Facilities and momentum for the long term future.

Stan R

I mentioned in a post several months ago one key point in all of this.

NCAA sports are all about showing progress through facilities. If you don't capitalize on your "six year building of the program" by truly BUILDING something by way of facilities improvements, you are on some incredibly thin ice. We can slide back into pre JJ program status incredibly quickly. For our sake I hope we follow through on the jumbo trons and practice facilities and really take the program to the next level. At this point I see it as nothing more than lipstick on a pig for the simple fact that I don't see our athletic department really caring that much about basketball given their actions of late.

Is our account overdrawn? By that I mean did we put all of our effort and energy into building the facilities for football and then did we lose all of our steam for the basketball side, by way of making some minuscule improvements (granted, very desperately needed ones) and then calling it a day?

What is the long term plan facilities wise and program wise for basketball? Do we have one? Does a 5-10 year plan exist? If we crap all over the momentum we have built this will be very depressing. To me it feels like RV and company seem to me to make sure that the least amount of work is put into basketball to literally keep the lights on. That isn't enough for the guys like Tony Mitchell. It simply isn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You are just wrong about "as little as possible". Of the 3 million pledged for practice facility jumbotron etal i know for a fact over one million has been collected. the New floor level video board is already installed, and construction has begun on practice facility remodel. the jumbotron takes almost a year to make after order. a lot of this negatively right now is deserved, but to say that the bare minimum is being done is a slap in the face to the very small group of donors who without ANY help from through university made these projects happen. the lack of patience with some of you is amazing.

Pfft! I've been watching this program since 2008! How much have YOU given to the university?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are just wrong about "as little as possible". Of the 3 million pledged for practice facility jumbotron etal i know for a fact over one million has been collected. the New floor level video board is already installed, and construction has begun on practice facility remodel. the jumbotron takes almost a year to make after order. a lot of this negatively right now is deserved, but to say that the bare minimum is being done is a slap in the face to the very small group of donors who without ANY help from through university made these projects happen. the lack of patience with some of you is amazing.

Ok, fair enough. I'll accept that criticism. Yes, I would say that I am being impatient. That is my right as a long term supporter of this program who sat through countless basketball games with 500 of the other guys who I'll assume are guys like UNT90 and CMJ, et al. It pains me, PAINS me to see how things are falling apart right now.

I think what would shut people like me up on this is SOME SORT OF INFORMATION being put out by the athletic department on the progress of the situation. Honestly, it shouldn't need to come from the group of donors, that's not your (or their) job.

I'm going by the level of interest shown by our athletic department during Apogee construction. We had live interviews with the construction company, videos of construction, timelines, on and on including a webcam.

Do those things matter? Do webcams mean anything? They do. They do because they show the level of commitment to a program from the top levels of the administration. Where is that on the basketball side? Where is the financial commitment If it is there, someone please enlighten me because I just don't see it if this season was supposed to be one for the ages.

• Upvote 3

Ok. you already can see the New daktronics floor level video board. i had tony post a picture of construction work last week at practice facility. and no one has told me this but it was real important to get a certain amount of money in by donors by the end of this year so we could put a down payment down to get the jumbotron ordered. so i am assuming it has been ordered.i will confirm and get back to you.

• Upvote 1

Please don't take my frustration the wrong way. I almost fell out of my chair when I had heard that a group of donors put 3 million towards the practice facility and towards the new jumbo tron. To me that is unheard of in my time of following UNT basketball. I guess what I'm afraid of here is the possibility of us falling back in to extreme apathy. I hear people talking about it being too painful to attend games this year and that is the exact opposite thing that we should be doing. I'll be here on Thursday to see this for myself. I just hope everyone else will be too.

Edited by Stan R

Stan, I get the frustration, but not sure if it is fair to ding them for not updating on fundraising at this point. What's the marketing: come for the nearly 33% financed upgrades, stay for the perimeter passing?

It's a frustrating time, but, as annoyed as I am, I'm trying to at least give myself to mid-January to really pass an official judgment. My last three home games have made that very, very difficult.

• Upvote 3

Stan, I get the frustration, but not sure if it is fair to ding them for not updating on fundraising at this point. What's the marketing: come for the nearly 33% financed upgrades, stay for the perimeter passing?

It's a frustrating time, but, as annoyed as I am, I'm trying to at least give myself to mid-January to really pass an official judgment. My last three home games have made that very, very difficult.

Hmm. Thinking.

Yes, I think we do want to market it. I think we do promote improvements even in our current situation. It is separate from our current team's issues. What's the worst that could happen? Some people might roll their eyes? Oh well, at least they will see that we have more in the pipeline, that we as a program haven't given up. That we are committed to the future. Is that a bad thing? Will it cost us anything?

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure WHEN the time will come to make the change, though there isn't a lot of doubt in my mind that that time will have to come. However, if we get to that time, when it is obvious a change needs to be made, and we DON'T do it... then we know why we aren't a program like USF, or Boise St, or even a winning SBC team.

I don't care if the reason we don't do it is because of lack of leadership, or lack of funding... the bell has been rung and we'll see if we answer it.

• Upvote 2

Is there an official "donation site" for all of these basketball upgrades, 'cause I have not received anything in the mail from our Athletic Director asking me for a donation. What is the scope of the work, Mr. AD, how much is it going to cost, what is the target date for completion, etc., etc.

And Kram1, please don't ask me to contact you for directions on who to call to make a donation to this project. We have an Athletic Dept. that is suppose to do that job. Whether I can make a donation or not is "not" the issue.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 4

There is a committee. because we exceeded our goals for basketball, i would suggest a contribution to the baseball committee. i posted as a member of the committee back when the fund raising for this project was active and mark miller (kram1) was the only person to my knowledge that pledged. baseball is active now.

Why is this crap so secretive?

The only time anyone (sorry, anyone not having strings to the AD) here ever heard of a basketball practice facility/Super Pit upgrade committee was after Khuene had already put them over the top and all the money they needed was already raised. Now, you're telling me there's a fundraising effort going on for a baseball team?

I'm a Mean Green Club member (therefore more connected than just any regular alum, but obviously not as connected as some of you guys), and to my knowledge, I've never heard of the University's/AD's efforts to raise this money. Is my measly $50/100 not worth the effort? I bet there are many more folks out there like me, and our measly contributions would add up quickly.

And Deep is certainly right to ask for details before pledging. It's really hard to blindly give without being presented a vision.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

Strategy for baseball. we need a stadium and team. the long term strategy (who will coach, what Will the stadium look like, etc.) is actively being planned. when i made my stadium pledge 5 years ago there was no set of plans. the strategy was we need a stadium. every gift is important, but the function of the mean green club is to fund scholarships for student athletes, not facilities. The fact of life is facilities are built with millions. my stadium pledge required me to also donate annually to the mean green club, i am pretty sure it is the same at club level. Please understand that i personally, forget the athletic department, appreciate everything every person on this board does for this university. complaining means that you are interested and you care. i am smart enough to know that just showing up at games is the best some people can do, and those people have the right to be just as passionate about north Texas as i am.

The way our athletic department is setting things up is through networks. mean green club has mean green reps. major fundraising has committees. the story is better told by peers than by paid fundraisers from the athletic department.

• Upvote 4

Strategy for baseball. we need a stadium and team. the long term strategy (who will coach, what Will the stadium look like, etc.) is actively being planned. when i made my stadium pledge 5 years ago there was no set of plans. the strategy was we need a stadium. every gift is important, but the function of the mean green club is to fund scholarships for student athletes, not facilities. The fact of life is facilities are built with millions. my stadium pledge required me to also donate annually to the mean green club, i am pretty sure it is the same at club level. Please understand that i personally, forget the athletic department, appreciate everything every person on this board does for this university. complaining means that you are interested and you care. i am smart enough to know that just showing up at games is the best some people can do, and those people have the right to be just as passionate about north Texas as i am.

The way our athletic department is setting things up is through networks. mean green club has mean green reps. major fundraising has committees. the story is better told by peers than by paid fundraisers from the athletic department.

Thank you for some major clarifications...It lends to some minor concerns though.

Lets talk baseball!

Of course, it is easy to turn to major donors for large home run gifts, but us bottom-of-the-order guys who can bunt-sacrifice a guy from first to second to get him in scoring position also have a little to contribute too. Not as much as the home run hitter, but a contribution nonetheless.

And the thing is, we WANT to (well, some of us do). I guess I will call the AD myself. My fear is that they may tell me "no thanks, you're not in the right network"?

Will the baseball stadium have velvet ropes? If not, I'm out.

But seriously, two points:

The ever popular grass berm sucks. Don't do it.

For an example of how major league players do coaching the college game,I refer you Chad Kreuter at USC, and the holy one, Tony Gwynn at San Diego State. Don't do it.

Edited by oldguystudent

Ok. you already can see the New daktronics floor level video board. i had tony post a picture of construction work last week at practice facility. and no one has told me this but it was real important to get a certain amount of money in by donors by the end of this year so we could put a down payment down to get the jumbotron ordered. so i am assuming it has been ordered.i will confirm and get back to you.

The floor level board is tilted up about 30 degrees or so. From my seats, I get strong reflection of the ceiling lights.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="rws69" data-cid="696226" data-time="1355789790"><p>

The floor level board is tilted up about 30 degrees or so. From my seats, I get strong reflection of the ceiling lights.</p></blockquote>

Cruppled dollar bills and such, argh.

Is there an official "donation site" for all of these basketball upgrades, 'cause I have not received anything in the mail from our Athletic Director asking me for a donation. What is the scope of the work, Mr. AD, how much is it going to cost, what is the target date for completion, etc., etc.

And Kram1, please don't ask me to contact you for directions on who to call to make a donation to this project. We have an Athletic Dept. that is suppose to do that job. Whether I can make a donation or not is "not" the issue.

No problem Deep. I see it is not information you want, it is just that you want that info to come from a certain area. No problem...pick up the phone and call anyone you want in the athletic department. Somehow I found out that it was going on and made the donation that flyonthewall mentioned. A small one indeed compared to others who really stepped up for this project, but I found out about it and agreed to help with what I could at the time. And, will help as I can with the baseball stadium as well. How will I get the details? I'll either pick up the phone and call or I will see someone who should know around at a game and ask them. Part of the problem UNT has is that it has too many people who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. And, let's be 100 percent clear here...I am NOT talking about you, Deep...so don't even think about misunderstanding what I am saying here or to whom the comments are directed.

If someone wants to help, they will. And, those who want to help now know the projects are going on....so proceed as you wish. Donate or do not donate, pick up the phone or do not...your call. But, don't use the I did not know this stuff was going on as an excuse any longer. We all know....Flyonthewall is correct...the Mean Green Club focuses on scholarship monies, but those folks can certainly get you in touch with those that work in the facilities area. It really is not a secret...it all has been on this board even in several threads.

Appreciate all you do, DeepGreen. You have supported this program for many years with your treasure and time. So, again, do not mis-understand. But also understand that you can always touch bases with me and I will do all I can to help...not only you but anyone. It is not about who knows what...it is about trying to help the Mean Green anyway I can....and to help any member of the Mean Green Nation if I can.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No problem Deep. I see it is not information you want, it is just that you want that info to come from a certain area. No problem...pick up the phone and call anyone you want in the athletic department. Somehow I found out that it was going on and made the donation that flyonthewall mentioned. A small one indeed compared to others who really stepped up for this project, but I found out about it and agreed to help with what I could at the time. And, will help as I can with the baseball stadium as well. How will I get the details? I'll either pick up the phone and call or I will see someone who should know around at a game and ask them. Part of the problem UNT has is that it has too many people who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. And, let's be 100 percent clear here...I am NOT talking about you, Deep...so don't even think about misunderstanding what I am saying here or to whom the comments are directed.

If someone wants to help, they will. And, those who want to help now know the projects are going on....so proceed as you wish. Donate or do not donate, pick up the phone or do not...your call. But, don't use the I did not know this stuff was going on as an excuse any longer. We all know....Flyonthewall is correct...the Mean Green Club focuses on scholarship monies, but those folks can certainly get you in touch with those that work in the facilities area. It really is not a secret...it all has been on this board even in several threads.

Appreciate all you do, DeepGreen. You have supported this program for many years with your treasure and time. So, again, do not mis-understand. But also understand that you can always touch bases with me and I will do all I can to help...not only you but anyone. It is not about who knows what...it is about trying to help the Mean Green anyway I can....and to help any member of the Mean Green Nation if I can.

"Somehow you found out"???? What the hell is that supposed to mean to the rest of us?........You're making all my point! Am I supposed to call and check in with the AD periodically to see if they have "something going on", and offer my donations? You guys live in the DFW-Denton area. Did you know that there are out-of-town diehards who wish the AD was more in touch? Some could be steady donors.

I get a season ticket order form for football once a year. Everything else is by some stupid e-mail campaign!

I refuse to call our AD and ask if there is anything I can help them with financially. They need to start earning their keep.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

It seems to me it is like any major fundraising campaign. You line up the big guns first before you go after the smaller donors. The football stadium was the same. Most capital campaigns are like that.

My guess is with the basketball upgrades, they didn't realize they would hit (exceed) their goals with just major donors. They would have likely asked for general contributions if they needed them. So same with baseball. When they need others, they will let us know.

In the mean time, you can always go on to the UNT fundraising site and donate money. You can even designate where you want the money to go. But even just donating to athletics in general means that is 50-100-200-whatever that the AD does not have to spend on the general budget and can devote to new projects.

Can I specify that my donation go to the recruitment of a 6'3" shooting guard with a 6'8" wingspan, a 43 inch verticle, and NBA 3 range?

If so, sign me up.

• Upvote 3

"Somehow you found out"???? What the hell is that supposed to mean to the rest of us?........You're making all my point! Am I supposed to call and check in with the AD periodically to see if they have "something going on", and offer my donations? You guys live in the DFW-Denton area. Did you know that there are out-of-town diehards who wish the AD was more in touch? Some could be steady donors.

I get a season ticket order form for football once a year. Everything else is by some stupid e-mail campaign!

I refuse to call our AD and ask if there is anything I can help them with financially. They need to start earning their keep.

For gosh sakes, really? You expect the AD to personally call you and ask for $50 donation so they can buy a new door mat? As they should, the Athletic department focuses their time on the big fish, you don't get a new stadium or a new bball practice facility with $500 donations. You get it with $500K to multi-million dollar donations. RV and team have raised more money than most have thought possible for tennis, softball stadium, soccer stadium, part of the football stadiun, bball practice facility, etc. Now you are going to criticize cause they don't send you an engraved invitation to donate? For small time donors (less than $500K), thats what the mean green club is for.

Donating to Athletics or any part of UNT is painfully simple. Here is where you go: http://endow.unt.edu

Its pretty much always up and has been for ages. click the DONATE button in the top right, the next page you can pick the area of athletics, a college or whatever else you want to donate to for UNT.

• Upvote 5

I believe that the donations for basketball practice facilities and improvements was the project of Skip Kuehne and did not go through the Athletic Department fund raisers. The goal was exceeded so donations for that project is no longer necessary. The next project requiring funding is a baseball stadium. I don't think that there is a leader outside the AD for that so I would assume that you will receive a call, mailing, etc. for that capital project. Doubtful that those plans have been finalized.