According to Nick Smith

bono

Tony still plans to stay at UNT and will not enter the 2012 NBA draft.

There have been 2 reports that he has declared. This is not true.

Nick Smith gave me permission to tweet it, email it, etc - so here you go UNT fans.

There was one particular report that was titled "Tony Mitchell declares for NBA draft" but it linked to a tweet, so I called to get the truth on these reports.

• Upvote 2

Tony still plans to stay at UNT and will not enter the 2012 NBA draft.

There have been 2 reports that he has declared. This is not true.

Nick Smith gave me permission to tweet it, email it, etc - so here you go UNT fans.

There was one particular report that was titled "Tony Mitchell declares for NBA draft" but it linked to a tweet, so I called to get the truth on these reports.

Unless he was lifting weights with Tony at the time you talked to him, I can't believe it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Thank you Bono and please send Coach Smith our best. I think the confusion has been due to another player named Tony Mitchell from Alabama who was entering the draft. Nevertheless, your info is much appreciated knowing how close Coach Smith and Tony are.

Well I called to make sure after I read the following article (which is inaccurate as it states that he has declared, yet he quoted a tweet not Tony):

NBA Draft 2012: Tony Mitchell Declares For Draft

Apr

4:08p

by Field Yates

Read More: North Texas Mean Green

The North Texas basketball program has been dealt another blow, as star freshman forward Tony Mitchell has opted to enter the NBA draft, following head coach Johny Jones' decision to take the same position at LSU.

Mitchell led the Mean Green in both scoring and rebounding in his only year at the program, averaging 14.7 points and 10.3 rebounds per game.

He was originally committed to play at the University of Missouri, but was ruled ineligible before ever stepping foot on the court and ended up at North Texas.

Mitchell now joins a deep draft class, but should still find himself safely in the first round.

When it appeared that Mitchell would return for his sophomore season, ESPN's Chad Ford said this about him as a player:

Mitchell is one of the most talented players in the country that very few people know about. Playing at North Texas can do that to you. He was widely expected to declare for the 2012 NBA Draft where he would've been a likely first round pick.

The NBA Draft will be held on Thursday, June 28.

For all the latest news and notes about the local players in the NBA Draft, stay tuned to SB Nation's exclusive storystream.

I don't understand the lifting weights comment?

Day late. We went through this yesterday.

THanks for the info from Nick Smith, though.

Oh, and don't try to post a correction in the comments section of that article. Even if you do it politely, they will delete it and then block your account.

Reporting at it's finest.

Day late. We went through this yesterday.

THanks for the info from Nick Smith, though.

Oh, and don't try to post a correction in the comments section of that article. Even if you do it politely, they will delete it and then block your account.

Reporting at it's finest.

I sent the guy an email.

that is just an absurd headline for an article that quotes a tweet.

how someone can come up with that headline when Tony has not stated anything is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

I sent the guy an email.

that is just an absurd headline for an article that quotes a tweet.

how someone can come up with that headline when Tony has not stated anything is beyond me.

Right.

The "other" Tony Mitchell (from Alabama) supposedly declared for the draft yesterday. This article was probably written as a confusion of the two.

Yesterday Tim McMahon from ESPN Dallas said that he had a source who was "lifting weights with Tony Mitchell" who said that nothing has changed... meaning he'll be back.