Eye For QB Talent

DeepGreen

Didn't know where to put this- Harry you can move it to the appropriate section.

From the local rag-

"Texas’ Mack Brown can’t be too thrilled about the probability Texas A&M freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel is going to win the Heisman Trophy. If it happens, and it’s hard to believe that it won’t, Mack will go down in recruiting lore as the head coach who told back-to-back Heisman winners — Robert Griffin III and Manziel — that they didn’t measure up to playing quarterback at UT. And he did it in conjunction with a period when the Longhorns’ QB play has left a lot to be desired. At least Brown made Griffin a scholarship offer as an “athlete.” He didn’t even think enough of Manziel to offer him as a defensive back. Throw in another great QB he snubbed — Drew Brees out of Austin Westlake — and that’s quite a trifecta of bad judgment for Brown."

I know recruiting can be a hit or miss, but geeze!

Typical arrogance of many head coaches. Always looking for prototype and not heart. Reminds me of the tuna. If I recall correctly, he said that he would not have even drafted Nguyen. Not saying they should offer a bunch of Rudys, but learn lessons from the ones that got away.

Yeah... Mack Brown sucks at finding QBs. He only landed Chris Simms, Vince Young and Colt McCoy.

And how many of them are starting NFL QBs. ZERO. Hell an old rookie beat McCoy out in CLEVELAND.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yeah... Mack Brown sucks at finding QBs. He only landed Chris Simms, Vince Young and Colt McCoy.

Not sure how that helps Mack's reputation. He landed Chris Simms but benched Major Applewhite to do it. Simms won a lot of games but was known for choking in the big games -- whereas Applewhite is remembered as a winner.

He also recruited McCoy who was a 3 star recruit at the time. I don't think McCoy had lots of offers from other programs. Perhaps they saw something in McCoy that no one esle saw. If so, they were smarter than eveyone else. However, I think McCoy was recruited to be a good back-up up to Vince Young/Jevan Snead and they simply lucked into greatness . . .

Vince Young was the only highly recruited qb that met the hype. Even then, they had to change their offlense to fit VY's style.

Conversly, look at Gilbert -- higly recruited but an obvious bust . . . . .

No one in Texas (save Rice) wanted Manziel, initially- not even A&M. Sherman had to be convinced to give the guy a shot at QB. Even his current coach, Kevin Sumlin, passed on recruiting him to UH. That, to me, is the coolest part of this terrific story.

Manziel is a special talent. But so is that pro-style O-line that Sherman installed. You know, the one that will likely contribute a pair of outstanding tackles to the first round of the upcoming NFL draft.

It's also worth mentioning A&M also recruited and offered Gilbert. They didn't get him. Lucky them, right?

• Upvote 2

I think that Mack is a great recruiter. I think that any of those guys he turned down, including RG III and Johnny Manziel, weren't as good as what he had already signed or thought he had. The problem down there at Club Med-Austin is that their players are coddled and adored, thus their development falls apart. I'm convinced that Colt McCoy developed the way he did as a freshman because he was a coach's kid and that aided his development. Gilbert was supposed to be all-world, just like Simms was and Chance Mock and David Ash and...The real problem that Texas has is that their recruits all get ranked high because they get recruited by Texas--and their media alums just make a fortune on propping them up. In reality, many of those 4-5* kids they get aren't any better than what A&M, Tech, Baylor, and TCU have been getting. The difference has been that the coaching under Sumlin, Leach, Briles, and Patterson has been much better, which has allowed them to beat Texas (or in A&Ms case, would beat them). Mack has done a very good job at Texas, turning them around in a way that Texas fans hadn't seen since the Royal and Akers years. But 15 years is a long time and the program appears to be on a downside slide that won't be tolerated much longer. The Cotton Bowl between A&M and OU is a no-win deal for Texas. Oklahoma wins and they continue getting top Texas HS recruits to look north of the Red River. A&M wins and they have all of the momentum now with Texas HS recruits. In a weird way, it might actually benefit Texas MORE if OU wins the Cotton Bowl, since they already recruit evenly with them and they lost to them again by 40. If A&M can say that they beat OU on a neutral field after OU prison-raped UT (again) on a neutral field, the Aggies are going to clean up in recruiting. Its gonna look like its 1985 all over again in this state.

• Upvote 2

I think that Mack is a great recruiter. I think that any of those guys he turned down, including RG III and Johnny Manziel, weren't as good as what he had already signed or thought he had. The problem down there at Club Med-Austin is that their players are coddled and adored, thus their development falls apart. I'm convinced that Colt McCoy developed the way he did as a freshman because he was a coach's kid and that aided his development. Gilbert was supposed to be all-world, just like Simms was and Chance Mock and David Ash and...The real problem that Texas has is that their recruits all get ranked high because they get recruited by Texas--and their media alums just make a fortune on propping them up. In reality, many of those 4-5* kids they get aren't any better than what A&M, Tech, Baylor, and TCU have been getting. The difference has been that the coaching under Sumlin, Leach, Briles, and Patterson has been much better, which has allowed them to beat Texas (or in A&Ms case, would beat them). Mack has done a very good job at Texas, turning them around in a way that Texas fans hadn't seen since the Royal and Akers years. But 15 years is a long time and the program appears to be on a downside slide that won't be tolerated much longer. The Cotton Bowl between A&M and OU is a no-win deal for Texas. Oklahoma wins and they continue getting top Texas HS recruits to look north of the Red River. A&M wins and they have all of the momentum now with Texas HS recruits. In a weird way, it might actually benefit Texas MORE if OU wins the Cotton Bowl, since they already recruit evenly with them and they lost to them again by 40. If A&M can say that they beat OU on a neutral field after OU prison-raped UT (again) on a neutral field, the Aggies are going to clean up in recruiting. Its gonna look like its 1985 all over again in this state.

Agreed. The issue with Mack isn't recruiting. The issue has always been development. He recruited Simms and Young, but he didn't develop them. If you're a self-motivated, football-smart type kid, you'll be fine. Otherwise...

How can you even mention Simms with the other two ? Simms only played because of his father, and they sat Applewhite because of it.

Simms was the No. 1 recruit in the nation who turned into a 3rd round draft pick. While his college career did not measure up to Young, McCoy or even Applewhite (a Mackovic recruit) he still had a college career better than any UNT QB ever other than maybe Steve Ramsey.

What does that have to do with college football? How many of those played for a national title? Colt would have won one too if he hadn't got hurt.

It's got as much to do with Mack Brown's coaching ability as you mentioning them. If Brown were such a great coach, he would have the No. 1 QB recruit every year. Mack is a better than average recruiter that has a strong program to sell. He has only one Conference championship, it happens to be the year texas won the Mythical National Champioship. The Whorn fans wish that Muschamp was their head coach now. Very few Mack backers still out there.

And how many of them are starting NFL QBs. ZERO. Hell an old rookie beat McCoy out in CLEVELAND.

Tell me how success in the pro game has anything at all to do with how one performed in college? Seems to me it says how they are as pro QB's, but has ZERO to do with their abilities as a college level QB. Also tell me...when a college coach is looking for QB..what does his evaluation as a possible pro QB has to do with anything? Lots of great college QB's do not turn out to be great pro QB's. College coach has a job to do...win college games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1