All-Sun Belt team out, UNT pro day notes

Harry

The All-Sun Belt team came out today. Loryn Goodwin was the Freshman of the Year on the women’s side. Goodwin and Alexis Hyder were third-team all-conference picks.

Tony Mitchell was a second-team all-league pick. He should have been the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year.

I will get to that later, but first, a few notes on UNT’s Pro Day.

UNT had its seniors out at Apogee Stadium today to work out for NFL scouts.

Four scouts were on hand this year, down from about a dozen last year, when Lance Dunbar was the main attraction. Joe Greene was back again this year. He is a scout with the Steelers these days. Patrick Cobbs, who is working as a coach at a private school down in Dallas, was also there.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/03/all-sun-belt-team-out-unt-pro-day-notes.html/

I know Vito is reporting what he was told, but those 40 times are not accurate. I know that Power (4.8) and Fortenberry (5.5) were informed that they ran faster. Those times also were slow as multiple other watches had Power in the high 4.6's to mid 4.7's and Fortenberry in the 5.3 range. Another thing to consider on the bench reps- nearly everyone had reps knocked off due to not locking out all the way (which is allowed at the combine). The scout with the "official results"- an old man from the Titans who had a walker- was nitpicky and bent over backwards to sully the numbers.

• Upvote 2

I know Vito is reporting what he was told, but those 40 times are not accurate. I know that Power (4.8) and Fortenberry (5.5) were informed that they ran faster. Those times also were slow as multiple other watches had Power in the high 4.6's to mid 4.7's and Fortenberry in the 5.3 range. Another thing to consider on the bench reps- nearly everyone had reps knocked off due to not locking out all the way (which is allowed at the combine). The scout with the "official results"- an old man from the Titans who had a walker- was nitpicky and bent over backwards to sully the numbers.

Not locking out is not allowed at the combine. I watched at least two players get reps knocked off for doing so. I hope those 40 times that you posted are closer to the truth, otherwise they were ridiculously slow.

• Upvote 1

Not locking out is not allowed at the combine. I watched at least two players get reps knocked off for doing so. I hope those 40 times that you posted are closer to the truth, otherwise they were ridiculously slow.

It's not allowed in principle at the combine but not strictly or over-enforced like at UNT today. You'll see a max of 3 reps knocked off at the combine, not 10+ like there were in some cases today.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I was kinda wondering how Cantly had slowed down so much from high school, where I'm sure his 40 times were probably reported as faster than they were, but damn, that would have been a big drop. Glad to hear he's losing some weight, anyway, I always thought he came into fall camp needing to lose some.

• Upvote 1

I was in attendance at the pro day and I feel bad for the guys who actually have a shot that got lost in the crowd of guys that didn't play more than ten snaps in college. It looked to me the scouts got so frustrated with those guys during drills that they didn't even do position drills at the end. It's sad we let some of those guys come out there and do so poorly when we have a couple of guys that could legitimately represent this university at the next level.

• Upvote 1

I was in attendance at the pro day and I feel bad for the guys who actually have a shot that got lost in the crowd of guys that didn't play more than ten snaps in college. It looked to me the scouts got so frustrated with those guys during drills that they didn't even do position drills at the end. It's sad we let some of those guys come out there and do so poorly when we have a couple of guys that could legitimately represent this university at the next level.

Everybody gots to get a trophy.

• Upvote 1

I think Power catching routes was the only one who did position drills, correct? Don't believe Fortenberry did, but may have missed the others.

• Upvote 1