basketball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think we would win 16 or more games next season. Give Benford into next season. If it fall s apart again then we can talk. This is one year and it is an absolute lie if you think that a single year will destroy our program. Again if we have another season like this next year then yes I am all in favor of talking about changes. I think Benford knows this game and has much higher expectations the previous coaches.... He realizes there is more to life then basketball.

16 wins? LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

16 wins? LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

But but but that means we improved! Even though we missed our shot to take the next step.

Andrew: this program had been destroyed I know Benford is your boy but we only get a chance like this once in a generation. Since you don't see it let me lay it out for you. NBA talent (and 5 star recruit) surrounded by talented players (two of which are pro prospects). Mid level conference that should allow is to run up a very good record. One other top squad to provide a challenge, and loads of poeple noticing our situation. All of that combined with a decent non conference slate could have led up to an at large bid, and should have led to a respectable seed upon winning the conference tournament. Use that to get a more winnable NCAA game and we build momentum. That's the way Gonzaga did it. It's not an easy road, but that's the way road we have to travel. Instead of driving, bumford has us hitch hiking.

• Downvote 1

I predict in 5 years we are worse off than we were when JJ took over unless some bold but necessary decisions are made ASAP.

In five years? I am not sure we are not there next year if Benford stays.

This year team was better than Trilli's, but JJ never had a team that would not have beat this team including his first year bunch.

All I know is that the future CUSA opponents must be licking their chops when thinking of their games with North Texas.

Hey, drex...why don't you just take a nice vacation somewhere and chill for a few days? :thumbsu:

Inside joke folks...get over it!

We will win a lot of games and by the end of the season most of you will be puckering up to Benford and praising him He will continue to grow the program and we will get over this hump. 16 wins in CUSA (even the new one) is much better then 22 wins in the sunbelt....

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We will win a lot of games and by the end of the season most of you will be puckering up to Benford :ass: He will continue to grow the program and we will get over this hump. 16 wins in CUSA (even the new one) is much better then 22 wins in the sunbelt....

You make Zig Ziglar look like a pessimist.

We will win a lot of games and by the end of the season most of you will be puckering up to Benford and praising him He will continue to grow the program and we will get over this hump. 16 wins in CUSA (even the new one) is much better then 22 wins in the sunbelt....

You're doing a bit. I see through your guise. You don't really mean this crap.

Nope, don't try to keep the charade up...I know what you're doing.

• Upvote 1

You're doing a bit. I see through your guise. You don't really mean this crap.

Nope, don't try to keep the charade up...I know what you're doing.

Actually these are the exact words from my boy Gene who most people on here think is an idiot. But I would like to see how many people have had a full ride scholarship to play ball, coach in college and get a try out for the Ft. Worth Flyers... You know nothing about what you speak of and belittle those who do. It does not matter what I say because my words cannot overcome ignorance... Maybe Benford is not the answer but one year means nothing. A year of success or a year of failure. What matters is what happens in the long wrong. We still have a lot of extremely talented players coming back and a coach who knows this game and can win! I also believe you know very little of what has gone on behind the scenes this season. I am not saying I do either but I have heard of a few things and in all honesty a lot of things cannot be placed Benford. Give the man another year. If we only win 8 to 10 games next season then we can talk. This will also depend on injuries and off the court issues.

• Upvote 1

Give the man another year. If we only win 8 to 10 games next season then we can talk. This will also depend on injuries and off the court issues.

What about what happens on the court? We played some awful defense this year. This has got to improve.