The way I see it.

trussbussdad

My 36 year career was in medical sales and distribution. In sales, your cup must be half full instead of half empty. I have been posting for several years, and have never seen as much negativity in all my life. Constructive criticism is acceptable and if fact should be encouraged. However,too many of us "would bitch if hung with a new rope." Just an old man's opinion,class of 66'.

• Upvote 1

My 36 year career was in medical sales and distribution. In sales, your cup must be half full instead of half empty. I have been posting for several years, and have never seen as much negativity in all my life. Constructive criticism is acceptable and if fact should be encouraged. However,too many of us "would bitch if hung with a new rope." Just an old man's opinion,class of 66'.

Well said...way too many folks here and around UNT always seem to look at the glass as "half-empty" and feel that the whole school revolves around the reputation of its football wins and losses. For the vast majority of folks here, college football is supposed to be a fun entertainment medium and a great way to spend a fall Saturday afternoon. Many act like the sun won't rise unless the team wins or some staffer doesn't get fired because they did or did not do something. Geeeeezzzzzz, Louise, folks...the negativity on this board and elsewhere is just "over the top" recently. Folks.....lighten up...it's college football! Want to have some serious issues each day? Go join my nephew as he packs up to leave Afghanistan for the 4th time! That, folks, is some serious stuff....this, on the other hand, is college football. Enjoy it. If you can't, you might consider what and why you are so negative. If the win/loss record of UNT football makes or breaks you day, you may just not have enough "day".

Great day today....BB game tomorrow evening...homecoming this Saturday...beautiful weather...and, oh yes, I'm heading out to play golf this afternoon on this beautiful Wednesday...someone please tell me what there is to be negative about in the scheme of things.....Relax, enjoy...it will make your life so much more enjoyable and those around you will enjoy seeing you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Well said...way too many folks here and around UNT always seem to look at the glass as "half-empty" and feel that the whole school revolves around the reputation of its football wins and losses. For the vast majority of folks here, college football is supposed to be a fun entertainment medium and a great way to spend a fall Saturday afternoon. Many act like the sun won't rise unless the team wins or some staffer doesn't get fired because they did or did not do something. Geeeeezzzzzz, Louise, folks...the negativity on this board and elsewhere is just "over the top" recently. Folks.....lighten up...it's college football! Want to have some serious issues each day? Go join my nephew as he packs up to leave Afghanistan for the 4th time! That, folks, is some serious stuff....this, on the other hand, is college football. Enjoy it. If you can't, you might consider what and why you are so negative. If the win/loss record of UNT football makes or breaks you day, you may just not have enough "day".

Great day today....BB game tomorrow evening...homecoming this Saturday...beautiful weather...and, oh yes, I'm heading out to play golf this afternoon on this beautiful Wednesday...someone please tell me what there is to be negative about in the scheme of things.....Relax, enjoy...it will make your life so much more enjoyable and those around you will enjoy seeing you.

How can you say relax? Can't you see we are in crisis mode?

The Mayan Prophecy is wrong. We won't make it to 12-21-2012 without another loss.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 1

So then, Stockstill was even more severly outcoached by Mac last year in the 52 point loss, right? And Stockstill suddenly became the better football coach by outcoaching Mac this year?

When you don't have the players, it's hard to outcoach the other coach.

I am not completely defending Mac, but to put this all on the coaching staff is kind of ridiculous, unless you are blaming them for not getting players in here quickly enough.

I'm with you about 99% of the time on every post but not this one. We still had the possibility of a bowl game and ten days to prepare and to come out that flat is inexcusable. Not defending Stockstill but the situation last year had nowhere near the importance of this year's meeting. The only incentive that day was ours...to get Dunbar his career record.

Rebuilding does not give you the excuse for not preparing. Dreary days and injuries are a part of football; that's where coaching kicks in. The reason that 85 scholarships are allowed (with no more than 25 freshmen) is to afford enough capable players in the event of injury, poor performance, or to rest the starters. It was the third straight poor first quarter performance and there have been others for this coaching staff. Had it occurred at LSU or Kansas State I could cut them some slack but there is not that much disparity in talent with MTSU.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 3

I'm with you about 99% of the time on every post but not this one. We still had the possibility of a bowl game and ten days to prepare and to come out that flat is inexcusable. Not defending Stockstill but the situation last year had nowhere near the importance of this year's meeting. The only incentive that day was ours...to get Dunbar his career record.

Rebuilding does not give you the excuse for not preparing. Dreary days and injuries are a part of football; that's where coaching kicks in. The reason that 85 scholarships are allowed (with no more than 25 freshmen) is to afford enough capable players in the event of injury, poor performance, or to rest the starters. It was the third straight poor first quarter performance and there have been others for this coaching staff. Had it occurred at LSU or Kansas State I could cut them some slack but there is not that much disparity in talent with MTSU.

Thank you.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

I think when Sun Belt "All Conference" players are announced at years end you will see what little talent we actually have.

I don't think I will be basing our talent level on an All Conference Team announced from the conference we are leaving. I just don't see the remaining conference members voting UNT and FIU players to the Sunbelt All Conference Teams this year.

I don't think I will be basing our talent level on an All Conference Team announced from the conference we are leaving. I just don't see the remaining conference members voting UNT and FIU players to the Sunbelt All Conference Teams this year.

Judging by both FIU and UNT's records, there is no reason for the remaining conference members to vote many, if any, players on to the All-Conference team.

Sorry...you must be mixing this board up with the "sky is falling and all is wrong with UNT" board.

No, this is the "Sky fell about 3 to 4 years ago and we are angry that the sky has only been returned to eye level" thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let me try again. With the exception of Chancellor, I see no playmakers on our team, and certainly don't see the amount of talent some of you keep refering to. We are not a very good team, and probably won't be for another year or two.Should be much better in Mac's 4th and 5th year. Just an opinion.

Let me try again. With the exception of Chancellor, I see no playmakers on our team, and certainly don't see the amount of talent some of you keep refering to. We are not a very good team, and probably won't be for another year or two.Should be much better in Mac's 4th and 5th year. Just an opinion.

Respectfully disagree about the "wait for year 5" philosophy.

Show improvement next year or it's time to move on. I actually think we will show improvement next year. If we dont, it will be because of the current staff's failure in QB recruitment/development.

There will be a mutiny around here if mac is given a 5th year while not posting a winning record in the previous 4, and rightfully so.

It's time we act like an FBS program. I'm sure Coach Mac fully understands this aspect of the current college football world.

I dont think it cones to thus, and hope and pray that it doesn't.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Respectfully disagree about the "wait for year 5" philosophy.

Show improvement next year or it's time to move on. I actually think we will show improvement next year. If we dont, it will be because of the current staff's failure in QB recruitment/development.

There will be a mutiny around here if mac is given a 5th year while not posting a winning record in the previous 4, and rightfully so.

It's time we act like an FBS program. I'm sure Coach Mac fully understands this aspect of the current college football world.

I dont think it cones to thus, and hope and pray that it doesn't.

I think he gets 5 years no matter what because of the mess he inherited. The mess he inherited cannot be overstated. It was complete incompetency at the college level - just look at Southern Miss this year and what Johnson is doing to that proud program.

What Mac has done right: 1) Improve depth by utilizing the redshirt system 2) Has his teams play non-pussified football 3) Institute a real strength and conditioning program

What Mac has got to figure out: 1) how to improve the defensive line - wheather it be juco or whatever, and 2) Upgrade the QB position.

Mac is Darell Dickey but with more energy, better public relations, better offensive schemes, better facilities, and a better conference to recruit to. Mac could learn one thing from DD - go get some juco defensive lineman.

what diamond eagle said

A. I think he gets 5 years no matter what because of the mess he inherited. The mess he inherited cannot be overstated. It was complete incompetency at the college level - just look at Southern Miss this year and what Johnson is doing to that proud program.

What Mac has done right: 1) Improve depth by utilizing the redshirt system 2) Has his teams play non-pussified football 3) Institute a real strength and conditioning program

B. What Mac has got to figure out: 1) how to improve the defensive line - wheather it be juco or whatever, and 2) Upgrade the QB position.

Mac is Darell Dickey but with more energy, better public relations, better offensive schemes, better facilities, and a better conference to recruit to. Mac could learn one thing from DD - go get some juco defensive lineman.

A. I don't think it was total incompetence. The most incompetent thing the previous coach did was bring all of his defensive staff with him, instead of retaining the previous defensive staff. If he had done that one thing, his record would have been much different.

BUT, if you are going to call the previous coaching regime a mess or complete incompetence, then how do you feel about the decision maker(s) who thought that hiring him was such a good idea.......and then stood by and let him bring the aforementioned defensive staff with him?

B. Mac is the best person to address the DL situation, but he needs to release control to someone else (good managers do this) to address the QB situation.

• Upvote 1

B. Mac is the best person to address the DL situation, but he needs to release control to someone else (good managers do this) to address the QB situation.

Not really disagreeing with you on this, but what is the basis of this assumption? I realize he was the Dcooridnator at Florida, has some reputation for being a "defensive guy" but here is the most important point to me:

College football is ALL about recruiting. Without gains here, it is tough to justify that someone is a great DL guy.

Until you show me DL recruiting improvement, I say this "reputation" of DMac as a great DL guy is unwarranted and just based on teams where he walked into already stacked decks talent wise.

I think that Rick made a grave mistake in allowing Todd to bring his high school staff with him. However, when he was first hired ,I heard very few naysayers, and his first spring game had the largest attendance we have ever had. I also think he was allowed to stay around too long because we just could not afford to buy him our. With few exceptions, most UNT football supporters are " all hat and no cattle." At some point we must draw the line in the sand, quit looking in the rear view mirror, and move forward .Tulsa is the "best in the west" in CUSA. How many of our present team could start for them? Lets keep that in mind when making comparisons and referring to all this talent we suppposedly now have. In my opinion,the Golden Hurricanes should be the benchmark of our program, and how we judge our players and coaching staff in the future.

I think he gets 5 years no matter what because of the mess he inherited. The mess he inherited cannot be overstated. It was complete incompetency at the college level - just look at Southern Miss this year and what Johnson is doing to that proud program.

What Mac has got to figure out: 1) how to improve the defensive line - wheather it be juco or whatever, and 2) Upgrade the QB position.

Every coach that goes to a losing program will say the same thing.

You get 3 years to fix it, or have it well on it's way to being fixed. That is life in college football. Our circumstances here are no worse than what Todd Berry inherited at perhaps the hardest-to-recruit-to school in America, with many, many, many more financial hurdles to face than UNT.

Year three for him is 2012.

That is the point.

And Coach Mac knows this, as do all FBS college coaches. Win in 3, or start lining up other employment opportunities.

Want more examples? How about:

Frank Solich at Ohio. 2nd year record 9-5 (7-1) GMAC bowl birth.

Kragthorpe took a Tulsa team that had won 2 games the previous 2 seasons to an 8-5 record and a bowl game his first year, and a Conference USA Championship and a Liberty Bowl win in his 3rd year.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more out there.

Look, it's not like other programs have never faced similiar circusmstances that DMac faces at UNT. If he doesn't have it well on it's way to a solution by year 3, odds are he never will, and that is why BCS coaches only get 3 years for the fix. I'll leave it to Tasty and other stat gurus to look at coaches that failed to show marked improvement by year 3 (lets call marked improvement bowl eligible) and see what percentage went on to turn the program around, but I would bet it would be very low.

Now is not the time to call for DMac to be fired, but waiting until year 5 is waiting too long for such a call.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Would this perhaps include a VERY large increase in the number and amount of donations and a big increase in the number of season tickets? Or, is this just supposed to happen by the "grace of God"? If we want to be a FBS program, and as you say "Act like an FBS program" then the fan base needs to do MUCH more than it is currently doing and that includes more than just complaining and posting on some fan message board. It means giving...and giving more...it means buying those tickets year end and year out...it means talking positive about what is going on right around the place. Chicken and egg thing you say? Nope....ALL FBS schools have to have the money to make it happen. UNT and its fan base has a very poor history when it comes to donations and it takes time to build that base...heck, we still have folks who stop giving what VERY little amount they were giving just because they don't agree with some timing of a tailgate event or some other "who cares" decision made by the athletic department staff. THAT is not being an FBS school...and that type of attitude will NEVER get UNT to that level.

I just played golf and had lunch with a VERY upset and very involved donor (at a significant level I might add) to the University of Arkansas program. This guy is mad...but, when I asked if he was going to cut back or stop giving his answer was..."Are you kidding? Hell, no...I am planning on giving more so we can make the improvements we all see as needed!" He then added, "no true Arkansas fan would even think of stopping support just because the team is having a bad year...complain...yes...stop giving...not on your life".

Hmmmmmm.....see any difference with that attitude and the attitude you see around here?

And, you are 100% correct...Coach Mac definitely understands and he understands the UNT fan base a bit more than some seem to think.

Anyway...to each his own....see you at the game tonight and Saturday!

Edit: Sorry...had to spell check...you know how that goes.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4