Thanks RV

Green P1

If he thinks Benford did a good job with what he had this year, then surely he thinks JJ is John Wooden.

John Wooden? If he thinks Benford did a good job, then he must think JJ is Jesus Christ himself.

• Upvote 3

We are so insolvent that a group of donors led by Ernie Kuehne started and completed a basketball practice facility dedicated only to basketball. A new digital scoreboard was installed in front of the scorers table, and a new sound system and a center hung scoreboard has been ordered for the pit. When you add all of those things up, it does not come close to the 3 million that was donated. What do you think the balance is going to be used for? Lets see, donated to "basketball enhancehment fund". The problem is, no one except 15 people who scream on this board want to see Benford fired. So strap it up and get ready for next season, With Tony Benford as your head coach. I will be there sitting at every home game I can attend. I thought I was part of the solution, by doing everything in my power to give coaches and players tools to succeed. By attending every game I can home or road. But because I support Coach Benford, then I guess I am part of the problem. While you are dogging the best athletic director we have every had, why don't you start with Ernie and put on this board that he is the stupidest donor we have every had, because he supports Coach Benford and thinks he did a good job with what he had to work with this year. Call him out and say how stupid he was to write his SECOND million dollar check to support your university.

This is a team sport. In the university setting the team is Coaches, players, fans, donors, university support system. We are finally getting people around here that are supporting financially the way it needs to be supported. They are not on your side right now, and that is why Benford will be here.

All of those things are awesome. No question about it.

If Kuehne and all of the big donors get together and attend a basketball game, though, they won't fill a section. THAT is my point. Not that noboday agrees with our athletic depatment's dirction, clearly from your replies a few do, rather that we obviously don't have 5-10,000 that do and will attend a game. I'll take a coaching staff that draws in $200 by the thousands over the current state of affairs.

You, KRAM, and the usual suspects can label me the eternal pessimist, or write off my concerns because I don't give enough, but I just happen to be the vocal representative of the empty seats that 12-20 will bring you. How important are new facilities and facility improvements if nobody walks through the doors? Does Mr Kuehne have a million dollar promotions plan?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Emmit for the love of god. Get behind this guy. You had an opportunity to talk to him in Hot Springs, did you take it? You drove to Hot Springs to watch this loser, as did I. Why did we do that? I got so pissed off at a stupid muts fan at breakfast talking about "how they hadn't played a game and it felt like they already won judging from the long faces". Wonder how he feels now (unless of course he was only a fan of womens basketball).

He is our coach, and he is going to be our coach. Get your arms around it and support. I rate this season an F. A failure, a missed opportunity, but these kids are playing for our school, and these coaches are coaching for our school. If the ship does not get turned around then people are going to get fired. That is reality, but right now these guys are ours and they need our support.

• Upvote 2

Emmit for the love of god. Get behind this guy. You had an opportunity to talk to him in Hot Springs, did you take it? You drove to Hot Springs to watch this loser, as did I. Why did we do that? I got so pissed off at a stupid muts fan at breakfast talking about "how they hadn't played a game and it felt like they already won judging from the long faces". Wonder how he feels now (unless of course he was only a fan of womens basketball).

He is our coach, and he is going to be our coach. Get your arms around it and support. I rate this season an F. A failure, a missed opportunity, but these kids are playing for our school, and these coaches are coaching for our school. If the ship does not get turned around then people are going to get fired. That is reality, but right now these guys are ours and they need our support.

I never had a chance to talk to Benford. Was there a meet and greet? And, clearly, if I'm in Hot Springs to watch this utter train wreck I'm being as supportive as I can possibly be without signing hs checks. Why is it hard to understand that I will show up to watch any NT coach, but my capacity for masochism is the exception and not the rule? I'm just amazed at how our program spends as much energy trying to get the dissenters IN the fan base to fall into lock step as it does trying to improve the product to draw those OUTSIDE of the program.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We are so insolvent that a group of donors led by Ernie Kuehne started and completed a basketball practice facility dedicated only to basketball. A new digital scoreboard was installed in front of the scorers table, and a new sound system and a center hung scoreboard has been ordered for the pit. When you add all of those things up, it does not come close to the 3 million that was donated. What do you think the balance is going to be used for? Lets see, donated to "basketball enhancehment fund". The problem is, no one except 15 people who scream on this board want to see Benford fired. So strap it up and get ready for next season, With Tony Benford as your head coach. I will be there sitting at every home game I can attend. I thought I was part of the solution, by doing everything in my power to give coaches and players tools to succeed. By attending every game I can home or road. But because I support Coach Benford, then I guess I am part of the problem. While you are dogging the best athletic director we have every had, why don't you start with Ernie and put on this board that he is the stupidest donor we have every had, because he supports Coach Benford and thinks he did a good job with what he had to work with this year. Call him out and say how stupid he was to write his SECOND million dollar check to support your university.

This is a team sport. In the university setting the team is Coaches, players, fans, donors, university support system. We are finally getting people around here that are supporting financially the way it needs to be supported. They are not on your side right now, and that is why Benford will be here.

Sadly, they will be VERY disappointed next year with Benford. From your previous posts, I assume that will be enough to get the 15, or at least one of the 15 (you) convinced that Benford is not the right guy.

The only decisions I make are for myself. I don't call for silly boycotts or anything like that, but I won't be renewing season tickets. Why? Well, because it is a huge time investment for me, not to mention a financial (I drive from Granbury, so gas also is a major factor). I'll just come to the games I want to, pay at the door, and move down to a great seat (there will be plenty available).

If this is the standard that the 15 people that matter set for this program, I'll pass. Maybe the 15 people that matter should consider the message that sends to the fan base. You know, like a massive athletic failure is tolerated at UNT.

I would love to be one of the 15, but I don't have the financial assets available to be one. I am a club seat holder and mean green club member, though. My opinion doesn't matter nearly as much as yours, I get that and completely understand the ways of the world.

The message board is about the only place for fans like me to place my opinion. Does it matter? Probably not, but if any amount of pressure generated on here to end this colossal mistake makes you, RV, or any of the other 14 feel pressure to get rid of this disaster, then I think that's a good thing.

When we fail to win 10 games next year, will your position change? I only ask because you never answered the question in another thread.

I just hope this isn't a pride thing for your group and RV, because that pride could cause long term damage to this program.

As always, appreciate what you do for UNT athletics.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Peterson? From Wake Forest?

People really need to open their eyes about the Petersen hire. By many accounts, he was fixing to be fired by Wake Forest, and WF sure as hell didn't put a lot of effort into keeping him or else he would still be there. His body of work is really not that impressive and is right around .500, which is better than McCarney though...He won less games than KA with more talent. I don't dislike Petersen and like how involved he is in the games, but can we please stop acting like we went into Winston-Salem (or wherever the heck WF is) and strong armed a gem of a coach away from them. Reality sucks sometimes.

There were so, so many options other than Petersen that we could have picked up who had records of overwhelming success. Matt Daniel at Central Arkansas probably the most no-brainer of them. Oh well, I'll keep the faith.

• Upvote 6

I don't get the bolded. Is he supposed to recruit us? Will we be bowled over by his basketball knowledge? Will it change what happened this year?

Or (just a thought) has your personal relationship with him clouded your judgement on what should be done after this disaster?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You'll get nowhere. Easier and more fun (to some) to bitch, rant , & rave. Positive support not part of the vocabulary.

Nobody sees the season as more of a fail than the coaches and players. They know they've got to get busy to figure out how to prevent it next year. Evidently some of the folks on here believe it will get better by perpetually bitching about it. We'll see....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

You'll get nowhere. Easier and more fun (to some) to bitch, rant , & rave. Positive support not part of the vocabulary.

Nobody sees the season as more of a fail than the coaches and players. They know they've got to get busy to figure out how to prevent it next year. Evidently some of the folks on here believe it will get better by perpetually bitching about it. We'll see....

No, some of us believe that the coaching staff as current comprised is incapable of solving the problem. Think Vic Trilli.

Why do you feel the need to falsely state the position of those that disagree with you?

Constantly.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

We don't think bitching will improve anything. We think that improvement will only come with a new coaching staff, so we will bi+ch until the coaching change is made.

Huh? Wow, thanks for the clarification. It would certainly be hard to falsely state that. What you said, I guess.... As I've stated in the past, good luck!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Huh? Wow, thanks for the clarification. It would certainly be hard to falsely state that. What you said, I guess.... As I've stated in the past, good luck!!

Hey, I was at Lucky's Thursday night and at the games Friday. Where were you?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Get our arms around it and support him? Is that how you will be selling tickets for next season?
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

As always, watching Mean Green sports.

Well, did you spend money to make the trip to support the team and coaches?

I did.

So why don't you quit calling Benford critics bad fans. Why don't you quit trying to cal out people for criticizing "behind a keyboard" since 2 of the your buiggest "behind the keyboard" critics paid money to make a trip that the great Green_dude apparently didn't make, even though he is the team's number one supporter.

I did.

So why don't you quit calling Benford critics bad fans. Why don't you quit trying to cal out people for criticizing "behind a keyboard" since 2 of the your buiggest "behind the keyboard" critics paid money to make a trip that the great Green_dude apparently didn't make, even though he is the team's number one supporter.

Yes, Green_dude, bitch less...give more.

The disease is RV. The symptoms are-

1) this discussion. We are seemingly questioning every major hire rv has made since the 2007. No answer to this since I can't look into the future like some here.

2) ad's staff- printing tickets while the LSU bb game is going on shows me no attempt to improve the quality of NT fans game experience. Two athletic personnel said that he is 'too comfortable" in his office so his staff have gone there too.

3) NT administration & development are not seeing the problems you are talking/complaining about since we don't tell them.

4) the asst. ath. director for corporate (big donors) is always in the broadcasting booth rather than supporting prospective athletic donors.

5) SB tennis championships at NT had about 600 to 700 people at it with no consessions- several had to leave NT to get drinks/food=tennis made no $.

6) so we fire coaches & pay them to go away = who hires the next one rv; Would you have confidence in that hire? What will that cost?

7) with so many universities in TX, who do we compete with & are true competitors with since he arrived 13 years ago in any sport? What direction in ath?

...the list goes on & on.

• Upvote 3

I did.

Mmmm.... Please stop falsely stating what I've said, constantly. It so happens I was in Hot Springs. I also never stated anyone was a bad fan. I've never claimed to be the team's number one supporter.

I have consistently stated your bitching does no good. I've consistently said if you want change be part of the solution. Communicate with decision makers.

Good luck!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

So we need to get behind the guy, but we also admit that this season was a failure. I am always behind our players, they have an attachment to the university in the same way I do. The coaches, that's different. They are paid to win, and they failed in unexpected and total fashion. Our previous staff had basically the same group of guys winning and this staff couldn't build on that. I get that Benford is going to be here next year, but until given a reason, I am not terribly optimistic about the results we will see next year. I am not calling for him to be fired, but if next year goes in a similar direction, I will likely join the fray. We had a very talented team this year, and we did little to capitalize on that. That falls on the coaches. I don't really care about all the behind the scenes stuff that gets alluded to so much on this board. It is the coaches' job to get past that. Either way, I will continue to support the team, but I really want to see progress before I can get behind Benford.

• Upvote 2

4) the asst. ath. director for corporate (big donors) is always in the broadcasting booth rather than supporting prospective athletic donors.

5) SB tennis championships at NT had about 600 to 700 people at it with no consessions- several had to leave NT to get drinks/food=tennis made no $.

Have NEVER understood #4.

Number 5 is downright funny and typical at the same time. Sadly, not surprising.

• Upvote 5