So what fear mongering tactic results from last night's shooting?

The second amendment of the Constitution was historically grounded by the English Bill of Rights in 1689. The government (ala King) at that time was discriminating against, and therefore disarming Protestants based on his disagreement with their religious views. The Supreme Court of the United Stated has recognized this, in DC vs Heller, calling out specifically that the Second Amendment guarantees the right not to be disarmed by the Government, and in no way is only granted as part of a militia. NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with HUNTING or PROVIDING FOOD. The Second Amendment is ALL about killing people. Face it. Like it or not, that’s a fact. It is about killing those who would threaten our lives or cause serious bodily injury. It is about killing those who would threaten our rights and freedoms, foreign or domestic. It is an ugly, but very necessary reality.

As to the purpose of these guns…. They are simply semi-automatic weapons. You own guns? Do you own any semi-automatic handguns? They also fire one bullet per trigger pull, as fast as you can pull the trigger, and are capable of holding 30+ rounds of ammunition, identical to an AR15 or an AK-47. You would demonize one type of gun because YOU don’t happen to own it, but ignore the fact that if you “own guns” you likely own weapons that fall into the exact same category.

As to your statement “they have no other purpose than to kill people” is totally untrue.

The AR15 rifle is the number one weapon used in NRA Highpower competition.

The AR15 rifle is the most common rifle used in 3-gun competition, which is a nationwide sponsored competition with a professional tour, in which tens of thousands participate in every year.

The AR15 is one of the most common varmint and coyote hunting rifles in use today.

The AR15 platform rifle is THE MOT POPULAR target rifle sold today. It outnumbers EVERY other rifle sold on the market. Over 500,000 (yes half a million) AR15 type rifles were manufactured and sold to CIVILIANS in 2009 ALONE. They absolutely are the top target and sporting rifle in existence.

It is time to stop demonizing the tool, and start demonizing the person, and the act. You cannot solve this by taking guns away from law abiding citizens. As much as you like the idea of a “violence free society”. That has never existed, and never will. I choose to put guns in the hands of law abiding citizens. For sport, fun, and defense of person and personal freedoms.

Amen.

We are basically talkng about outlawing a gun because it looks scary.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I love my 1941 issue .30 Cal M 1 Carbine because of its accuracy, ease of firing and cleaning. But I got to shoot a new .223 AR last week up in Argyle and was very impressed with its accuracy and extremely low recoil. That may be on my wish list very soon.

With that said, I've had disagreements in the past with him for sure. But as of right now "Adman" is my new favorite poster over here.

My first six pack of "what-ever-the-hell-your-choice-of-drink-is" goes to you sir this coming Fall. Just let me know.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It is time to stop demonizing the tool, and start demonizing the person, and the act. You cannot solve this by taking guns away from law abiding citizens. As much as you like the idea of a “violence free society”. That has never existed, and never will. I choose to put guns in the hands of law abiding citizens. For sport, fun, and defense of person and personal freedoms.

Questioning the tool is not absolving the person or the act.

Holmes is the villain. Undoubtedly. But that doesn't mean that the methods, means and impotence of such a tragic event shouldn't be fully examined and discussed.

• Upvote 1

Holmes is the villain. Undoubtedly. But that doesn't mean that the methods, means and impotence of such a tragic event shouldn't be fully examined and discussed.

Can we include the effect of ubber violent video games in the discussion?

I agree. Examine and discuss.

But I find that often times the examining and the discussion end at the tool. Let's do go beyond method and means and get at the true impetus of crimes such as these.

Just as alcoholism isn't caused by alcohol gun violence is not caused by guns. Both are symptoms of larger diseases and neither can be cured with any sort of prohibition.

I think an increasingly fragmented and isolated social culture contributes more to tragedies like these than the existence of the Second Amendment.

Nobody sits around at home, happy and content, looks at an AR-15 and goes "Hey, I got an idea..."

People think the way to stop these mass shootings is to make guns harder to get. It's not. I can get a gun in some isolated village in Africa - it's not difficult to buy an illegal gun.

Wouldn't it actually be easier to identify and treat people who pose a threat to society?

"Members of Westboro Baptist Church Plan to Protest Memorial Service in Aurora for 12 Victims of Batman Movie Shooting"

http://m.zimbio.com/Westboro+Baptist+Church/articles/NHsEPnrIbSW/Members+Westboro+Baptist+Church+Plan+Protest

..."Westboro Baptist Church is spreading its venom via the Twitter hashtags #godsenttheshooter and#ThankGodForTheShooter.

The rodents at Westboro Baptist Church tweeted this:

bit.ly/NMHvHl “God Hates Fag Enablers”in @nymagListen @BarackObama @denverpost !#auroraGod will avenge His standard in the earth.

— MargiePhelps (@MargieJPhelps) July 22, 2012

We’re hee-eere. #ThankGodForTheShooter MT @DenverComicCon: Westboro may be showing up around 5, so if you can make it at that time, great!

— MargiePhelps (@MargieJPhelps) July 22, 2012...."

Talk about some people who I can't believe haven't had shit kicked out of them yet by someone?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Maybe this guy played a lot of violent video games, maybe not. I think it's pretty likely that he's at least seen these 2 movies, though:

The Dark Knight

Inglorious Basterds

Should we ban all violent movies b/c one psycho thinks he's literally part of that dreamed up movie world??

Maybe this guy played a lot of violent video games, maybe not. I think it's pretty likely that he's at least seen these 2 movies, though:

The Dark Knight

Inglorious Basterds

Should we ban all violent movies b/c one psycho thinks he's literally part of that dreamed up movie world??

In the pointless category I would add "Natural Born Killers".

Rick

"'Dark Knight' showing halted in Bergen County because of unusual activity near emergency door"

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29221/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=kcu571iO

..."Tonight, police were called about 10:25 by someone inside theater 4 at the Edgewater Multiplex on River Road, where the newest Batman movie was being shown, borough police spokesman Sgt. Steven Titus said

"With the recent events, that was the best course of action to take," Titus said.

The caller told police that about 90 minutes into the show, a male stood up, walked to an emergency exit and opened it, spoke to someone outside, and then walk back to his seat and sit down, Titus said.

When police arrived, they stopped the movie, turned up the lights, and asked the person who had opened the door to step forward, Titus said.

After no one did so, police and theater management decided to cancel the showing, he said.

Titus said the crowd, which received refunds to the movie, was calm and orderly......"

Wow, that's a strange one right there.

Rick

In the pointless category I would add "Natural Born Killers".

Rick

Do you not realize that NBK is a introspection into how society breeds and glamourizes these types of acts? Not pointless at all, and probably more relevant to the discussion than any other film.

Edited by UNT Five&Dime
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You also can't ban "assault weapons."

See Second Amendment.

Maybe we can impose a "mass shooting tax" on the violent video games. The Sipreme Court, or at least Justice Roberts, should go for that, right?

When has taxing a behavior ever modified it?

MSNBC’S O’Donnell Calls NRA’s Wayne LaPierre a ‘Blood-Drenched Lobbyist

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffrey-meyer/2012/07/25/msnbc-s-o-donnell-calls-nra-s-wayne-lapierre-blood-drenched-lobbyist

..."MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell has joined the list of his colleagues deciding to disgustingly politicize the tragic Colorado shooting.  On Tuesday night, O’Donnell felt the need to attack Wayne LaPierre of the NRA and Republican Senator Ron Johnson (Wis.) for their support of the Second Amendment.

O'Donnell started off his "Rewrite" segment claiming LaPierre was a "blood-drenched lobbyist" who is a "defender of mass murderers’ right to use hundred-round ammo clips."  O’Donnell appeared shocked that Sen. Johnson believes a mass-murderer like James Holmes would still seek to obtain high-powered weapons regardless of stricter gun-control laws.  [Video followed page break;  MP3 audio here.]"....

Rick

MSNBCS ODonnell Calls NRAs Wayne LaPierre a Blood-Drenched Lobbyist

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffrey-meyer/2012/07/25/msnbc-s-o-donnell-calls-nra-s-wayne-lapierre-blood-drenched-lobbyist

..."MSNBCs Lawrence ODonnell has joined the list of his colleagues deciding to disgustingly politicize the tragic Colorado shooting. On Tuesday night, ODonnell felt the need to attack Wayne LaPierre of the NRA and Republican Senator Ron Johnson (Wis.) for their support of the Second Amendment.

O'Donnell started off his "Rewrite" segment claiming LaPierre was a "blood-drenched lobbyist" who is a "defender of mass murderers right to use hundred-round ammo clips." ODonnell appeared shocked that Sen. Johnson believes a mass-murderer like James Holmes would still seek to obtain high-powered weapons regardless of stricter gun-control laws. [Video followed page break; MP3 audio here.]"....

Rick

Sooooo... about 6 people saw this, right? I mean, it was on MSNBC.

• Upvote 2

MSNBC'S O'Donnell Calls NRA's Wayne LaPierre a 'Blood-Drenched Lobbyist

http://m.newsbusters...enched-lobbyist

..."MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell has joined the list of his colleagues deciding to disgustingly politicize the tragic Colorado shooting. On Tuesday night, O'Donnell felt the need to attack Wayne LaPierre of the NRA and Republican Senator Ron Johnson (Wis.) for their support of the Second Amendment.

O'Donnell started off his "Rewrite" segment claiming LaPierre was a "blood-drenched lobbyist" who is a "defender of mass murderers' right to use hundred-round ammo clips." O'Donnell appeared shocked that Sen. Johnson believes a mass-murderer like James Holmes would still seek to obtain high-powered weapons regardless of stricter gun-control laws. [Video followed page break; MP3 audio here.]"....

Rick

Ironically it was the 100 round magazine (not clip) that saved lives. High volume mags are notoriously unreliable in any weapon and jam often. The beta mag that Holmes used is one of the worst offenders in jamming a weapon. When it jammed he left the theater.

Ironically it was the 100 round magazine (not clip) that saved lives. High volume mags are notoriously unreliable in any weapon and jam often. The beta mag that Holmes used is one of the worst offenders in jamming a weapon. When it jammed he left the theater.

But 100 round "clip" SOUNDS scarey, and AK-47s LOOK scary.

Notice how many times he repeats 1000 round "clips"? That is because he is trying to scare people into making rash decisions while emotional. If liberals had to present their views on planet Vulcan, they would be laughed out of the galaxy.

It's all about emotion and using emotion to further an agenda with libs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

AP: TEENAGER KILLS 8 , WOUNDS 5 IN CHINA KNIFE ATTACK

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_CHINA_KNIFE_ATTACK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-02-06-05-46

..."Violent crimes are growing more common in China. There was a string of knife attacks against schoolchildren across the country in early 2010 that killed nearly 20 and wounded more than 50.."

State sponsored knife ban and confiscation looms ahead I would assume.

Rick