Say it ain't so Johnny: LSU after Odoh?

Harry

per ESPN:

quote:

To say that LSU is thin in the frontcourt is an understatement. As Randy Rosetta of TigerSportsDigest.com writes today, "of the Tigers' seven returning scholarship players, six are guards or swingmen -- rising sophomore Johnny O'Bryant (6-foot-9, 262 pounds) is the only true post player." And most of the 2012 recruits that LSU is in on are also guard or swingmen. So which post players does new coach Johnny Jones still have a shot at? According to Rosetta, two possibilities could include John Odo, a 6-11, 240-pound sophomore from Hill College in Texas who committed to Jones at North Texas, and former Nebraska commit Fahro Alihodzic, a 6-foot-9, 240-pound JUCO big man who played parts of two seasons at Fordham.

Read more: http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/32925953/Possible-Post-Players-for-LSU-Recruiting.aspx

Meangreensports.com article indicates he signed with UNT....

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 11/09/2011

DENTON, Texas – North Texas basketball coach Johnny Jones signed Argyle standout Clarke Overlander and Hill College big man John Odoh to play for the Mean Green in 2012-13.

Overlander and Odoh will join a Mean Green squad that welcomed the nation’s No. 30 ranked recruiting class to Denton for the 2011-12 season. North Texas, which has won at least 20 games in five straight years, opens its season at home on Nov. 11 against St. Gregory at 7 p.m

More discussions on Odoh from Tiggerdroppings.com

..who is the AD at North Texas. Villareal is an LSU guy who used to coach under Hallman, if I remember right.

Jones needs to sit down with Villareal and tell him "I need you to hook me up by letting my 6-10 JUCO kid out of his deal. And if you'll do that I'll make it up to you by feeding your new coach players for the next couple years."

The JUCO kid, who's been talked about on this board a little, is a Nigerian named John Odoh. He's at Hill Junior College in Texas, and this year he averaged 12 points a game, which is nothing to write home about, but he also had 14 rebounds and 4.6 blocks a game. And while I doubt he scores a lot at the next level (if you're only scoring 12 a game against JUCO competition where big men are really scarce you probably lack offensive skills), those rebounds and blocks might very well translate. Particularly as he's raw as hell and surviving on pure athleticism right now; you can get by on athleticism for defense and rebounding while you're learning how to play.

Read more: http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?p=32925953&pg=2

LSU can kiss my .... I hate their attitude of thinking because they are LSU we will just do what they want. We whipped them in Baton Rouge two years ago and would do it again this year. We will have a higher ranked team next year, so they can forget about any special arrangements. I like JJ, but I could care less if they win a game next year.

• Upvote 2

that should have already been apart of the buyout/contract in the 1st place if you ask me.

1) You will not allow releases to any player signed and/or currently enrolled to the school who just took your coach. As a AD , you can have restrictions on where players want to go if they want to leave.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that info above

Terrible reporting.

Odoh is signed. He is not going to get let out of his commitment, and, quite frankly, I think JJ has his sights set on other players besides North Texas recruits. It would be a huge waste of his time because THEY ARE SIGNED.

• Upvote 2

Ugh... Where's the Espn link?

Right now it looks like we link to tiger droppings which claims to be linked to Espn which claims to have heard from a Lsu blog which claims to have read tigers droppings.

Pretty flimsy at this point.

Ok.

Looks like you have to have espn insider. It's under the rumor central heading.

It still looks like bullsh to me tho. Just a guess.

• Upvote 1

1334985073' post='638894']

Ugh... Where's the Espn link?

Right now it looks like we link to tiger droppings which claims to be linked to Espn which claims to have heard from a Lsu blog which claims to have read tigers droppings.

Pretty flimsy at this point.

I think this is all just speculation. Unless JJ specifically said Odoh in a radio show , I don't see how this holds any water at all. Only thing i see is some poster who says " does this mean we get Odoh" after someone mentioned both Leonard & Forrest coming to Baton Rogue. Some tiger fans must think they can just grab whomever they want because they are LSU

Let's all just remember this is the same site that started the AD & Jamie Dixon meeting in Atlanta talk. Several news outlets ran with the story and it was all over websites & twitter. Turned out untrue as Dixon was @ a pittsburgh penguins game the very night this so called meeting was taking place. There was never meeting. Another example of fine journalism

I don't think JJ is after Odoh , I would hope not.

• Upvote 1

I agree. Johnny would not do this to us. My fear was that it indicated Odoh had not signed.

Here's a link but you have to be ESPN Insider to read the article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors?id=7201&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2ffeatures%2frumors%3fid%3d7201#TOP

Looks like ESPN is trying to lure people into buying their service.

I agree. Johnny would not do this to us. My fear was that it indicated Odoh had not signed.

Here's a link but you have to be ESPN Insider to read the article:

http://insider.espn....3fid%3d7201#TOP

Looks like ESPN is trying to lure people into buying their service.

If Odoh was a Tony Mitchell talent and unsigned, JJ WOULD do this to us in a second. It's a business, folks, and an loyalry JJ felt to UNT ended when he spoke at the opening press conference as the new coach at his Alma mater. It's not that JJ wouldn't do this to us, it's that he can't, and probably wouldn't want to because of Odoh being a borderline SEC talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A former football player @ the game yesterday said that if a juco signs with a school , hasnt enrolled yet & the coaching staff leaves then the NCAA will give the player a option for an out. He says it happened to him as a juco after he signed & Simon ( i believe it was) was fired. NCAA called an asked if he wanted out of his LOI

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why would JJ not try and go after Odoh, hes spent 9 months recruiting him to UNT and hes not even there anymore....

I'm sorry, I thought that Johnny was on the UNT payroll when he recruited and signed Odoh. Let's see, we pay the entire load and LSU reaps the benefits? Johnny Jones has more integrity than that. I believe that all of this was just some blogger thinking (and not very well) out loud.

• Upvote 1