Texas regents call special meeting days after UNT coach’s visit

Harry

I don't blame her at all for wanting to leave after the way this athletic department and our alumni association treated her.

Rick

The only thing I ever heard or personally witnessed was the athletic department bending over backwards to try to accomodate her - because they knew she was a quality coach and didn't want to lose her. If you have something to share I would certainly like to hear what you have to say.

Edited by GreenFlag
  • Upvote 2

If this is true, I feel for sorry for the players. If you were a high school Senior last year and being recruited, you were probably thinking I'll at least get 2 years out of her (if not four). Wow!

Why does the name Todd Graham come to mind?

Oh well, stay hard Karen!

Wow. Good for Coach Aston.

She isn't leaving due to any maltreatment, she is leaving because UT offered her a job. I got news for everyone. If UT offered JJ, Mac, Hedlund, or any other head coach of ANY sport at North Texas a job, they would be gone in an instant. Ain't saying it's right, it just is.

There is a heirarchy in college sports, and UT, like it or not (I damn sure don't) is 2 rungs above us.

UT doesn't even interview another candidate? That must have been one hell of a binder that Coach Aston took to that interview.

Everyone should enjoy the slight splash of publicity that UNT gets from this. The AD should sell the hell out of Aston's move up when hiring the next women's coach.

Edited by UNT90

Wow. Good for Coach Aston.

She isn't leaving due to any maltreatment, she is leaving because UT offered her a job. I got news for everyone. If UT offered JJ, Mac, Hedlund, or any other head coach of ANY sport at North Texas a job, they would be gone in an instant. Ain't saying it's right, it just is.

There is a heirarchy in college sports, and UT, like it or not (I damn sure don't) is 2 rungs above us.

UT doesn't even interview another candidate? That must have been one hell of a binder that Coach Aston took to that interview.

Everyone should enjoy the slight splash of publicity that UNT gets from this. The AD should sell the hell out of Aston's move up when hiring the next women's coach.

She's getting only a $1 million raise? That actually seems low for the Texas job . I feel bad for you guys, but Karen deserves to be hired there. The "lack of fan support" argument is very familiar to me. After our WNIT win against Florida, who is coached by a former 49er coach, Karen said during her post game interview that "now, maybe the local paper will write about us". (There was an article about Florida coach Butler the day of the game) BTW, I don't think Angela Ortega is cut out to be a head coach and she most likely will get a chance to go with Karen. How far from Benton, Ark is Austin? Did Karen's parents actually come to games in Denton? Good luck in your search.

I started thinking about the last time we had a coach hired away by a program like Texas. I had to go back all the way to Hayden Fry. Fry's hire really doesn't compare, as Iowa is far from the marque program of the Big 10.

Then I started thinking about the last time ANYONE hired away one of our head coaches. I think that would be the guy that went to Tech after 1 year. That was immediately after Fry.

So, it has been OVER 30 YEARS since UNT has had ANY other university hire away one of our head coaches for the same position at their school. 30 YEARS.

Every other coach has eventually been fired or retired. For 30 YEARS.*

No one should be upset. We should be celebrating a major step for this program.

* - This is off the top of my head. Corrections encouraged.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

I started thinking out the last time we had a coach hired away by a program like Texas. I had to go back all the way to Hayden Fry. Fry's hire really doesn't compare, as Iowa is far from the marque program of the Big 10.

Then I started thinking about the last rime ANYONE hired away one of our head coaches. I think that would be the guy that went to Tech after 1 year. That was immediately after Fry.

So, it has been OVER 30 YEARS since UNT has had ANY other university hire away one of our head coaches for the same position at their school. 30 YEARS.

No one should be upset. We should be celebrating a m ajor step for this program.

Great points.

are you sure about that? i would be really susprised if they didn't go thru Rick to interview her.

Going by what Vito said. He asked RV on Thursday if they had asked permission & he said no. That was the same day she was already in Austin interviewing

You think UT is really going to do they right thing if they are dealing with UNT ?

I started thinking about the last time we had a coach hired away by a program like Texas. I had to go back all the way to Hayden Fry. Fry's hire really doesn't compare, as Iowa is far from the marque program of the Big 10.

Then I started thinking about the last time ANYONE hired away one of our head coaches. I think that would be the guy that went to Tech after 1 year. That was immediately after Fry.

No one should be upset. We should be celebrating a major step for this program.

I think you are correct, using 30 years but NT has had a couple of one season basketball wonders. Harry Miller was at NT one year before hired at Wichita State and Cherri Rapp I believe was only at NT one year before being hired by A&M. Hayden Fry and Jerry Moore are the only two football HC's hired away. I still wonder about that Moore hiring, he took a 10-1 Fry coached team with almost everyone back and made them mediocre and never had a good year but was hired by Texas Tech. He apparently found his place at Appalachian State but the only positive thing I ever heard about at NT was that he spend less money than Fry.

Honestly, I'm sure I can count on 2 hands the number of UNT athletic employees who have left Denton the last 30 or so years for jobs with at least the same title or a job upgrade. When you do this enough with your personnel, you begin to have a lights out program instead of this other crap we've seen most of the last 3 plus decades. I am happy for her and for North Texas that someone is paying attention to what we're doing; especially our state's flagship school.

Yet look at how many HFC's Boise State lost over a period of 10 or so years but how they still kept their fires a-burnin' and those bowls becoming annual events for the Broncos.

There is some good in losing talented people, but our leaders have to be able to replace them with equal or better talents.

GMG!

I don't blame her at all for wanting to leave after the way this athletic department and our alumni association treated her.

Rick

Personally, I am getting tired of the innuendo crap you throw out from time-to-time about how supposedly the UNT women's coach has been wronged by the athletic administration and/or the alumni association.

Come on, MAN UP and say what you have to say - or just simply drop it and find another crusade - of which you seem to have many.

Rick, your crap about this issue is getting old - especially if you are going to continue to hide behind veiled references.

Show your hand - tell us with specifics to which you are referring.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Personally, I am getting tired of the innuendo crap you throw out from time-to-time about how supposedly the UNT women's coach has been wronged by the athletic administration and/or the alumni association.

Come on, MAN UP and say what you have to say - or just simply drop it and find another crusade - of which you seem to have many.

Rick, your crap about this issue is getting old - especially if you are going to continue to hide behind veiled references.

Show your hand - tell us with specifics to which you are referring.

one of the instances

Going by what Vito said. He asked RV on Thursday if they had asked permission & he said no. That was the same day she was already in Austin interviewing

You think UT is really going to do they right thing if they are dealing with UNT ?

i guess i am dumb enough to think so. shame on me.

• Upvote 1

She's getting only a $1 million raise? That actually seems low for the Texas job . I feel bad for you guys, but Karen deserves to be hired there. The "lack of fan support" argument is very familiar to me. After our WNIT win against Florida, who is coached by a former 49er coach, Karen said during her post game interview that "now, maybe the local paper will write about us". (There was an article about Florida coach Butler the day of the game) BTW, I don't think Angela Ortega is cut out to be a head coach and she most likely will get a chance to go with Karen. How far from Benton, Ark is Austin? Did Karen's parents actually come to games in Denton? Good luck in your search.

I have heard that Coach Karen's parents came to some of the home games. As far as distance from Benton, I would guess Austin is about 8 hours.

• Upvote 1