ODU may not be done: MTSU could be replacement?

Harry

La Tech, FIU, Charlotte, UTSA and even Old Dominion have something UNT doesn't have................the one major flaw of UNT.....

BASEBALL!

idon't consider the lack of another non revenue sport a flaw. if we added mens baseball we probably would have to add at least one other womens sport. the bottom line is that the only sport we have that produces somewhat of a positive is mens football, and i doubt it is that much. our mens basketball program eats up $800,000+ in coaching expentures, draws 4,000 average, of which about 1,500 are students[just a guess], which doesn't leave a lot of income when your base is about 2,500. SMU spends more money and gets less out of it than any university i know,and even they can't afford mens baseball. i can't justify $7 million or so dollars to build a baseball park whose fans will number about the same as our womens basketball attendance, plus the cost of coaches and scholarships.strike 3 for me.
  • Upvote 3

if we added mens baseball we probably would have to add at least one other womens sport.

No, we won't. Not sure why this belief remains out there. We already excel at Title IX compliance and have five women's sports with no equivalent men's sport. The only men's sport with no female equivalent is football.

We offer a lot of opportunities for women athletes and adding baseball should not cause any reasonable person to question our compliance efforts.

• Upvote 1

I am just going to guess, just a guess, that the name is a reference to Miami being Florida's global gateway city.

That is the hazard of hanging around the opponent's board. And you could beat us a hundred times and it is not going to do anything for you. People are still going to go 'Florida WHAT?' It'll work well for your mens' soccer team though. At least you have one!

• Upvote 2

That is the hazard of hanging around the opponent's board. And you could beat us a hundred times and it is not going to do anything for you. People are still going to go 'Florida WHAT?' It'll work well for your mens' soccer team though. At least you have one!

HAHA. I think they are trying to figure out what all the fuss is about, they have been in C-USA for years.

• Upvote 1

I am just going to guess, just a guess, that the name is a reference to Miami being Florida's global gateway city.

With the exception of Nevada in football and UNLV in basketball, it isn't as if the current MWC brings a ton to the table. C-USA has a better line up top to bottom in the two main revenue sports than the MWC.

When will you all be changing your name?

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

No, we won't. Not sure why this belief remains out there. We already excel at Title IX compliance and have five women's sports with no equivalent men's sport. The only men's sport with no female equivalent is football.

We offer a lot of opportunities for women athletes and adding baseball should not cause any reasonable person to question our compliance efforts.

as a reasonable person[i think] i stand corrected, and appreciate your coments. however, i would put a dedicated basketball practice and indoor football/soccer facilities ahead of a baseball park.there are just so many beans in the pot. just an old mans opinion.
  • Upvote 1