OT - Andy Griffith has passed away.

---Other than "Big Bang", today's comedy shows aren't worth much (my opinion). Can't watch all those reality things...cheap to produce. Andy Griffith show was 100% clean and anyone in family could watch, those don't exist now. .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is a sad day. But thanks to re-runs, we get to be with him (and his writers) indefinitely. His Andy Taylor character is a wonderful role model to aspire to........ both as a person and as a parent.

In the reports/tributes that are written about him, they always mention when The Andy Griffith show started (1960). Here is a triva question. The Andy Griffith character actually first appeared on a popular sit-com of that era (mid-to-late 50's). Does anyone know what show that was?

• Upvote 1

Ok, I'm not googling this. If memory serves, the pilot was actually an episode of another show in which the main woman character drives through Mayberry and gets caught in Andy's speed trap where he serves as both sheriff and justice of the piece.

I don't remember the name of the show.

you are correct about the story line.

I found the first apperance of Andy Taylor-- Danny Thomas Show... aka. Make Room for Daddy:

------ Danny is arrested by Sheriff Andy Taylor for going through an unnoticed stop sign in the town of Mayberry.

I had never heard that before.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0639971/

From IMDB.com

According to Andy Griffith, the show's original premise was to follow the story line set up in his appearance on "Make Room For Daddy". The premise was that Mayberry was so small that Andy Taylor was not only the sheriff, but the Justice of the Peace, the editor of the local newspaper, and the mayor. However when it came time to write the series, Andy decided that was too ridiculous so he asked that Andy Taylor's duties be confined to being the sheriff and the justice of the peace. However the "Justice of the Peace" task was used sparingly and usually only with out-of-town troublemakers.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

First time I remember Andy G. was the movie "No Time for Sergeants" (1958). Don Knotts had a minor role in that movie. Several crazy scenes but the bar-room scene and the visit with the psychologist are my favorites.

Maj. Demming: I think that I would rather live in the rottenest pig sty in Tennessee or Alabama than the fanciest mansion in all of Georgia. How about that?

Will Stockdale: Well, sir... I think where you wanna live is your business.

Maj. Demming: Do you get along alright with your mother?

Will Stockdale: No, sir, I can't hardly say that I do...

Maj. Demming: Oh, I see. She's very strict with you; she's always hovering over you, hmm?

Will Stockdale: No, sir, just the opposite.

Maj. Demming: Oh, she's never there?

Will Stockdale: That's right.

Maj. Demming: And you, uh, you resent this neglect, don't you?

Will Stockdale: Well, no, sir. I don't resent nothin'.

Maj. Demming: Ah, come now, son. Now don't be bashful - that's a common situation. Does, uh, she beat you?

Will Stockdale: Naw!

Maj. Demming: [he chuckles] Oh, so defensive. Well, it's not easy to talk about your mother, is it?

Will Stockdale: No sir, see, she died when I was born..

_________

Love that movie...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

$100 each month for TV is the biggest joke out there right now. I dropped cable 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

I might get Netflix soon, but I am not in any hurry.

I have the Netflix streaming only plan and let me say that their selection for that is less than underwhelming.