Big East Commissioner forced out

North Texas-Denton spent 12 years in D1-A from 1983 to 1994 so there is a big reason why SMU was not playing you in that time period

also SMU does not owe North Texas-Denton any games so them choosing to play you or not is really a stupid point......North Texas-Denton fans are the ones that obsess with all things SMU while SMU tries to do what is best for their program not what makes North Texas-Denton fans happy

Centenary no longer plays football so it would be impossible for SMU to schedule them and TAMU Commerce is in Division II so SMU couldn't play them.....both are stupid points

UT has a losing record against Vandy yet I doubt that Vandy fans think that UT is scared of them even though they have not played since 1928....I doubt that Vandy fans even know that or think about it because 1. they have a brain which is why they went to Vandy, 2. they have their own current wins and losses to worry about and 3. even if they did think about it they realize that UT can get the same match up closer from Rice where UT fans can show up in force to see their team play and where UT can play in front of their recruits

TCU has only played North Texas-Denton 17 times total since 1914 and only three times since 1999 and I am sure no one would buy that it is because they are "scared" since TCU is busy playing better teams at home and on the road and since TCU is busy going to BCS games and getting themselves into the Big 12 instead of worrying about what SMU does or worrying about North Texas-Denton fans and their concerns.......which is a lesson that SMU has learned from.....don't worry about what others are doing worry about yourself and don't sell yourself VS who you play sell yourself and move to the conferences that best suit you

and 7 or 8 is not a magic number the point is that the BE if it breaks up will leave a significant number of eastern and central based teams that would not have great difficulty picking up other teams to reform a new conference with if they felt that was best for them and I believe that is exactly what they would do and there would be a large number of teams ready and willing to make that move

North Texas-Denton fans were dying to get in a conference with SMU, and UH and several other potential BE members yet you now act like others that have been in a conference with them already would suddenly want nothing to do with that and instead they would stay with a bunch of teams they want to get away from (Like Tulsa fans and possibly UTEP fans looking at the MWC) and a fresh new group of move ups

SMU already has an annual game with TCU in the metro area ahd they have had Tech, TAMU, and Baylor on their schedule very frequently so I don't think they are scared of North Texas-Denton I just think they don't really see the need to schedule them yearly or any real benefit to doing so.....they are on the schedule for 4 straight years, but I don't think it will turn out how many on here think it will I would not be surprised if SMU did not take all 4 of them or go 3-1 at the worst

then they can go back to being "scared" :thumbsu:

I know I've told you this before sir... but brevity is key. No one wants to read diatribes. Please get your points in with shorter posts. Maybe try bullet points or something. I don't have anyone 'blocked', but you are getting close to being my first. Not because of your intense hatred of UNT, but because your posts take up acres of my screen.

SDSU and Boise are not throwing their other sports under the bus in any way. They are members of the Big East in football only. If the presidents of those schools turned down 15M a year in TV revenue just so their women's volleyball team could play Wyoming instead of Gonzaga they should be strung up on the highest tree on their campus. This is a really stupid argument anyway. The Big East will have a replacement for Marinatto that is a much better salesman and frontman for the conference. This was unanimously approved by all Big East presidents (including the new additions).

The real issue here for UNT is the stability of the Big East. Again, should anything unexpected happen (i.e. Louisville, Cincinatti, Rutgers, and UConn leaving the conference) then you can be rest assured that East Carolina, Southern Miss, and Tulsa will be first in line and believe me they will leave CUSA in a heartbeat. Then you are left with the Sun Belt 2.0 and a few schools who have absolutely no interest in competing in D1A football (Rice, Tulane, UAB). UNT should be hoping and praying for a stabilized Big East.

Spin the commish change any which way you want. It still presents uncertainty, and from the outside, comes exactly during the time period in which it's widely understood that the conference is renegotiating TV rights---something that is usually left to the conference commish. The timing of it doesn't jive with your explaining this away as something that was planned/expected long ago. Why run off your commish while he's neck deep working on your new TV deal??

Does it spell end of days? Probably not, but maybe. Rest assured, though, most on here understand that we absolutely do not want the BE imploding. Yet.

• Upvote 1

SDSU and Boise are not throwing their other sports under the bus in any way. They are members of the Big East in football only. If the presidents of those schools turned down 15M a year in TV revenue just so their women's volleyball team could play Wyoming instead of Gonzaga they should be strung up on the highest tree on their campus. This is a really stupid argument anyway. The Big East will have a replacement for Marinatto that is a much better salesman and frontman for the conference. This was unanimously approved by all Big East presidents (including the new additions).

The real issue here for UNT is the stability of the Big East. Again, should anything unexpected happen (i.e. Louisville, Cincinatti, Rutgers, and UConn leaving the conference) then you can be rest assured that East Carolina, Southern Miss, and Tulsa will be first in line and believe me they will leave CUSA in a heartbeat. Then you are left with the Sun Belt 2.0 and a few schools who have absolutely no interest in competing in D1A football (Rice, Tulane, UAB). UNT should be hoping and praying for a stabilized Big East.

Having been around the DFW college football scene since 1972, my take on SMU is that its just a bunch of their fat cat alums who want to keep SMU football on some semblance of life support because the SMU student body seem to care less.

UNT is hoping and praying (well really.... not to that extent) that SMU will do the right thing and just drop football, make Ford a nice home field for the Park Cities high schools and just quit trying to pretend that anyone really cares about their 1939 national championship and Doak Walker era of the 1940's of which SMU still gets much traction from. I don't think the SMU of the 80's is seriously considerred because of the rampant cheating that was going on before SMU got caught and God only knows to some extent after they got caught.

North Texas will take care of North Texas and we are going to be just fine, because when the Big East powers that be get arial photos from one of our alums who flies frequently and when he takes aerial pics of SMU's Game Day crowds versus UNT's Game Day crowds over the space of (let's say) the next 2 or 3 seasons they (the B.E. powers that be) will all look at each other almost in a catatonic trance and say........"we damn sure did choose the wrong school for the Big East as far as DFW is concerned because just look at the arial pics that don't match up with what SMU keeps reporting as their attendance--counting season ticket holders or not counting season ticket holders."

SMU had one of its football players in the midst of their winning season last year pen a letter to either the SMU campus paper of maybe even the DMN which basically said "we didn't sign on to come help this school win while no one seems to give a rat's behind one way or the other as our team looks around at an empty Ford Stadium."

Go ahead, SMU, keep on living in the past because the future belongs to the University of North Texas along with its lights out growth and (quite frankly) that's whether you like to hear that or not. We took your place in C-USA and we will probably take your place in the Big East in due time when your alums finally "get it" from the SMU student body and you can mark that in 3 inch headlines,

GMG!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

1.4 billion endowment, top fifty national ranking, an athletic budget that dwarfs anything UNT can muster up, an additional 750M in fundraising efforts in the past four years alone, incoming freshmen SAT average of 1300, acceptance rate below 40%, three straight bowl games, half of student body from out of state, a presidential library, and entrance into a BCS conference (for now).

Don't make me flick another booger on you by suggesting SMU should quit football. UNT hired a high school coaching staff that managed to run the program into the ground. I like McCarney and I think he'll succeed, but the Mean Green are just potential right now. And in the realm of academia UNT is light years behind SMU. It doesn't mean that UNT is a piss poor university in any way. But in terms of university rankings just in the state of Texas UNT is behind every other major Texas university aside from possibility UT-San Antonio and UT-El Paso. Calling those schools "major" is really a stretch also. So take it easy on the giving up football talk.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Downvote 2

BTW, UNT is joining a conference with a couple of schools who are currently evaluating the landscape of continuing football at the D1A level. Rice, Tulane, and UAB have all had informal discussions on whether or not they will keep it up. Rice I believe is VERY close to coming to the conclusion that football just doesn't make sense for them anymore. They now are in a conference with none of their traditional rivals and other than Tulane have no school that comes anywhere near them academically. Tulane, on the other hand, can't get the $$$ together to build their own stadium. Combined with the lingering effects of Katrina and the school's horrid record in football over the last several years and they're in the same boat. In 5-7 years it wouldn't shock me in the least to see Rice, Tulane, and UAB out of the football racket.

Rice has some rich and powerful alums from what my few Rice folks say. While I'm not doubting that there have been conversations on dropping football I think when push comes to shove they will keep it and figure out a way to make it worthwhile and still be successful. SMU found a way so I am sure Rice can do the same. I think Tulane will do the same thing...when push comes to shove I don't see them dropping it or moving down to FBS etc...they'll keep it and I think they'll find a way to keep it and make it prosper.

And I'll stress again that your selling points for SMU on endowment is great and all but when it comes down to results on the fields and court then none of that matters. You guys have had some success the last few years but let's see what happens when June Jones decides to bolt for a better job in a bigger time program. SMU has made some strides but you're still light years behind where you guys think you really are.

You really don''t get it... SMU wasn't playing anyone in part of the 80's... They were suspended for cheating... and before that since they were cheating, the results are meaningless.

I realize Centenary doesn't play football now ...... the point was games that occurred many decades ago are now meaningless when evaluating a program now..

You just don't understand.... the point of anything I said. ... It was pretty obvious what I meant ..... Wow...

And no... North Texas was never "dying to be in a conference with SMU".... we just wanted to be in a more recognized conference and whether SMU was there are not ... meant nothing,. It is not all about you as you picture things... [ inflated ego is a big SMU problem, ask anyone from any college... they will just laugh ] At this point I honestly hope we never schedule SMU again.. they need us for attendance...... we don't need them.

SMU DOESN"T PLAY SOUTHLAND TEAMS ???? ... go look ....smu has played Sam Houston, S.F Austin (won by 8) and NW Louisiana, and TexState in the past 5 years..... in fact smu played mighty NW La. last year. ----what a memory---- but you want to remember games from the 20's and 30's.!! .. Since 1994.. UNT has played one Southland team, unlike SMU which schedules them regularly.

I get your points they are just pointless and poorly made

SMU was only suspended for a single season and they choose to not play for two seasons so that is two out of 10 years in the 80s they did not play football

North Texas-Denton did not play D1-A football for 7 years in the 80s and 5 years in the 90s

I was never using the overall win loss record as a means to say what happens today, but the fact that they have played you many many times and North Texas-Denton coaching legend Hayden Fry states how appreciative he was for SMU stepping up and playing when others would not shows that SMU has never been scared to play and the win loss record just shows that there has never been a period and time when they should have been scared to play

of course North Texas-Denton is dying to be in a conference with SMU that is the whole reason that everyone on this forum foolishly holds such a grudge against SMU because you badly wanted to be in the SWC and you falsely believe that SMU blocked you even though North Texas-Denton coaching legend Hayden Fry has stated in writing that SMU never blocked North Texas-Denton you still cling to that idea because it gives an easy excuse for never being able to step the program up on it's own merits and then again the same thing with CUSA constantly believing that a single NEW team in a 12 team conference had the power to block you......you talk about SMU arrogance then you are the very one that makes SMU into this super powerful blocker of all things North Texas-Denton in conference movement

similar to the idiots that blame UT for running the Big 12 when the Big 12 was a 12 team conference with NU and OU and TAMU some of the most respected programs with the largest fan bases in the country, but they are apparently such a sad sack of dung that UT can push all them around and made them vote the same way that UT does on every single thing ....only OU fans have never bought into that and that is why their program continues to have success while the others took their ball and ran off crying

lastly I never said that SMU did not play Southland teams that is just you tossing out a strawman so you can have a point to "win" but yet again it is so poorly thought out and such a rush to "win" that it is easy to refute......it goes right back to the point I made before about SMU not NEEDING to play North Texas-Denton nearly as often as they do.....there are 10 D1-A teams in Texas and 2 more now and many more Texas D1-AA teams and D1-AA teams in nearby states......if all of their fan bases felt the same way that North Texas-Denton fans feel about SMU them SMU would have to play about 20 games a season so that everyone could get their SMU time and their SMU love and so they could not claim SMU is scared of them or dodging them......you are so obsessed with SMU that you had coaches calling them out for not playing you....again SMU has a rival it is called TCU.....SMU has a dozen or more teams to choose in Texas alone in D1 and more in D1-AA to choose to play...that means they have to restrict their alone time with North Texas-Denton even if it hurts your feelings because they are not in a conference with you and they are not a rival of yours (or you are not a rival of theirs really)

without playing North Texas-Denton in 2012 SMU will have 10 out of 12 games they play within the borders of Texas in 2013 it will be 8 or 9 depending on if UH is a home game or not so SMU has their Texas games covered

SMU gets at least 50% of their freshman enrollment from outside of Texas so it makes sense for them to look at the Big East that will possibly give them exposure from coast to coast.....while some schools need t play teams close to them in hopes that their fans will show up to help fill the stands SMU has the approach that they would rather sell their university with athletics and that at some point if they are winning fans will show up or if they can attract students based on seeing their athletics then those students will show up and into the future after graduation continue to show up and support SMU......that 50% of new students from outside of Texas is coming for some reason and it is not the low cost tuition so it is either the academics or it is because of the athletics exposure or perhaps it is because the athletics exposure helped create academic exposure that brought those students to campus......either way SMU has their texas exposure covered and perhaps over exposed and SMU is busy taking care of SMU not worrying about what other metro area programs in a different conference are doing.....that is something the members of this forum seem to have a very hard time understanding and grasping which is why there are probably 4-5 SMU threads on the first page of several parts of this forum at any one time

if the members of this forum were not so desperate to gain acceptance by SMU then there would be the same amount of Texas Tech, TCU, UH, UT, TAMU and other threads on this forum, but there are not there are SMU SMU SMU threads....because the members of this forum can't grasp the reality that SMU is taking care of SMU and that SMU has never blocked North Texas-Denton from anything because they are not worrying about North Texas-Denton they are worring about themselves which is why inspite of not that great of an on the field performance in recent history they are still moving on up and their on the field performance is finally improving as well

there is no arguement to "win" there is just reality

• Downvote 4

Rice has already reaffirmed their commitment to D1-A athletics that study was at least 5 or 6 years ago and once it was completed there has been no mention of it since

Tulsa did the same thing and again once completed they made the commitment and moved on

Rice has completely rebuilt their basketball facility and they are in the planning stages for their football stadium getting some major work and their baseball facility is first class

just because they don't win in football specifically doesn't mean they are making a yearly review of playing in D1-A or not.....that was a one time deal and it has been decided

Rice is also looking to grow enrollment and specifically not looking to add professors to do so because they evaluated similar universities and found that their student to faculty ratio was extremely low even compared to similar schools so they feel they can add students and not decrease quality or reputation so this will help the bottom line at Rice and it will increase potential fans and future alumni and again D1-A athletics can play a part in that enrollment increase since Rice has also seen they have a Texas enrollment that is larger than in state enrollments of other similar schools across the country.....they are not overly concerned by this, but if they had more students from other states they would welcome that as well and D1-A athletics can make that happen

• Downvote 1

1.4 billion endowment, top fifty national ranking, an athletic budget that dwarfs anything UNT can muster up, an additional 750M in fundraising efforts in the past four years alone, incoming freshmen SAT average of 1300, acceptance rate below 40%, three straight bowl games, half of student body from out of state, a presidential library, and entrance into a BCS conference (for now).

Don't make me flick another booger on you by suggesting SMU should quit football. UNT hired a high school coaching staff that managed to run the program into the ground. I like McCarney and I think he'll succeed, but the Mean Green are just potential right now. And in the realm of academia UNT is light years behind SMU. It doesn't mean that UNT is a piss poor university in any way. But in terms of university rankings just in the state of Texas UNT is behind every other major Texas university aside from possibility UT-San Antonio and UT-El Paso. Calling those schools "major" is really a stretch also. So take it easy on the giving up football talk.

The REALITY of the situation is that SMU, with an endowment and athletic budget that "dwarfs" UNT's, still does not OUTDRAW UNT or really garner any more attention to it's athletic programs within DFW. In basketball attendance, UNT "dwarfs" SMU. If Larry Brown can't change that, maybe some of the power brokers over on the Hilltop will finally wake up.

In your words, UNT is all potential. What is SMU?

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

BTW, UNT is joining a conference with a couple of schools who are currently evaluating the landscape of continuing football at the D1A level. Rice, Tulane, and UAB have all had informal discussions on whether or not they will keep it up. Rice I believe is VERY close to coming to the conclusion that football just doesn't make sense for them anymore. They now are in a conference with none of their traditional rivals and other than Tulane have no school that comes anywhere near them academically. Tulane, on the other hand, can't get the $$$ together to build their own stadium. Combined with the lingering effects of Katrina and the school's horrid record in football over the last several years and they're in the same boat. In 5-7 years it wouldn't shock me in the least to see Rice, Tulane, and UAB out of the football racket.

again not true

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/atascocita/sports/upgrades-to-football-stadium-among-many-topics-at-rice-athletics/article_49bc5fec-4323-11e1-8eed-0019bb2963f4.html

their study about dropping down was at least 5 years ago if not more and the conclusion was made to not drop down and that was the end of it

and Tulane just in the last 12 months started talking about a new stadium so it is not like they have been talking about it for 5-6 years and they are still just talking.....Tulane has been talking about their new stadium for half the time that UH has and UH is just now breaking ground so Tulane is not failing to get the money they are just starting to get money

and Tulsa is not Rice academically, but they are not far behind that is for sure and UAB may be out of D1-A football in a few years, but Rice and Tulane won't be

and while SMU has a 1.2 billion dollar endowment and a 750 million dollar campaign Rice has a 4.45 billion dollar endowment and they are near the closing of a billion dollar campaign with half that was raised in the "quiet" phase so Rice can afford to stay in D1-A and their goal of increasing enrollment will help that along with improving facilities including football

Want a medal?

Also, I don't think its healthy for any school to ever feel that is has "arrived" or to be satisfied with the status quo. To the guy that feels that SMU can feel UNT creeping up behind them I say that EVERY school should have a healthy dose of respect and fear for its opponents (regardless of conference affiliation or stature). UNT can flourish in CUSA and I would be greatly disappointed if they continued to lose and didn't make the most of the opportunity CUSA presents to the university. That said, I don't think any of the powerbrokers at SMU are overly concerned with what is going on at UNT. SMU has a 1.4 billion endowment, a tier one ranking, entering a BCS conference (for now anywayI), a 750M fundraising effort, a presidential library, former NFL head coach, and an NBA Hall of Fame basketball coach. I think its clear that SMU has made the financial and administrative commitment to being competitive at the highest levels.

I agree with your statement about it not being, "healthy for any school to ever feel that it has "arrived" or to be satisfied with the status quo." Of course, that applies to both UNT and SMU and yes I must admit that some of our beloved posters here are letting their pride overtake their humbleness. Forgive them. They were probably too young to remember how SMU taught us all about "The Pride Comes Before The Fall"

I also do not believe that we have seen the end of conference realignment and that should the Big East implode it could severly damage UNT"s hope of finally breaking out. We'll see.

As to your statement about SMU's powerbrokers not being overly concerned with what is going on at UNT, Hogwash! Of course they are. They aren't stupid. They have always kept a watchful eye on UNT, even if only an occasional glance once in awhile to make sure there was no potential threat brewing in Denton.

SMU does have one very real and strong fear of something UNT has that SMU doesn't have and that's NUMBERS. Someone just recently printed those numbers in an article that I do not recall, to be in the neighborhood of 300,000 in the Metro-plex. I don't believe that but it probably is around 200,000 plus. True, UNT has failed to connect with them as well as generations of students and Denton area residents. Why? One can speculate all they want as to the reason for such a disconnect but decades of islolation, not being included in the top conference in a state where football is king may have a lot to do with it. Other than the Lone Star Conference and Southland, UNT has never been afforded the opportunity to establish long term rivalries with other D1A Texas schools at the level people in the State of Texas care about. The Missouri Valley, then Independence, D1AA, Big West and then Sun Belt. Wow! Who cares? Who among us doesn't know and understand the importance of public perception? You?

Although the new CUSA may not seem to be quite as strong as it was and has been in the past it does finally give UNT the chance to establish some local rivialries. Whether Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, UTSA, and UTEP will be enough no one knows yet.

However, SMU was very aware by joining the Big East they were allowing UNT an opportunity they have never had before in Athletics. Gamble? Who knows? However, the local TV press did a good job of not covering one of the biggest events in the history of UNT Athletics thereby depriving 200,000 or more of their listeners the good news. Happenstance? Coincidence? Yeah right. Sure.

No one knows what will happen for sure. Will UNT finally break the shackles of always being the nobody in the metro-plex and state of Texas? Will the future see UNT adding an upper deck to Apogee because of ticket demand? Don't know. Can't say. Time will tell.

But yes, the powerbrokers of SMU are watching closely. The culture and success at UNT could very well mushroom over night in the eyes of many but us old dudes know it will have taken decades.

See you in 2014, of course that is contingent on your school not chickening out.

Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 1

All those studies have been completed and it seems they all want to stick around the NCAA FBS scene. Try again.

AND......I didn't know SMU'ers flicked boogers. :( I thought a little white dove flew to all of your alums aid when the nasal passages became a tad congested with foreign matter and yall dispensed that in a little silk purse-ette for the dove to fly away to take it whereever the hell SMU boogers go. :hair: (I know, this is getting a bit silly).

Still, why do SMU alums want to keep their football program going when (maybe) only about 1,500 of your undergrad students may show up for home games? Most those I know would call that throwing good money after some terrifically bad money but oh well.....it's yalls money to burn. Most schools do not touch their endowment coffers to take care of anything concerning college athletics. I know UNT cannot use a dime of our endowment coffers for anything that pertains to the UNT Athletic Dept.

Look, lets get this straight without all the additional lagniape of which I've added more than I ever wanted to but........... SMU is a private university that meets the needs of a certain clientele of student and UNT is a Texas public unversity that meets the needs of what is probably a more diversified student body--one much larger. And always from your alums the old commuter school? UT-Austin is more a commuter school than North Texas if you dig deep enough to compare how many of their students live off campus compared to ours. I grew up in the Greater Houston area and Cougar High was was UH fans had to listen to and all that from mostly the former SWC private universities. So...to quote Rosanne Adana from SNL........it's always something.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Also, I don't think its healthy for any school to ever feel that is has "arrived" or to be satisfied with the status quo. To the guy that feels that SMU can feel UNT creeping up behind them I say that EVERY school should have a healthy dose of respect and fear for its opponents (regardless of conference affiliation or stature). UNT can flourish in CUSA and I would be greatly disappointed if they continued to lose and didn't make the most of the opportunity CUSA presents to the university. That said, I don't think any of the powerbrokers at SMU are overly concerned with what is going on at UNT. SMU has a 1.4 billion endowment, a tier one ranking, entering a BCS conference (for now anywayI), a 750M fundraising effort, a presidential library, former NFL head coach, and an NBA Hall of Fame basketball coach. I think its clear that SMU has made the financial and administrative commitment to being competitive at the highest levels.

Stop cutting and pasting Wikipedia facts about an institution that we don't care about. It's sad.

I imagine you as a lonely guy in his tighty whities with Cheetos stained fingers in your mom's basement blogging nonsense to people who care less about you during breaks in your Everquest action. I bet you'll get your flaming purple sword yielded by a wizard or yeoman. Plus, Avengers is out so have mom drop you off so you can hit the food court before the flick and leave us alone for a bit.

Remember, the Hobbit is coming out in December so get your best Frodo hair grown out or a wig if the balding has taken over prematurely. You need a goal to get you out of the basement. Good luck.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Downvote 1