Penn State football deserves death penalty for cover-up

If there walk ons then they get no aid. I doubt if Penn State has no unworthy transfer players and if they do Penn State should have to honor the scholarship.

• Upvote 1

Let's say your employer did something wrong. The Feds come in and say your company is closing and everyone has to leave. You get several job offers around the country but with the stipulation you absolutely cannot work or live within 130 miles of your current employer. You must do this regardless of the fact that your family hsa been working for this employer for decades. It is doesn't upset your life at all, does it?

If my employer had used the employment facilities to recruit, groom, and molest young boys in the facility in which I worked, I think I would voluntarily get the hell away from that facility as fast as I could. What would upset my life is what my employer did, not the consequences that came because of the action.

But that's just me.

If my employer had used the employment facilities to recruit, groom, and molest young boys in the facility in which I worked, I think I would voluntarily get the hell away from that facility as fast as I could. What would upset my life is what my employer did, not the consequences that came because of the action.

But that's just me.

I doubt your response would be the same if you were unbiased and truly had to uproot your life.

Edited by Cr1028

Lack of institutional control. Reached to the top of the administration and was complicit with the football leadership.

It is the most heinous NCAA violation in the history of college athletics. Shut it down and fire or reassign everyone in the AD or offer retirement package to those with merit. Others complicit should go to prison after FBI gets involved.

Open transfers for all scholarship athletes, or full scholarship to PSU but no football.

• Upvote 2

I doubt your response would be the same if you were unbiased and truly had to uproot your life.

It is a choice. Make Penn St. honor the scholarships. If they choose to stay, they can get an education. If they choose to leave, they can play football.

And may I also point out that no scholarship is ever guaranteed. They are on a year to year basis and can be pulled for any number of reasons (including being a not so good football player). Let's not even bring up players transferring from programs to go elsewhere. So, if the player chose to stay, he would be getting what no other NCAA player gets, a guaranteed free ride all the way through college.

Uprooting my life would be a choice I made, but if I had to make that choice, I wouldn't be unbiased, would I?

Life is full of far more difficult and consequential choices than should I stay here and not play football or go there and play football. Making it seem more consequential is kinda what got Penn St. where they are now, don't ya think?

Let's say your employer did something wrong. The Feds come in and say your company is closing and everyone has to leave. You get several job offers around the country but with the stipulation you absolutely cannot work or live within 130 miles of your current employer. You must do this regardless of the fact that your family hsa been working for this employer for decades. It is doesn't upset your life at all, does it?

But that's just me.

OK, but what if it wasn't sex abuse of young children; what if it was something else? How would you feel if the feds came in and closed the company you work for and told you cannot work for that company yet can work at any other company without penalty in another state?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

OK, but what if it wasn't sex abuse of young children; what if it was something else? How would you feel if the feds came in and closed the company you work for and told you cannot work for that company yet can work at any other company without penalty in another state?

Apples meet Oranges!!

We are not talking about feeding your family here. We are talking about an amateur sport.

We are not talking about the federal government, we are talking about the private governing body of an amateur sport.

Again, elevating the importance of an amateur sport to the level of someone feeding their family is the mindset that got Penn St. into this position, don't you think?

Edited by UNT90

We are not talking about feeding your family here. We are talking about an amateur sport.

We are not talking about the federal government, we are talking about the private governing body of an amateur sport.

Again, elevating the importance of an amateur sport to the level of someone feeding their family is the mindset that got Penn St. into this position, don't you think?

No, not really. I know of a situation where some individuals may have ignored red flags in the pursuit of keeping the company ahead of the competition and help the company make money for its investors.

I can think of a company that may have willingly broken federal law. Various leaders may or may not have chosen to sweep the issue under the rug and chose not to investigate warning flags several years ago and self report the possible violations. Earlier this year a prominent newspaper posted a scathing article about the possibility of the company breaking federal law and a firestorm of criticism ensued.

In the "what-have-you-done-for-me-now" mentality that plagues this country and Wall Street, today the stock is trading at or very near an all time high and the possible violations of law have faded away into old news.

It seems obvious that the company benefited from allegedly breaking this law and it is possible punishment might be in order -- up to and including the removal of the upper levels of management that were involved in the lack of action in investigating and self reporting the possible violations. Now, do you think that employees of the company should also be punished even if they had absolutely no involvement in the breaking of the law?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, not really. I know of a situation where some individuals may have ignored red flags in the pursuit of keeping the company ahead of the competition and help the company make money for its investors.

I can think of a company that may have willingly broken federal law. Various leaders may or may not have chosen to sweep the issue under the rug and chose not to investigate warning flags several years ago and self report the possible violations. Earlier this year a prominent newspaper posted a scathing article about the possibility of the company breaking federal law and a firestorm of criticism ensued.

In the "what-have-you-done-for-me-now" mentality that plagues this country and Wall Street, today the stock is trading at or very near an all time high and the possible violations of law have faded away into old news.

It seems obvious that the company benefited from allegedly breaking this law and it is possible punishment might be in order -- up to and including the removal of the upper levels of management that were involved in the lack of action in investigating and self reporting the possible violations. Now, do you think that employees of the company should also be punished even if they had absolutely no involvement in the breaking of the law?

Like Bat said, apples and oranges.

But to answer your question: In this situation, yes.

• Upvote 1

That "amateur sport" is a several hundred million dollar industry.

But that's just me.

Clearly you aren't Catholic.

Remember, you are punishing student-athletes and coaches that had no knowledge of or any involvement with these acts. All but 3 of the assistant coaches were let go from Paterno's staff. The players didn't know this was going on or one would have reported it. This was all on the previous staff and administration. This didn't involve boosters or outside influence. This was purely an administrative problem and a Joe Paterno problem. This was not a Penn State football problem. This was 4 or 5 guys believing they could circumvent the law to protect their buddy.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

That "amateur sport" is a several hundred million dollar industry.

So, if you make enough money, you get to sexually assault children?

Don't really get your point.

If you are saying that Penn St. football is too valuable to the NCAA for the death penalty to be issued, isn't that just an example of the mindset that got Penn St. into this situation to begin with? And if Penn St. is too big to be punished, especially for this, then just quit the facade and let everyone cheat their ass off.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I am. Every Easter and Christmas.

So now we compare religion to football?

If someone within the church is caught molesting a child within the church and the leadership looks the other way, do you move to another Catholic church despite the leadership and molester being fired just because it occured at your particular Catholic church?

If someone within the church is caught molesting a child within the church and the leadership looks the other way, do you move to another Catholic church despite the leadership and molester being fired just because it occured at your particular Catholic church?

Absoutely. In a second. And if the Catholic Church decided to shut down that particular church because of the abuse and cover up, they would be well within their right to do so.

But what you are really asking is if the Catholic leadership decided to cancel 5 O'clock Saturday mass (my preference) because of the abuse, would I leave the church, right?

Or are you saying that the only thing Penn St University has to offer is football?

Edited by UNT90

So, if you make enough money, you get to sexually assault children?

Don't really get your point.

If you are saying that Penn St. football is too valuable to the NCAA for the death penalty to be issued, isn't that just an example of the mindset that got Penn St. into this situation to begin with? And if Penn St. is too big to be punished, especially for this, then just quit the facade and let everyone cheat their ass off.

You change the argument to fit your narrative. You said we were comparing "feeding your family" to an "amateur sport". I am saying that college football is not as insignificant as playing flag football in a park. Some of these young men have the opportunity to make millions of dollars playing this sport and what if they want to stay close to family they have in State College but because of some molestation they never saw or knew about,they have to move a minimum of 136 miles away to pursue their dreams of professional football.