Setting the record straight on Mac's recruiting

Harry

How'd that work for you with Todd?

No, we're talking about your lame attempt to take a shot at me personally, veiled within a "he's a coach...you're not" inference. And we're talking about how this "he knows more about football than a layman" argument has been employed by you, and others, since Dodge was here. So, in a way, we're talking about both men.

But, just to be clear, I have never been a college head coach. There, I said it. Likewise, I've never been an airline pilot...but if my flight starts to nose dive I'm gonna doubt the skill of the captain.

Since analogies are lost on you (I'm shocked) let me put it bluntly. You make the argument that Mac has shown "progress" bevause he has dwarfed Todd Dodge's win totals. Todd Dodge. The worst D1 coach in our school's history...by a loooooong way. Even you admit he was abysmal. So how, then, is ot to be celebrated when Mac does better? By merely rolling the team out there he wins by default. Call me a "hater" when you're not defining the Cyclone Savior's success by comparing him to an empty suit.

So wait, are we comparing him to Dodge or not?

Since analogies are lost on you (I'm shocked) let me put it bluntly. You make the argument that Mac has shown "progress" bevause he has dwarfed Todd Dodge's win totals. Todd Dodge. The worst D1 coach in our school's history...by a loooooong way. Even you admit he was abysmal. So how, then, is ot to be celebrated when Mac does better? By merely rolling the team out there he wins by default. Call me a "hater" when you're not defining the Cyclone Savior's success by comparing him to an empty suit.

I think the problem is you can't stand someone not agreeing with you. Sorry, but I will be blunt. Shaft is right about the situation Mac took on last year and you are too arrogant to admit he is right. Mac is a coach and you are not. He has sat on the toilet and thought about more football than you could ever imagine.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

I think the problem is you can't stand someone not agreeing with you. Sorry, but I will be blunt. Shaft is right about the situation Mac took on last year and you are too arrogant to admit he is right. Mac is a coach and you are not. He has sat on the toilet and thought about more football than you could ever imagine.

OOOOh, He said emmitt don't know Poop about football. On a Football message board. I guess he told you, emmitt. UNTLifer used his superior knowledge to put you in your place as just a fan. #MAJOR SACRCASM.

• Downvote 1

According to Rivals: We have 10 verbal commits. All are rated 2 star. Of the 10 that are committed, only 3 have offers from other schools (Nelson-1, Schilleci-1, Scott-1). All are from Texas except Berglund and he is considered a transfer.

Houston (CUSA/Big East) has 7 commits from the state of TX, all 3 star. SMU (CUSA) has 14 commits from the state of TX with 6- 3 star, 5 - 2 star and 3 not rated.

If this is the best we can do in the state of TX, we need to branch out and recruit elsewhere and continue to use jucos. The HS class is weak.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I can't believe that line of thinking wasn't used in the Rodney King beating trial. "Your honor, these allegations are ridiculous. This man says my clients beat him. He doesn't know a thing about police brutality. My clients are police officers...and he is not!!!"

The "he does it professionally so you couldn't possibly recognize his mistakes" line of reasoning is flawed, fatally so. Have you ever been President of the U.S.? Are you then required to be silent about their policies? Have you, or Shaft, ever been a chef? You apparently have no right to critique food. I'm certain you've never directed a motion picture. You'd give every movie you see two thumbs up then obviously...professionals spent serious time on the toilet thinking of how to shoot those scenes.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Another losing season, another "I'm the best most knowledgeable had carnal relations with Hayden Fry," pissing contest.

Turning on each other is the most counterproductive thing we can do.

We're all frustrated. This should be a safe place to vent frustrations, not a channel for strutting feathers of longevity, knowledge, or preferred logo.

• Upvote 1

According to Rivals: We have 10 verbal commits. All are rated 2 star. Of the 10 that are committed, only 3 have offers from other schools (Nelson-1, Schilleci-1, Scott-1). All are from Texas except Berglund and he is considered a transfer.

Houston (CUSA/Big East) has 7 commits from the state of TX, all 3 star. SMU (CUSA) has 14 commits from the state of TX with 6- 3 star, 5 - 2 star and 3 not rated.

If this is the best we can do in the state of TX, we need to branch out and recruit elsewhere and continue to use jucos. The HS class is weak.

I hate to add insult to injury, but Texas State has 10 recruits. 2 of which are 3 star and the other 8 are two stars. UTSA has 9 commits, 1 of whom is 3 stars and the other 8 are two stars. UTEP has 7 commits. 1 is 3 stars, four are 2 stars and one is unranked.

According to rivals, UNT has the weakest class out of all the Texas FBS schools.

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 1

That is not correct. McCarney signed him in his first class in 2011. By the way, he is turning out to be pretty good despite being a two star recruit with NT pretty much being his only offer.

That is correct. He had already verbally committed to UNT the summer before Dodge got fired, and Coach Mac honored the commitment. So give Coach Mac credit for honoring the commitment, but don't say Coach Mac was the one who got Derek to commit.

The thing is is everyone is going to use next year as a measuring stick for success, but the talent level we play against will probably be better. So, I don't see our record being much better if better at all. Our talented players might look mediocre and average players look bad. This will give the Mac haters something to point at and say, see he's not improving. It will also give the supporters another reason to give him one more year.

I think to say he's not recruiting well is premature, next season it will be easier to tell. However, I've always heard that you recruit ol, dl,cb's and qb's and Mac hasn't done much recruiting of corners or quarter backs. Next year will give us a good idea of how well he's done on ol and dl.

So far his coaching has far better than the previous staff and it seems better than the dd days when I first started following the team, but its hard to compare them.

So, I'm afraid we'll be having this same argument next year. Fun for us.

That is correct. He had already verbally committed to UNT the summer before Dodge got fired, and Coach Mac honored the commitment. So give Coach Mac credit for honoring the commitment, but don't say Coach Mac was the one who got Derek to commit.

I was going by Rivals that shows his commitment date as December of 2010 which is after Dodge was fired.

I can't believe that line of thinking wasn't used in the Rodney King beating trial. "Your honor, these allegations are ridiculous. This man says my clients beat him. He doesn't know a thing about police brutality. My clients are police officers...and he is not!!!"

The "he does it professionally so you couldn't possibly recognize his mistakes" line of reasoning is flawed, fatally so. Have you ever been President of the U.S.? Are you then required to be silent about their policies? Have you, or Shaft, ever been a chef? You apparently have no right to critique food. I'm certain you've never directed a motion picture. You'd give every movie you see two thumbs up then obviously...professionals spent serious time on the toi

let thinking of how to shoot those scenes.

The point being made is the state of the program when he was hired, which none of us really know what it was like, and the talent of his recruits, which are.in either their first or second year, which I believe is too early to grade them. I will trust Mac over a Dallas police officer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We absolutely must kill any thought of giving next year's "tough" schedule any of the blame if Coach Mac does not turn this thing around. Is it me or does the Sun Belt seem tougher than CUSA and gettting better? I could see MTSU, Arkie State and ULM beating all of CUSA and giving La Tech and Tulsa a run for their money. UNT must expect to beat Rice, UTEP, Tulane, UTSA and UAB for starters. You must have a high bar for this team to strive for. Fans help set the expectation and I expect 6 wins at a minimum.

GMG

I was going by Rivals that shows his commitment date as December of 2010 which is after Dodge was fired.

I just did a couple of quick searches, and it looks like you're right as far as I can see. I could have sworn that he committed that summer along with Marcus Smith and Jamone Greer.

I apologize for misspeaking.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

My biggest complaint has to do with QB recruiting. When we didn't land one last year you'd think there'd be a huge emphasis on getting one this year. I'm sorry, but Dajon Williams is not enough. He isn't a pure passing QB and many are already thinking he's going to be moved to another position. We're in the f'ing motherland of pass first QBs and have nothing on our roster to show for it. I'm tired of watching almost every other Belt, WAC & MAC school with a better QB.

If Brock gets hurt or isn't the real deal, we're so screwed and not just for next year. We've got to land a true QB. Hell, ULL landed 2 top 100 or 150 (position ranking) QBs last year if I remember correctly? I believe one or both were even from Texas.

Dead on here.

Lack of a QB recruit in DMac's 1st class KILLED this team this year. Don't tell me about Osbourne, because he was obviously a huge recruiting miss, something this program couldn't afford and will probably set the program back 2 years (says Mr. Obvious man).

Williams is an athlete. McNulty's arm is about 80% of Riley Dodge's and McNulty was recruited by NO ONE to play QB at the FBS level. Because he doesn't have the arm to play the position. DMac talked about only signing one QB in this class. That is insanity, especially if that QB is Williams.

So, let's take a look at what we expect to make us a better team next year:

A bunch of redshirt Defensive lineman who have never played college football.

A redshirt QB who has never played college football and may have been beaten out at QB at a JC before deciding at the very last millisecond to take a UNT scholarship.

A bunch of redshirt WRs who have not played one down of college football.

Could all these kids be studs that lead us to a special season? Sure, but I would put the odds of that at less than 5%. Most likely, we will hear again about howw young this team is and how we just need to be patient while we continue to build. Our depth at QB will be bad (Whether you blame DT or not, it really doesn't matter. The head coach has demonstrated zero faith in DT, so having DT, even as a back up, doesn't rreally help this team, because DT won't be allowed to help this team). If by some miracle, Burglund can adjust to the college game in his first year, we will still need him to avoid injury all year long, because we have recruited absolutely nothing to put behind him.

All in all, I would put the over/under on next season victories at 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the head scratcher is Osborn...whomever recruited him on the staff thought he would be insurance if DT did not work out...butto never see the field??? That was a major miss no doubt. Your point about landing juco DT's is true...that could have helped things especially if you had a pass rusher in the mix. Heck even Dodge did pretty well landing those juco DT's. Mac seems to be a build through high school period kind of guy and we shall see how that plays out.

I think the head scratcher is Osborn...whomever recruited him on the staff thought he would be insurance if DT did not work out...butto never see the field??? That was a major miss no doubt.

Especially when DMac so clearly has no faith in his starter. Even when DT came out injured and UNT faced a third and 7 or 8, DMac refused to let Osbourne throw the ball. Osbourne may be the only FBS back up with zero pass attempts this year. Not even in mop up duty (that I can recall).

• Upvote 1

You make the argument that Mac has shown "progress" bevause he has dwarfed Todd Dodge's win totals.

A few things to point out,

Dodge won 6 games verses Div 1 teams not in their transitional 1-A season, and Mac has won 7. Of course it took Dodge 4 years to do it. Then Canales won two more without him. Regardless, Mac has not dwarfed Dodge's win totals. Give him two more years and he probably will though.

And it didn't take Mac 4 years to win at Iowa State, it took him 6. 1 season in the Big 8 and the first 5 seasons in the BIg 12.

And to set the record straight, I'm not calling for Mac to be fired. I'm simply skeptical of the future from what I've seen so far. As fans we are given the right to be skeptical as we go to work each day mocked and made fun of for being the fools still carrying around the Mean Green water after an 8th straight losing season.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think the head scratcher is Osborn...whomever recruited him on the staff thought he would be insurance if DT did not work out....

And again, just skeptical here, but I'm simply pointing out that also "...whomever recruited him(Oz) on the staff..." is probably the same guy who also thinks Berglund is the Bee's knees for next season.

Rick

• Upvote 2

I wish I had all the answers like so many of our experts. It just must be easy to recruit big time HS recruits to UNT right now given the record over the last few years. Our experts seem to think so. So, I am just scratching my head trying to figure out why Coach Mac and Company just load up on 4 and 5 star guys. This level of HS recruit just must be begging to sign with UNT right now. Simply amazing....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wish I had all the answers like so many of our experts. It just must be easy to recruit big time HS recruits to UNT right now given the record over the last few years. Our experts seem to think so. So, I am just scratching my head trying to figure out why Coach Mac and Company just load up on 4 and 5 star guys. This level of HS recruit just must be begging to sign with UNT right now. Simply amazing....

I agree. Maybe Mac should hire some of the posters to steal those 4* and 5*s away from UT, OU, etc. On the other hand, it is Mac's job to find those 3*'s who are underrated and the others who are real sleepers. Lets hope he is able to do that this year in recruiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1