What does Johnny want?

rjmunthe

Ultimately, I think his decision comes down to two things, and what is more important?

Does he want to stay here and be the thing that finally pushes UNT over the top? I mean, we have national name recognition now on NBC, CBS; the trendy pick this year in college basketball already, etc etc. If he stays, he could get a way better job than LSU, or continue to coach. He BUILT this team, I think he deserves a big name team next year or a huge paycheck. Not to mention Tony Mitchell, I don't think, would have returned if Johnny seemed too interested in LSU.

Or, he can go back to LSU. A team completely in shambles, mediocre basketball league that has the name recognition, the conference prestige and the cash. Unfortunately, it's another rebuilding project, on a way bigger scale than when he comes to NT.

Honestly, with T-Mitch coming back and the buzz for next year, I think he'd stay. If he was smart and played his cards right, he'd wait for UNT to be huge this upcoming year. I can see sell out basketball games, national recognition, etc etc. Especially once the news over the Alliance comes out. But if he wants to return to LSU, he'll go to LSU now the spot opened up.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ultimately, I think his decision comes down to two things, and what is more important?

Does he want to stay here and be the thing that finally pushes UNT over the top? I mean, we have national name recognition now on NBC, CBS; the trendy pick this year in college basketball already, etc etc. If he stays, he could get a way better job than LSU, or continue to coach. He BUILT this team, I think he deserves a big name team next year or a huge paycheck. Not to mention Tony Mitchell, I don't think, would have returned if Johnny seemed too interested in LSU.

Or, he can go back to LSU. A team completely in shambles, mediocre basketball league that has the name recognition, the conference prestige and the cash. Unfortunately, it's another rebuilding project, on a way bigger scale than when he comes to NT.

Honestly, with T-Mitch coming back and the buzz for next year, I think he'd stay. If he was smart and played his cards right, he'd wait for UNT to be huge this upcoming year. I can see sell out basketball games, national recognition, etc etc. Especially once the news over the Alliance comes out. But if he wants to return to LSU, he'll go to LSU now the spot opened up.

I don't think Jones get an offer, but if he does its goodby Denton.

See, that's the thing. Maybe I'm in denial or delusional, but if Johnny is truly career oriented, a massive season at UNT next year would open up jobs that would crap all over the LSU one.

Like where? Don't mean that in a bad way, but there are not that many jobs better than LSU when you compare it to others. I think of the premium jobs as Kentucky, Duke, Ohio St., North Carolina, Kansas, maybe Florida, Syracuse, a few others. The rest of the teams in the major conferences, including LSU are pretty much equal as for as pay, facilities etc

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

Like where?

Depends. Does he want to go home to LSU, or does he want to move up in the college basketball world? LSU is a massive rebuilding project. A basketball powerhouse opening. He makes us legitimate, he can get a job wherever he wants. Say he fails at LSU, his career is done.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

See, that's the thing. Maybe I'm in denial or delusional, but if Johnny is truly career oriented, a massive season at UNT next year would open up jobs that would crap all over the LSU one.

I think he'd take LSU over UCLA, Kentucky, or Duke. He's FROM there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How am I wrong? The only reason he's a candidate at LSU is because he's from there. If he takes us over the top, EVERYONE notices. It's a business. There's no hometown discount bull in sports anymore.

I'd like the list of jobs that would crap all over LSU. More specifically the ones with the coaching instability that will be looking to hire after next season. That's where you're wrong.

Whoop-de-do. If you're telling me if he got an offer from Kentucky and an offer from LSU and he picks LSU, please, give me some of the crack you're smoking. You forget, this is a business.

Not all people would go home over anywhere else, but I believe he would. It's not like his alma mater is a school outside the power leagues. It is LSU. You can make the Final Four there. He should know, he did as a player and assistant coach!

How about this. Billy Donovan stayed at Florida twice despite being pursued by Kentucky (and both times there were gonna pay him more). Florida isn't even his alma mater and he stayed there over mighty Big Blue Nation. When you're in one of the Big 6 leagues, at a school that has made the Final Four no less, AND it's your alma mater --- I think you'd be inclined to stay. I don't see Fred Hoiberg leaving Iowa State till he either is fired or retires for example.

A massive season next year and he will have his dream job at UNT, have a tremendous recruiting class the next year, be close to home, let his kids keep their established friendships, less pressure, increase in pay because of increase in attendance and be a legend instead of following in someone else's footsteps.

Easy decision, especially when one considers whats going on in the world and that he may not have enough time to rebuild LSU.

Why throw 10 years away? Nobrainer.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

A massive season next year and he will have his dream job at UNT, have a tremendous recruiting class the next year, be close to home, let his kids keep their established friendships, less pressure, increase in pay because of increase in attendance and be a legend instead of following in someone else's footsteps.

Easy decision, especially when one considers whats going on in the world and that he may not have enough time to rebuild LSU.

Why throw 10 years away? Nobrainer.

Precisely.

I'm thinking JJ either has his dream job in Baton Rouge this year until he retires/gets fired, or he has his dream job in Denton, TX until he retires/gets fired. Either way, a huge career decision is in the making for our coach.

• Upvote 2

Whoop-de-do. If you're telling me if he got an offer from Kentucky and an offer from LSU and he picks LSU, please, give me some of the crack you're smoking. You forget, this is a business.

I don't know how clearer anyone on this board can be:

For there to be an offer from Kentucky or some other "better" school than LSU, there has to be an opening. Syracuse, Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, etc. already have coaches, and coaches that they are very content with.

There's no possible combination of records Johnny Jones can get next year, short of a Final Four appearance and one of those schools winning a total of 5 games all year, that will make one of those teams ditch the guy they have and offer Johnny Jones a contract. It's just not happening.

I see Johnny Jones being 1 of 2 places in the next 5 years regardless of his record. North Texas or Louisiana State.

• Upvote 3

i'm from corpus christi(flour bluff) and there is no way in hell i'd go back there to teach...don't care if it's my "alma mater"...denton is my home and has been since i graduated in 2000...my kids and family are here and are happy...

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 2

Don't lie, it's because you have all those outstanding warrants

my only warrant was in romulus, mi...got a ticket coming out of the detroit airport...didn't want to pay it...

other than that...i think i'm clean...

• Upvote 1

1334113935' post='636119']

More fuel to the LSU fire....in one of the threads on their tigerdroppings board, it is mentioned that one of their private jets they use for recruiting purposes has been in Dallas since 6pm. :unsure:

People from Baylor use DFW too...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1