UNT Announces new Deal with 95.3 KHYI FM (The Range)

Harry

Don't you know, Rich Phillips, the program director, is an $MU Alum.

No he isn't. He (real name Richard Phillp Hicks) is an NT alum. He was in school the same time as Mark Followill and I.

• Upvote 1

It's a good thing I live in Houston so all I can do is stream games anyway. 100.7 internet coverage was great. 88.1 internet feed would be over loaded (too many user/listeners for good internet quality broadcast), and good old Christian internet feed was Aces!!!

MGR Radio network should always be about coverage area not format. This is a joke of a move by UNT AD or our administration!!! How in the world does anyone justify less coverage in your home market!!! UNT should be adding regional Radio Stations across the state!!!

Everyone can say...oh...just get your iPhone or other devise, but I'm not in my 20's any longer. If I can turn the dial while in the car, pickup UNT sports with ease that's what counts.

To be total honest it's hard to hear our announcers say "the mean green radio network" when we basically only have 1 or 2 radio stations!! It would be more appropriate for UNT to say "we have a pier to pier structure", or some other rinky, dinky set up.

I don't think TTech worries about what station they broadcast on in Houston just as long as it's a powerful station that attracts listeners and gives alumni and fans a way to enjoy their sporting events.

Just who was the bone head who made this move. With all of our alumni in the sports broadcasting business you'd have thaught 1 of our alumni would have told someone don't cost yourself audience which is directly affected by radio signal coverage. I hope RV didn't do or approve of this move, or God help us with our search for a new men's BB coach!!! :growl:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So it covers LESS of the Metro area, has technical issues form time to time ... and this is good?

:o

Ya, it's a definite step down. Hopefully RV will add another station that covers Arlington and areas west of there. 95.9 would be the perfect partner to ensure a HUGE coverage area, but I doubt there is any interest from them.

This cuts out half the metroplex. Plus, I don't think Grayson county is the hotbed of high school basketball talent, but maybe I'm wrong.

The new station might not have the range of the old station but there are two reasons why this might have been made. It could be that the new station will do much more cross-promotions. Secondly, it may not have been our choice to change.

I think this is most likely what happened. It was always a strange partnership for a religious station.

Edited by UNT90

I tried listening to 95.3 FM last Saturday down in Grand Prairie.

The signal would fade in and out on both the car radio and my home radio.

I can receive 88.1 on the car radio.

On the home radio, other station signals over ride the 88.1 signal.

fades in and out.

It's a good thing I live in Houston so all I can do is stream games anyway. 100.7 internet coverage was great. 88.1 internet feed would be over loaded (too many user/listeners for good internet quality broadcast), and good old Christian internet feed was Aces!!!

MGR Radio network should always be about coverage area not format. This is a joke of a move by UNT AD or our administration!!! How in the world does anyone justify less coverage in your home market!!! UNT should be adding regional Radio Stations across the state!!!

Everyone can say...oh...just get your iPhone or other devise, but I'm not in my 20's any longer. If I can turn the dial while in the car, pickup UNT sports with ease that's what counts.

To be total honest it's hard to hear our announcers say "the mean green radio network" when we basically only have 1 or 2 radio stations!! It would be more appropriate for UNT to say "we have a pier to pier structure", or some other rinky, dinky set up.

I don't think TTech worries about what station they broadcast on in Houston just as long as it's a powerful station that attracts listeners and gives alumni and fans a way to enjoy their sporting events.

Just who was the bone head who made this move. With all of our alumni in the sports broadcasting business you'd have thaught 1 of our alumni would have told someone don't cost yourself audience which is directly affected by radio signal coverage. I hope RV didn't do or approve of this move, or God help us with our search for a new men's BB coach!!! :growl:

This sounds more like a "good ol' boy" network move than one that would actually benefit our alma mater long term and as far as maximum fan coverage is concerned. If there are around 7,000,000 citizens in our metro area as estimated, why is a station that might cover 1/4'th of that (give or take) such a hot item even if they can promote wet T-shirt night or not? :blink:

I really liked this online publication from the MG website when it was actually what we had going for us, but with this new arrangement this write-up will have to change some coverage numbers dramatically from 10,000,000 all the way down to ______________ ? http://www.meangreen...00&ATCLID=68062

To those on campus: We actually read and comprehend all that you post but for the life of me, for the last 1 or 2 decades this is what North Texas does best: Goes 3 giant steps forward and then 4 back. Can we freakin' break this cycle before some of us go into eternity?

Like it or or not, we are still at the mercy of those in higher education who make decisions (many good/many bad) for our alma mater. Somewhat like we are at the mercy of those in Washington D.C. who spend our tax monies (that is, for those who work and pay taxes) for whatever their whim of the day is or political philosophy thats going to fix all which ultimately proves to really not be broken and this from both sides of the aisle I will add.

We need more far-reaching North Texas Metroplex coverage because that is where most of our constituency live and work. Adding another station or 2 would probably fix that.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

So I'm supposed to believe a religious station that donation driven said to the 3rd or 4th largest university in the state, Oh...my station doesn't need you business anyway, Bye Bye. If you believe that I have some more wind mills to sell you that will power the heavy cranes that built Appogee Stadium!!!

If the PC "I can't broadcast on a religious station because I'm a state U." holds water why was UNT broadcasting on 100.7 to begin with. Seems to me plenty of UNT faithful are Christian's and I'm proud to let you know that I am. Usually don't post as much, but someone really pulled a bone headed move decreasing the "UNT Radio Networks", again if you can call it that scope of coverage. Bone headed, someone should be called on carpet for this one and fired. If you'd made a station move with the same or greater coverage area I'd applaud you, but since you didn't...Bone Headed!!! :blowup:

Isn't the University supposed to put out RFQ's, RFP's for stuff like this. Then isn't someone supposed to review and take into account geographic coverage which equals total market wide listener ship?

Pure stupidity or brother in law deal. UNT has to be able to come up with a better FM flagship station than they did. You don't exclude any of the Metroplex listening area unless your, again dumb as a stump!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Checked the range of 95.3 this morning and my seek doesn't even pick it up in North Dallas?? :angry:

Like the music but the signal blows... There has to be more to the story?? Signal and coverage area should trump anything else...if people can't pick it up what does it matter if it's better programming?

If the Christian station booted us or raised their prices up so be it but please don't pass this as an improvement. I wonder if this isn't a strategy to get more people to buy Mean Green Premium?

You've taken my thoughts out of my head, and put them on the thread.

Thanks. I didn't want to type all of that out. You're spot on!

• Upvote 1

There's another reason I'm irritated. State Senator Dan Patrick owns KVCE AM 1160 in Dallas and KSEV 700 in Houston, TX. KSEV 700 is one of the top talk radio stations in the 4th largest city in the US. Senator Patrick is the Vice Chairman or Chairman of the Higher Education Sub-committee for the Senate of Texas. This means any legislation concerning UNT or Higher Education in the State of Texas goes through his Senate sub-committee ie Tier 1 University standards, status or anything else concerning higher education. I don't know if Mr. Rowlins UNT President has appeared before this committee, but I know our previous President did concerning Tier 1 University status within the State of Texas.

Senator Patrick was a Sport announcer I believe for Channel 2 Houston back in the day before he went into the Radio business. Before Senator Patrick started KSEV in Houston he ran the 2 largest talk radio stations in Houston for Clear Channel communications AM 740 and AM 950. AM 740 and AM 950 always broadcast Big 12 football/basketball!!

Did anyone in our AD department or Administration think about contacting a Radio Station owner that could put UNT on the air in the 2 largest state media markets and has powerful influence over UNT's future through the State of Texas. My guess is, big fat NO!!!!

Senator Patrick wouldn't do anything to show favoritism to UNT because his station broadcast our games he has to much integrity for that. However, It would be nice if someone within UNT did a little homework so we could cover Texas's 2 largest media markets within the state. For that matter I bet Dan Patrick knows a lot of independent Radio station owners in Texas who would love to carry UNT Sports as part of a real

"UNT Radio Network" for a song!!!

Seems to me if UNT is going to CUSA/MWC our AD and Administration should start thinking a tad bit smarter than our new FM station contract indicates.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Checked the range of 95.3 this morning and my seek doesn't even pick it up in North Dallas?? :angry:

Like the music but the signal blows... There has to be more to the story?? Signal and coverage area should trump anything else...if people can't pick it up what does it matter if it's better programming?

If the Christian station booted us or raised their prices up so be it but please don't pass this as an improvement. I wonder if this isn't a strategy to get more people to buy Mean Green Premium?

So you are saying Mr. Universe had it wrong?

Wikileaks_cantstopsignal.png

• Upvote 1

I tried it out a few times over the weekend and the signal stinks. Our coverage is now not a whole lot better than UTA's pathetic signal provides. Many of our recent high level BB recruits have come out of the South Dallas area, and now they and their families will have to climb the highest structure they can find with their radios in tow, and hope and pray that 88.1 is having a good day. Not a smart move IMO.

• Upvote 2

Harry, I just wanted to double emphasize the message of your post and just hit the wrong size number.

But....its just more of the 3 giant steps forward 4 backward mentality some of us have seen for way too long at North Texas.

Listen to me now: Apogee Stadium had to be built or we were going to pretty well (and very soon) be out of the NCAA D1 football business in Denton; but there are some on our campus who better by God be glad it was built because it just gave them yet another pass to sit back, relax and add a few more years to a few careers that before Apogee was built could not seem to get better jobs elsewhere. Just sayin' what I've heard said many times by numerous fans and alums...that's all.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Has anybody considered the fact that The Word might have dropped NT. I read somewhere that they will be broadcasting LSU games next season. The number of LSU alums that would benefit from it's signal is greater than the number of NT alums that benefited from the signal. It's all about the Benjamin$, and L$U brings in more of the presidents.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Has anybody considered the fact that The Word might have dropped NT. I read somewhere that they will be broadcasting LSU games next season. The number of LSU alums that would benefit from it's signal is greater than the number of NT alums that benefited from the signal. It's all about the Benjamin$, and L$U brings in more of the presidents.

Well yeah, it seems pretty likely that's what happened, as some posted a few days ago. It's just kind of funny watching the spin being put on it. And you would think we could find a station (or stations) with comparable coverage to what we had before.

• Upvote 2

You sure about that? Compared to NT, a pretty hefty percentage of LSU football games are watchable on TV around here, and BB hasn't really been their strong suit in recent years. Also, don't know if it's still true, but I've been able to pick up LSU games on a powerful AM station around DFW on a regular basis over the years. I just think it really sux that we appear to be losing clear radio coverage in the eastern and southern areas of Dallas County, as well as the western and southern parts of Tarrant County. Hope we can find a way to make a new deal with someone else before Fall.

• Upvote 1

Too long.....don't read any of this. You've been forewarned.:sword:

Well there goes the "non religious university" or "no beer advertising" theories of the 100.7 FM Christian radio station because LSU famously (and allegedly) has the biggest collective number of drunks among their stadium fans and alumnus numbers than just about any other FBS school. In fact, LSU and their minions would make our group look like a chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Drivers comparatively.

As GreenBat posted and he's probably spot on (again), "it's all about the Benjamin$, and L$U brings in more of the presidents." :abe:

:shocking: So just maybe UNT should just ask KCBI if they'd be interested in broadcasting our games. For newbies the "CBI" part of that station's call letters stands for Criswell Bible Institute named after Dallas' First Baptist Church icon, the late Dr. W.A. Criswell. (I'd bet a DJ gig that Baylor would probably have first dibs on that station, though).

:thumbdown: Only At North Texas could we expect to be knudged out of our own media market by a school 8 freakin' hours away from DFW and a school from another freakin' state to boot and that state being, uh......... freakin' LOUISIANA? (Come on Dawg GMG.com posters--give me some red numbers on that one).

Yet have we droppped the ball on this one as we continue to bask in the glory of Apogee Stadium which for all practical purposes is still our present groups greatest acommplishment albeit one that had to happen because of it (basically) keeping us in the college football business in Denton? (By the way, a special thanks to UNT students for passing the referendum which allowed all this to happen in the first place).

Has Interstate Batteries and the UNT alum who runs that company (and others similar with UNT connections) ever been asked to buy advertising time on the MGRN or are we just going to hang in there with the local ice cream shoppe in Denton, ie Beths, whose marketing budget could not possibly be as much? :o (Thanks, Beths, you are still appreciated and you do have great ice cream).

To The UNT Board of Regents: Please do not allow Apogee Stadium to become the NCAA's version of the best double-wide in the trailer park. OOC scheduling beginning with Texas Southern this Fall should be a big hint of that possibly happening early on even as the most novice of all the novice of your group who would be NCAA D1 enthusiasts should readily see.

And yes, Alliance membership will also be nice if we make the cut, but if our school and its athletic program were located in outposts like Natchitoches, LA, or a Lufkin, Texas or Monroe, LA. even our greenest of greenest kool-ade drinkers would know what our chances would really be to get in such a conference based on our athletic program's roller coster ride performance for most of the last 15-20 plus years.

So please....... UNT BOR's............ identify and diffuse potential mine fields now and save us from having to go thru another of whatever you want call what we have experienced the last 15-20 plus years with Mean Green athletics and that includes not having even......... "1"........... UNT Head Football Coach with an above .500 W/L record which very well may have been toward the top of the list of reasons that kept North Texas out of CUSA back in 2004. Seems we have met the enemy once again in good ol' Denton town and we all know who it always seems to be.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1