The CougarKing Comes to GMG Thread (With Guest Star MeanGreener)

Cougar King

This thread is like Christmas ... You have a pretty good idea what's under the tree but sometimes you open up a present and you get something you didn't expect.

this_thread_delivers_ups_chick_amazon.jpg

Edited by UNTFan23

GL2Greatness, let's end this once and for all:

http://colleges.usne...of-houston-3652

http://colleges.usne...lleges/unt-3594

UH is ranked #184, UNT #203. (You have to subscribe to US News to see the rank, that's why it says Rank Not Published, if you click for more info you see it says from 201-299 we are ranked in but I have a subscription from my mom. So either way UH beats us here.)

UH has a 63.8% acceptance rate, we have a 64% acceptance rate.

UH has a far superior endowment than us, mostly based off their legendary law school. Ain't much money in the music and teaching biz. But this is an obvious one.

UH and UNT have the same exact student to faculty ratio.

UNT has a 21% 4 year graduation rate, UH has a 15%.

At UH, 15% of the student population lives in dorms. 19% live in dorms at UNT.

70% of students have cars on campus at UH while 34% have cars on campus at UNT.

Same high school counselor score

UH has an 80% freshman retention rate, UNT at a 77%

UNT has a 49% 6-year graduation rate, UH with a 46%

UH has 21% classes with 50+ students and UNT 19% classes with 50+ students

UH and UNT are pretty much identical for graduate students, a 1.9% difference, UH better, and UH is located in the middle of a city around people who can go back and get their degree without driving to Denton.

So what do we learn? That UNT and UH are pretty much IDENTICAL in academics and school experience, except UH is a commuter school where as UNT is...kind of...not so much anymore, but still has a bit of that. UH is better in one thing, UNT the other. I grew up in Houston, UH IS a commuter school and the only reason I didn't go there was because I wanted to leave town and be on my own. UH is a FAR superior football school and NOBODY IS DEBATING THAT. UH is slowly becoming more integrated with the town like UTSA is because of their football team and their recent massive rise in academics and I applaud them for that. But it's still a commuter school. If I didn't want to get away, I would be a Cougar. It goes both ways. Great and excel in different things. Would I go to UNT over UH for a law degree? Hell no. Would I go to UH over UNT for a music degree? Hell no. Would I go to UNT over UH for a business degree? Hell no. Would I go to UH over UNT for a hospitality management degree? Hell no. Would I go to UNT over UH for an engineering degree? Hell no. Would I go to UH over UNT for a education degree? Hell no.

But please, go on about how none of the stats I have posted matter as you always do. I can do the same for TxState, if you like. You know, GOOGLE OBVIOUS STATISTICS.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 5

This thread is like Christmas ... You have a pretty good idea what's under the tree but sometimes you open up a present and you get something you didn't expect.

Mr. Hanky.

How does this gem of a thread not make it to the front page of GMG.com? If this thread were food it would be a Rice Cake.

Me no like Rice. Cougars destroy Rice.

When (not if) this thread makes the front page of GMG.com, I will officially be a legend here and in less than 100 posts. Dreams really do come true. :king:

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 1

Great and excel in different things. Would I go to UNT over UH for a law degree? Hell no. Would I go to UH over UNT for a music degree? Hell no. Would I go to UNT over UH for a business degree? Hell no. Would I go to UH over UNT for a hospitality management degree? Hell no. Would I go to UNT over UH for an engineering degree? Hell no. Would I go to UH over UNT for a education degree? Hell no.

I pretty much agree with everything you say here, but I'm not so sure about your hospitality point. UH has a great hospitality school. According to these 2 websites (Best Schools and Education Portal), UH is shown as a top school and UNT isn't listed. I have no idea how accurate these sites are, but I do know that UH's Hilton College is very solid.

US News has garbage stats

I prefer to get mine from somewhere that is actually accurate and accountable

http://www.txhighereddata.org/Interactive/Accountability/InteractiveMain.cfm

1. acceptance % does not matter it is a garbage stat which is part of why US News info is a joke

2. you say north Texas is ranked #203, but sadly for you on the link you provided is CLEARLY says not ranked......so you are the one making things up not me because north Texas is not ranked #203 it is not ranked at all because US News does not give out numerical rankings past 200 schools......and north Texas is not in their top 200

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/unt-3594

clearly right on that link RANK NOT PUBLISHED

3. I made a claim about commuter school status

here are the numbers from the THECB

UH total enrollment from 2007-2011

34,663 36,104 37,000 38,752 39,820

UH Scheduled hours 2007-2011

27466.81 28684.89 29464.57 30959.76 31902.5

the same for north Texas

34,153 34,698 34,781 36,067 35,694

26849.31 26888.19 26779.99 27816.24 27846.83

so if you divide those scheduled hours by enrollment you will see that for the last 5 years (at least) UH students have taken more scheduled hours on average than north Texas students

nowhere did I say there was a dramatic difference, but what I did say is that if you are going to claim that UH is a commuter you would need to say the same about north Texas because UH students take a larger number of hours on average than north Texas students do and have for the last 5 years and I jsut clearly backed that up.....unlike your claim of being ranked #203 when it says UNRANKED

4. I also stated that UH has more graduate students and they do. but I suppose I should have included "professional" students as well in that count to make the wording accurate....and I stated that because graduate students (and professional students) would take less hours to be full time students VS undergrads, but if you strictly use the total enrollments above and the total scheduled hours above without taking into account graduate enrollment UH is still less of a "commuter school than north Texas as proven above which backs up exactly what I have stated and now proven from a fully reliable source

here are the 2007-2011 UH Masters, Doctoral, (and professional) student numbers

3,932 4,089 4,549 4,750 4,776

1,203 1,233 1,268 1,445 1,489

1,956 1,941 1,864 1,859 1,770

same for north Texas

4,207 4,261 4,436 4,660 4,374

1,513 1,498 1,577 1,656 1,743

0 25 40 36 37

so again UH has a larger number of students that would be taking a lesser number of hours to be considered full time than an undergrad would take to be considered full time......yet even without taking that into account UH still has their students taking a larger % of full time hours which equals less of a commuter/part time school......which is exactly what I claimed and so if you are going to claim that UH is a commuter school when their student take a larger number of hours on average you would have to make the same claim about another school with a lesser hour average.....just as I clearly stated

5. I stated that UH has more beds on campus

UH has 6434 beds on campus

http://www.uh.edu/af/docs/CFP/091010_UHSMasterPlanUpdate.pdf

north Texas has 5944 beds on campus

http://www.unt.edu/untmasterplan/documents/Final_Master_Plan.pdf

the 5544 listed there + 400 for honors hall

so just as I correctly stated and have now confirmed UH has more beds on campus

and UH as I correctly stated will have more by 2013

http://www.uh.edu/plantops/departments/fpc/under-construction/index.php

http://www.uh.edu/plantops/departments/fpc/under-construction/cougar-village-2/index.php

http://www.uh.edu/plantops/departments/fpc/under-construction/cougar-place-replacement/index.php

both are under construction now

so again I have proven from factual sources that UH students take more scheduled hours, that UH has more dorms on campus and will have even more in the future and I have proven that UH has more graduate students (and professional students) than north Texas does and even exclusive of that fact UH students are still taking more credit hours on average

which means if you are going to label UH as a commuter school you clearly have to do the same for north Texas just as I stated

none of the other things about cars on campus or the like are anything that I claimed and I have now supported my claims while you have still not proven your #203 ranking so it appears you are in fact the one making things up

and just for kicks while north Texas might have a higher 4 and 5 year graduation rate UH has a higher 6 year graduation and persistence rate while north texas has the higher 6 year graduation rate

so overall UH students at 6 years have either graduated at a higher rate or continue to seek their degree while north Texas students have either graduated or dropped out and since the goal is to get the degree and not drop out I would say the fact that their students continue on looks better......but this has nothing to do with the claims I made before and that I have now substantiated

UH 2004-2010

68.3% 67.8% 70.3% 69.7% 69.5% 68.9% 71.4%

north Texas

65.4% 67.5% 70.1% 68.1% 67.2% 68.7% 70.6%

getting out sooner is good, but getting the degree before dropping out entirely is better

also from 1999 -2010 UH had a lower % of students that left there to go elsewhere to graduate at the 6 year point

UH

7.8% 7.4% 7.5% 6.6% 7.3% 8.6% 7.8% 6.6% 6.9% 7.1% 8.4% 7.8%

north Texas

11.4% 10.7% 10.8% 10.1% 8.4% 8.7% 9.7% 9.5% 9.9% 7.8% 8.9% 9.1%

so again while north Texas will have a higher 6 year graduation rate (without persistence)(and counting graduation from other universities) they still have a higher % of students leaving to go elsewhere to graduate and UH still has a higher overall % of students still continuing towards their degree VS dropping out

and lastly even if your overall premise is correct that they are very similar universities....that goes right back to the actual claim that I have made and now supported that if you are going to label UH as a "commuter school" then surely you would need to label north Texas as the same

that is the great thing about north Texas GMGers they are great at trying to "slam" other schools until the facts are pointed out and then they ignore what was actually stated and either slay a bunch of strawman arguments or they break out their collection of cute GIFs that they think are entertaining.......and if they do manage to make an factually supported argument it actually goes back to support exactly what I have claimed......that if two universities are very similar you can't label one a commuter school without doing the same foe the other

well done you supported exactly what I claimed!.....that if a school that has a higher % of full time students with a higher graduate student enrollment not being taken into account and that has more dorm beds on campus is a commuter school surely the school that is "similar" with students taking less full time hours and with less dorm beds is also a commuter school as well

• Downvote 4

I pretty much agree with everything you say here, but I'm not so sure about your hospitality point. UH has a great hospitality school. According to these 2 websites (Best Schools and Education Portal), UH is shown as a top school and UNT isn't listed. I have no idea how accurate these sites are, but I do know that UH's Hilton College is very solid.

the Hilton College is one of the tops in the USA the department of hotel restaurant management at north Texas is nothing

also the Moores School of Music at UH is respected as well and the college of music at north Texas is respected, but it is not nearly as respected as people make it out to be and it is not that broad of a college either it is very focused on specific areas which is wise to do when you have little overall outside support or resources and that is one of the reasons it is able to maintain respect

Edited by GL2Greatness

the Hilton College is one of the tops in the USA the department of hotel restaurant management at north Texas is nothing

also the Moores School of Music at UH is respected as well and the college of music at north Texas is respected, but it is not nearly as respected as people make it out to be and it is not that broad of a college either it is very focused on specific areas which is wise to do when you have little overall outside support or resources and that is one of the reasons it is able to maintain respect

You have no idea what you are talking about on this one.

I attended a college of music in Boston, MA, and North Texas was constantly mentioned as one of the elite music schools. Others would include Eastman, Julliard, Miami, New England Conservatory, a few others . . . but nobody ever mentioned Houston. Rice is pretty good, but well below UNT.

The score of the UNT/UH game the year before yall went to your first Cotton Bowl...

North Texas.....28

Houston...........00

(That Mean Green football team would have been a bowl team had there been as many bowls back then as today).

GMG!

That's weird. I have been thinking that North Texas will beat UH 28-0 on Saturday. Don't despair UH fans, maybe it will be another good omen and UH will get to the Cotton Bowl next year.

:thumbsu:

Edited by CurveItAround

You have no idea what you are talking about on this one.

I attended a college of music in Boston, MA, and North Texas was constantly mentioned as one of the elite music schools. Others would include Eastman, Julliard, Miami, New England Conservatory, a few others . . . but nobody ever mentioned Houston. Rice is pretty good, but well below UNT.

generally rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt especially in broad fields like Music, but at least one source that ranks yearly does not place Rice well below north Texas

http://www.uscollegeranking.org/music/2011-top-music-school-ranking.html#axzz28HJMtD7o

Fiske has them in the Top 10

http://www.ricethresher.org/news/shepherd-school-of-music-ranks-high-1.1752602#.UGzA98WDobN

yet another with Rice very close

http://www.eduers.com/Graduate/Graduate_School_Rankings_Music.html

here is one that list the masters of Music at Rice 20th tied with CU and has the Moores School at UH along with north Texas in the rest of the list

http://worldranking.blogspot.com/2010/01/top-music-schools-in-us.html

I am not saying that the north Texas college of music is not good or even great in some things, but GMGers act as though it is the end all be all for Music in Texas when the reality is UT, Rice, TCU, and UH all have strong programs and getting stronger because of their ability to raise outside funding while north Texas raises funding for crap in dallas

UT with their 50 million dollar donation just a few years back that is just now kicking in will be getting stronger and stronger, Rice is just strong across the board in academics in general and is raising big money for all their programs, TCU has a great thing going with the association with the Van Cliburn Competition so again to just say "music north Texas" is just wrong......but hey when that is all you got use it I guess

The score of the UNT/UH game the year before yall went to your first Cotton Bowl...

North Texas.....28

Houston...........00

(That Mean Green football team would have been a bowl team had there been as many bowls back then as today).

GMG!

Way to live in the past. Of course, that's all you guys do on GMG. Nobody cares about what happened about 35 years ago/ Face it, UNT has done anything relevant ever since they got denied from the SWC. Not too long ago, there was a thread where a lot of you were crying about being surpassed by Texas State, UTSA and UTA. Of course I have to mention the 30840830833807 threads on here crying about SMU being mean to you guys.

SMU does not and will not ever consider you guys a rival. Deal with it and move on. You guys still cry about SMU "blackballing" you. When the whorns denied us the Big XII, did we cry about it? Of course, but we did what UNT failed to do. We got off our asses, hooked up with SMU, TCU, Louisville, Southern Miss and the other misfits and made our own conference. We are building a monorail system through our campus and connecting it to downtown, you guys complain about one of your cafeterias being vegan. We always talk about making our next move, you guys complain about students having fun with the fight song.

We made lemonade, you guys cry over spilled milk.

• Downvote 1

5. I stated that UH has more beds on campus

UH has 6434 beds on campus

http://www.uh.edu/af...rPlanUpdate.pdf

north Texas has 5944 beds on campus

http://www.unt.edu/u...Master_Plan.pdf

the 5544 listed there + 400 for honors hall

so just as I correctly stated and have now confirmed UH has more beds on campus

and UH as I correctly stated will have more by 2013

http://www.uh.edu/pl...ction/index.php

http://www.uh.edu/pl...age-2/index.php

http://www.uh.edu/pl...ement/index.php

both are under construction now

so again I have proven from factual sources that UH students take more scheduled hours, that UH has more dorms on campus and will have even more in the future and I have proven that UH has more graduate students (and professional students) than north Texas does and even exclusive of that fact UH students are still taking more credit hours on average

That UNT master plan is from 2004....Once again you are proven wrong.

That UNT master plan is from 2004....Once again you are proven wrong.

um no I am not.....there is only one additional dorm on campus since that time when it listed 5544 and that is Honors hall at 400 beds which is where the 5944 came from

12 dorms listed on that master plan and 13 dorms listed on the north Texas residence life website with honors hall being the only addition

so again I am correct

um no I am not.....there is only one additional dorm on campus since that time when it listed 5544 and that is Honors hall at 400 beds which is where the 5944 came from

12 dorms listed on that master plan and 13 dorms listed on the north Texas residence life website with honors hall being the only addition

so again I am correct

No you aren't. Go back to the basement and you mother will bring down you spaghetti-O's in a bit.

• Upvote 1

Once again, GL2G confirms he's the infamous "Check Facts." The one that blabbers on with crap that is far from the truth, and refuses to leave his basement for fear of his mother grounding him.

Cougar King, the only one that keeps bringing up SMU. Will miss the d-bag after this week. Not really.

Edited by UNTLifer