I can definitely see 5-7. Good analysis FLF. Personally I'm going with 7-5, with 5-7 and 6-6 both being very probable as well. I just have a ton of faith in McCarney's ability to develop players in the offseason and coach like a fiend during the season.

Here's what I think.

Loss at LSU

Win vs Southern

Loss at K State

Win vs Troy (I really don't think Troy is going to be that good, if we could beat them on the road last year, we can certainly beat them at home this year, if we lose we're going 5-7)

Win at FAU

Loss at Houston

Win vs ULL (toss up, but I feel like the crowd will be big, and the home field atmosphere will pull us through)

Win at MTSU (they suck still, I don't get why people are high on them this year)

Loss vs Ark State

Win vs South Alabama

Win at ULM

Loss at WKU (I think we will win either ULM or WKU, not sure which, but I'm going with ULM)

Is this assuming things go right? Yeah, I guess, but I have confidence this year for some reason. I doubt we go better than 7-5, I'd say 8-4 is more unlikely than even 5-7. The Troy and ULL games are the biggest games of the season I think. They are 2 very lose-able games, and if we lose both the season could be realllllllly ugly.

So let's see, this puts my conference prediction at 6-2. That's asking a lot, but I feel like our schedule is easy enough for it. We are playing 2 terrible teams on the road (FAU and MTSU), and get the tougher teams at home, so that's an advantage, and we don't play FIU, which is VERY lucky, because they might run the table in the Belt.

Go Mean Green!

Ohio is a home game again? I figured we were going back up there, since they beat us in the downpour here in 2008.

2009 i believe... that was me and my crew's first foray into tailgating... it was almost a disaster as we were not prepared for any of the elements... and I do say almost, because we still had beer

• Upvote 1

I have higher expectations because the coaching staff knows what they're doing. We should have a shot at 7-5 with 6-6 being more probable. However, I'll be somewhat disappointed if we don't improve last year's 5-7 record. We had more of a depleted team last year and did not have an easier schedule by any means. We certainly have the ability to beat Troy and ULaLa at home, plus beating TSU, FAU, MTSU, WKU or ULM (or both)...that puts us at 6-6 or 7-5 without any "miracles" or "surprises" in my opinion. If we were tough to get beaten at Apogee last year, it will be tougher this year.

Reality well presented, fair and backed up with logic. Applaud Fake for that.

Truly refreshing to see well thought out analysis vs. knee jerk, unsupported, assume the worst first.

I would be bummed with 5-7, but Fake somehow presented it so that I can accept it as potential reality.

I can't do the same for 7-5, so I will have to set my expectations accordingly, and pray for beating expectations.

Think we are heading the right direction though. Won't be long before expectations will be higher, and reality will keep up.

GMG

Add me to the 5-7 bandwagon, as well. For all the reasons that TFLF presented plus the very simple matter of how the schedule breaks down: 5 home games, 7 on the road. I think we have a real shot at going 5-0 or 4-1 at home. The one toss-up being against ArkSt. I'd say LaLa is going to be circled on everyone's calendars after listening to what RV had to say on the podcast. That should be the game of the year in Denton.

• Upvote 1

Historically, in programs that are in need of a turn around, do the second year head coaches suffer a sophomore slump? I feel like they do but Im no college football historian.

The optimist in me says 6-6. The super kool-aid fan says 7-5. The realist says maybe 4-8, we are young, young, young.

I'll go with the optimist. 6-6.

(And Trice has a pick 6 against LSU and a Special Teams TD during the season.)

Put me down as 7-5 I think 8-4 is possible, and I still think the belt sucks.

We win all our home games, and two - three additional. I don't believe there is a team in the Belt we can't beat this year. I am not saying we sweep but could win. We have 8 conference games plus Texas Southern that is 9 can wins. I also don't believe Houston is unbeatable I guess we will see, our team will have had time to gell by the Houston game this year if we are not too beat up. I can say I really believe in our head coach now.

We go 8-4 I will take the bowl as a win also.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1

Undefeated until the first loss! Really looking forward to this season. Can students get tickets to the LSU game? I most definitely want to make that trip!

I believe there is something on meangreensports.com where you can see the student road game prices. I'd just google meangreensports student road games 2012 football, and see what comes up, or go into the archive on the site. I remember seeing it there though.

• Upvote 1

I think everyone agrees 5 to 7 wins is realistic for this squad.

Anything less than 5 wins would be a disappointment, but calling 7 wins a miracle seems off base. The idea that the team could be one game better than last year and beat an fcs team seems pretty reasonable.

• Upvote 2

I still say it will by McCarney's 3'rd season which will be his breakthrough season and it will have come at a good time with our 2013 C-USA inauguration.

For 2012 I think breaking even or near that will be a good season but (like all of you) I still hope for the ball to bounce our every direction like it did that season when North Texas hosted the first NO's Bowl. The "almost" losses of that season were uncanny and as I recall we won 5 games that season but still went to a bowl game.

GMG!