Preseason NIT

NT03

is getting an invite more idicative of our teams' ability/talent/excitement or is it the university pushing to be included?

Probably a bit of both. Plus there are also "fodder" type schools that are included for the big boys to beat up on in the early rounds. If I recall usually there are 16 teams included...with four bigger name schools getting to be a host site (and assumed a trip to NYC). There's usually one pretty strong mid major type school and two that aren't considered as potentially dangerous per host site.

I hope that we're thought of as the dangerous middie, but I don't honestly care. Time to surprise the Wildcats.

• Upvote 2

Once again, I put blame for this squarely upon Rick's shoulders and think Johnny should be fired immediately.

Greatness...yep, Johnny and RV just sit around and do nothing for this program and University....too funny. It's amazing how some folks just think whatever good happens has nothing to do with RV and Company while all the so-called bad sits right on his desk. Watch...there will be some claiming that neither RV or JJ had anything...anything...to do with this great news for UNT and the BB program.

This is really good news for UNT...and just one of several pieces of really good news flowing out of UNT and the Athletic Dept. lately...WOW...Thanks, really great to see this news!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Greatness...yep, Johnny and RV just sit around and do nothing for this program and University....too funny. It's amazing how some folks just think whatever good happens has nothing to do with RV and Company while all the so-called bad sits right on his desk. Watch...there will be some claiming that neither RV or JJ had anything...anything...to do with this great news for UNT and the BB program.

This is really good news for UNT...and just one of several pieces of really good news flowing out of UNT and the Athletic Dept. lately...WOW...Thanks, really great to see this news!

I don't think you can give credit to slacker RV and mediocre-at-best coach JJ for this brilliant move.

Obviously Karen Aston pulled some strings to get us in this tourney.

• Upvote 7

Probably a bit of both. Plus there are also "fodder" type schools that are included for the big boys to beat up on in the early rounds. If I recall usually there are 16 teams included...with four bigger name schools getting to be a host site (and assumed a trip to NYC). There's usually one pretty strong mid major type school and two that aren't considered as potentially dangerous per host site.

I hope that we're thought of as the dangerous middie, but I don't honestly care. Time to surprise the Wildcats.

I think each conference is limited to having one team compete in NIT and schools from that conference are only allowed to attend the NIT once every 4 years. There are usually 4 teams from the power conferences. They usually have another 2 or 3 really good mid-major programs. It's rare, but sometimes the programs from the power conferences don't make it through to NYC (usually top 4 teams are good and get games at home so upsets are rare). VCU made it in 2010.

I doubt UNT is considered to be power mid-major since we are playing KSU (unless taking 5 from power conferences - usually MVC type teams get home game in first round and then forced to travel to Big 12 type teams). However, I think there is a really good chance this game will be on ESPN. Plus, this is a seeded tournament so upset KSU and then the next game is very winnable.

Great exposure for program and very excited to play in this tournament.

• Upvote 1