Thanks RV

Green P1

I'll be first to admit, I thought Benford was going to be a great hire, I thought we should of hired someone else. But by no means did I think this will happen. I think the best thing to do is own up to your mistakes, if you think you have some... I don't think RV thinks his hire was a mistake though.

• Upvote 2

. I would love to have the time to look up everyone's reactions to the Benford hire and post hypocrites.

I was plenty fine with the hire when it went down because

1. It was a top assistant from a solid program everyone had heard of.

2. I didn't think anyone could possibly ruin what we had coming back with our momentum in a lower tier conference.

I was wrong.

It'd be nice if our athletic director was better at figuring out coaching hires than a random fan...

Nah.

• Upvote 4

So leave out the really awesome hire because it doesn't fit in your narrative.

KA turned the program around fairly well in her one year and Peterson's team was decent this year. And Mac is totally an incomplete. Shanice was a disaster and Benford seems to be the same. Dodge was...well.

But overall I think the coaching hires have been pretty good. I would love to have the time to look up everyone's reactions to the Benford hire and post them next to the "fire RV for the Benford hire" posts. I think there would be a lot of hypocrites.

I guess at UNT a 11-19 season ( down from 4 wins the previous year ) is considered decent

Without looking , I think Shanice won 11 games her 1st year too

#BeatIdaho

Edited by NT03

So leave out the really awesome hire because it doesn't fit in your narrative.

KA turned the program around fairly well in her one year and Peterson's team was decent this year. And Mac is totally an incomplete. Shanice was a disaster and Benford seems to be the same. Dodge was...well.

But overall I think the coaching hires have been pretty good. I would love to have the time to look up everyone's reactions to the Benford hire and post them next to the "fire RV for the Benford hire" posts. I think there would be a lot of hypocrites.

You classify 3 of the last 6 hires disasters, one as an incomplete, and cite one who was here only a year? And then say coaching hires have been "pretty good"?

And you want to cite a hire made 11 years ago as proof?

Talk about bottom of the barrel standards.

If you looked up those reactions, you would find several "whatever happened to hiring experienced coaches" and at least one "we'll, he can recruit, but we still don't know if he can coach" after Wesley committed (I know because I posted this myself).

Part of Being an intelligent fan is assessing information to form your opinion. Several were excited but changed their opinion when it became apparent that Benford couldn't coach. They processed the information/evidence and changed their mind. Nothing wrong with that.

Or we could all just keep cheering for Todd Dodge because we were excited by that hire, just like you, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Because RV can never be found pacing around eating rolaids by the handful, stressed about the shitty losses. The man just...doesn't...care.

Some men just want to see UNT burn.

That is what I like about RV the most. I think he is very sincere & passionate about UNT. I have zero doubt he wants us to succeed in every aspect from the very bottom of his heart. He genuinely cares about this University

Unfortunately , this is a results only business. That's why you see the top AD's and coaches around the country make millions & millions of dollars. He has some great results off the field (facilities ) , but a big majority of people only care about the W/L results

In the major sports this year UNT went 27 - 47 (2 wins which were vs DII teams ) that just won't make people happy

I think there is a good chance for positive turnarounds in FB & BB ( if TM returns ) next season , but it always seems like that & most are tired of hearing about potential

I'm a lifelong Cubs fan, so " wait till next year" is in my blood. I guess that somehow played a part in my decision to attend UNT

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 3

Because RV can never be found pacing around eating rolaids by the handful, stressed about the shitty losses. The man just...doesn't...care

Bad argument here. Someone can be really passionate and care a whole lot, but if at the end of a day they've done a bad job (or a less than satisfactory one), that dedication cannot justify keeping him around.

It's like you want to award him a "participation trophy" or something.

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 4

RV definitely does, in fact, care. But just because he cares doesn't mean he makes good hires. I do think McCarney will be our answer for football, RV hired someone with real success elsewhere. He didn't do this with Benford. And this should be RV's end. Hopefully a new President will demand success from RV or move on. RV has been great for us, but we've moved on. He got us the stadium, got us to CUSA, hired Johnny Jones, got baseball going, basketball practice facility and Super Pit upgrades, and got us McCarney. Inversely, he hired Shanice, Benford, etc.

• Upvote 3

RV definitely does, in fact, care. But just because he cares doesn't mean he makes good hires. I do think McCarney will be our answer for football, RV hired someone with real success elsewhere. He didn't do this with Benford. And this should be RV's end. Hopefully a new President will demand success from RV or move on. RV has been great for us, but we've moved on. He got us the stadium, got us to CUSA, hired Johnny Jones, got baseball going, basketball practice facility and Super Pit upgrades, and got us McCarney. Inversely, he hired Shanice, Benford, etc.

Overall, your post pretty much sums up how I feel right now. The only thing I would add in the negative column is that Mr. Villarreal hired Todd Dodge as well.

• Upvote 1

I do think McCarney will be our answer for football, RV hired someone with real success elsewhere. He didn't do this with Benford. And this should be RV's end.

Not to make this a football discussion on the basketball board, but how does a coach who is 29 games UNDER .500 when he is hired have "real success elsewhere?"

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Overall, your post pretty much sums up how I feel right now. The only thing I would add in the negative column is that Mr. Villarreal hired Todd Dodge as well.

Wow, how did I forget Dodge? Wow.

RV has been really impressive in developing facilities and working conference realignment. And, he does deserve immense credit for hiring Johnny Jones. However, he also made possibly the worst hire in the history of UNT athletics (Dodge). Then, he hired a guy (Benford) who completely destroyed (in a single season) everything that his one crown jewel hire (JJ) accomplished. Make no mistake about it; our once proud basketball program is now completely broken and about to have substantially less talent next year. We will be rebuilding from the bottom.

So, the great accomplishments of RV's one (at least in the major sports) solid hire were completely nullified in record time by yet another one of his massive mistake hires. Consequently, I don't know how you can rate his hiring record as anything but poor. McCarney may be an incomplete--but it is an incomplete because we're allowing him the time to dig out of the bottomless hole that another RV hire left us in (a hire that may have been one of the worst in all of college athletics over the past 10 or 20 years).

The only way for RV to rectify his own mistake at this point would be to pull a financial rabbit out of his hat and find a way to pay the buyout and replace Benford with a coach capable of an immediate turnaround--a turnaround that shouldn't be necessary for a program that just played with its self-proclaimed "best team ever."

• Upvote 3