Is this racist or not ?

Outwardly racist? I doubt it. A result of profiling? Yes.

Martin was profiled for being black in a predominantly white neighborhood. He's gonna stick out like a sore thumb, and he's walking around at night. The shooter's instinct to watch him because he's an odd thing in that area was entirely alright.

But Zimmerman's actions after being told by police to just follow Martin, stay in the car, and not confront him were anything but acceptable.

TLDR; Zimmerman's screwed. Not only did he do exactly what he was told not to, he ended up shooting Martin, and shooting Martin because he was getting the crap beat out of him (according to witnesses). It also doesn't help that he had a (dismissed) charge for another violent act in his past. And Martin? Probably killed as a result of Walking While Black.

Edited by meangreendork

The details are sketchy as to why, but for some reason Mr. Zimmerman decided earlier that Trayvon was walking suspiciously. I’m not sure what that means but I’m sure it has more to do with the tone of his skin than the movement of his feet.

I find Mr. Zimmerman's actions, as well as the nonaction by the police department, to be horrible. I also disagree with the quote above. The writer is interjecting his opinion into this article while he has no basis, at this time, of fact. I feel the comment is probably 100% true, but this is where I now despise current day journalism. They can't just report the news, they have to interject spin or opinion.

• Upvote 1

First, as usual, this story is going to be spinned in one way, and it is painfully obvious to anyone with an IQ of, 5.

As to the totality of the circumstances, we do not know. Probably, the lack of training on the neighborhood watch member's part led to the confrontation. I'm not going to comment on what will or won't happen to him. He still may get charged. If Florida is like Texas, just because you HAVE evidence to make an arrest doesn't mean you make the arrest just yet. They could be waiting to weigh all of the facts, they could be trying to build a more solid case, they could be waiting to secure a warrant. There is simply not enough information in the story. It is merely to stir up emotions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Having an aricle that isn't so obviously slanted to one perspective would surely help to answer your question.

Better question: Is this a hate crime?

Scantily covered by the media. Yes, the injuries, thank god, were not severe (aside from future lung and eye problems).

The answer is we don't know until details of the police investigation are released.

On either case.

• Upvote 1

it is positively not racist how do I know this

http://news.bostonhe...uth#articleFull

George Zimmerman is Latino :lol: :lol: :lol:

so much for that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latino's are not racist against people just because they are a minority. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: That is the stupidist thing I've hear since your last post.:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 3

Well, lets see. The police completed their investigation and say there is no evidence to arrest, which pretty much says they believe it was self defense. They have offerred to allow complete access to the investigation to the Florida AG's office, and the U.S. AG's office (BIG mistake). A witness, who has been doing and saying whatever she needed to do or say to get on TV avoids meeting with police and finally gives a pre-written statement that lines up with what Zimmerman told the police (sounds like she consulted her attorney, who explained the consequences of lying).

If you want to believe conspiracy theories, have at it, but I promise you, if there was any reason to arrest Zimmerman, he would have been arrested. Don't think the police department isn't aware of the political consequences of not making the arrest.

But, "Power to the People" or whatever 60's slogan y'all what to throw on top of this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

He might be clear to not be arrested at the time of the incident, but there's still the whole thing about how he got out of his vehicle and confronted the suspect, despite being told not to do so. I'm thinking he was a little overzealous, and based on other things I've read about his methods, it sounds right.

I don't think it's racially motivated. Yes, minorities can be racist against other minorities, but that's not the case here.

• Upvote 1

Racist or not which in my opinion this isn't a case of racism but this man should be arrested and go to jail in my opinion.

Wow.

Because you have all the facts, right?

Or maybe facts don't matter?

I hope you never find yourself in any situation where you are prejudged (the root word for prejudiced, by the way) like you are prejudging this guy.

He wasn't arrested because the police believe probable cause does not exist. Probable Cause. Not proof beyond a reasonable doubt, but probable cause.

Could it be that the way the story has been reported is completely wrong?

Yep

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

He might be clear to not be arrested at the time of the incident, but there's still the whole thing about how he got out of his vehicle and confronted the suspect, despite being told not to do so. I'm thinking he was a little overzealous, and based on other things I've read about his methods, it sounds right.

I don't think it's racially motivated. Yes, minorities can be racist against other minorities, but that's not the case here.

It's not illegal to get out of your vehicle and talk to whoever you want, whether the police tell you to or not. The kid could have walked away. Instead he chose to physically confront the guy.

And we dont know whether Zimmerman got out of his car because the kid was at the window or not.

This whole thing reminds me of the Duke Lacrosse team. Lets hope people don't play politics and ruin lives with this incident like they did with that one.

While in Hot Springs, I was waiting for a cab behind Lucky's when 2 bikers came out the door, followed shortly by a Troy basketball player, who was yelling at the bikers, who turned around and took a couple of steps back toward the Troy ballplayer, at which time the Troy ball player turned his left side away from the bikers, reached into his pocket, pushed his pocket out, and yelled "I got something for you, come on!!", clearly attempting to indictate he had a gun in his pocket, which he clearly didn't (easily seen from my vantage point, not able to be seen from the biker's vantage point). I told the bikers to walk away, all that was in his pocket was his finger and told him to take his young ass inside, which he did.

The thing is, if the bikers had pulled a gun and shot him dead before I said anything, they would have had a really good self defense claim. And the Troy player wasn't on top of the bikers beating the snot out of them.

Moral of the story? It is seldom as cut and dried as the media presents.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It's not illegal to get out of your vehicle and talk to whoever you want, whether the police tell you to or not. The kid could have walked away. Instead he chose to physically confront the guy.

And we dont know whether Zimmerman got out of his car because the kid was at the window or not.

This whole thing reminds me of the Duke Lacrosse team. Lets hope people don't play politics and ruin lives with this incident like they did with that one.

While in Hot Springs, I was waiting for a cab behind Lucky's when 2 bikers came out the door, followed shortly by a Troy basketball player, who was yelling at the bikers, who turned around and took a couple of steps back toward the Troy ballplayer, at which time the Troy ball player turned his left side away from the bikers, reached into his pocket, pushed his pocket out, and yelled "I got something for you, come on!!", clearly attempting to indictate he had a gun in his pocket, which he clearly didn't (easily seen from my vantage point, not able to be seen from the biker's vantage point). I told the bikers to walk away, all that was in his pocket was his finger and told him to take his young ass inside, which he did.

The thing is, if the bikers had pulled a gun and shot him dead before I said anything, they would have had a really good self defense claim. And the Troy player wasn't on top of the bikers beating the snot out of them.

Moral of the story? It is seldom as cut and dried as the media presents.

watch-out-guys-we-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is pretty new - it's from the 911 tapes:

“This guy looks like he’s up to no good or on drugs or something,” Mr. Zimmerman told dispatch, in his initial call. “It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.” Mr. Zimmerman continued: “He’s here now just looking at all the houses. Now he’s just staring at me.” Then he added a second later: “He’s coming to check me out. He’s got something in his hands. I don’t know what his deal is. Can you get an officer over here?”

At that point, Trayvon ran, and Mr. Zimmerman continued to follow. The dispatcher told him to wait for the police. A suggestion was made that Mr. Zimmerman and the police should meet by a mailbox. But then Mr. Zimmerman changed his mind. “Actually, could you have him call me and I’ll tell him where I’m at.”

Edited by meangreendork

Wow.

Because you have all the facts, right?

Or maybe facts don't matter?

I hope you never find yourself in any situation where you are prejudged (the root word for prejudiced, by the way) like you are prejudging this guy.

He wasn't arrested because the police believe probable cause does not exist. Probable Cause. Not proof beyond a reasonable doubt, but probable cause.

Could it be that the way the story has been reported is completely wrong?

Yep

Prejudged? So your kid is walking down the street with a bag of skittles only and is shot dead by some worthless security guard and you're just fine with that guy not getting arrested?

And I wouldn't give the police the benefit of the doubt for doing their true diligence so easily either.

At the focal point of a shoot scandal: A mild-mannered neighbor who fixated on crime and focused on young, black males.

[When the homeowners association wanted to start a neighborhood watch, only one man stepped up: George Zimmerman, the 28-year-old who admitted to shooting an unarmed Miami Gardens teenager and who is now the focal point of a race-related scandal of national proportions.

Licensed to carry a firearm and a student of criminal justice, Zimmerman went door-to-door asking residents to be on the lookout, specifically referring to young black men who appeared to be outsiders, and warned that some were caught lurking, neighbors said.

Zimmerman called police 46 times since Jan. 1, 2011 to report disturbances, break-ins, windows left open and other incidents. Nine of those times, he saw someone or something suspicious.

Racist or not, this guy's got issues, and an innocent teen died because of it.

• Upvote 2

Racist or not, this guy's got issues, and an innocent teen died because of it.

I think we can all probably agree with this last statemnet. Shouldn't that one be the last one for this thread?

Prejudged? So your kid is walking down the street with a bag of skittles only and is shot dead by some worthless security guard and you're just fine with that guy not getting arrested?

And I wouldn't give the police the benefit of the doubt for doing their true diligence so easily either.

Again, Wow.

You know this how? Because you were there and saw what happened, right? Or maybe you have access to the obviously corrupt police investigation?

None of us know any of the facts, and to convict a guy without seeing any evidence is the definition of prejudging.

I'm not fine with anything, but I'm smart enough to realize that if the police did a sloppy (not corrupt) investigation, the state will step in. The police department has already invited the state and feds to do so. So much for the corrupt police theory.

Maybe we should just give you a gun and let you execute the guy, right? Because you have all the answers.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

So the tapes come out and it turns out that Zimmerman chased Martin down and shot him in the head while the kid was screaming for help. The whole thing is disgusting.

Again, I listened to every 911 tape. It is not clear AT ALL who is screaming for help. It could hae been Martin screaming, it could have been Zimmerman. And where in the world do you get "Zimmerman chased down Martin and shot him in the head"??? Surely not from those 911 tapes. The witness statements, which none of us have access to, should bear this out. I would assume that if witnesses had seen Zimmerman standing over the poor kid while the kid begged for his life, only to shoot the kid in cold blood, Zimmerman would be in jail. But, what if the witness statements say that Zimmerman was yelling for help when he was in a scuffle with the kid? Really, which one makes more sense: 1) An execution style killing that the police will do nothing about, or 2) Zimmerman fighting with the kid (Not a one of us know who intiated the fight), yelling for help when the kid got the upper hand, and shooting out of fear for his safety or shear panic.

Now, lets review past erroneous posts about some of the "facts" either reported by the media and repeated in this thread. "The dispatcher told him not to get out of the car, but he did anyway and followed the guy." Dispatcher never told him to stay in the car. He was already out when the dispatcher told him to stop following the guy, which he agreed to do, even stating "I don't know where he went."

Any Clairvoyants out there want to tell me what happened from the time Zimmerman hung up the phone until the time he contacted the kid? You know, because that very important piece of information isn't in the 911 call. Did the kid circle back around and jump Zimmerman? Did Zimmerman hunt the kid down and initate the altercation?

Patience, people.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the end, it doesn't matter. The fact that he chased after the kid will keep him from being able to claim self defense.

"These assholes always get away," he says to the operator. Zimmerman is then heard giving directions to the dispatcher. "Shit, he's running," Zimmerman says.

"Are you following him?" the dispatcher asks.

"Yes," Zimmerman responds.

"We don't need you to do that," the dispatcher says.

I honestly find it kind of sickening to defend a guy who killed a kid in "self defense" when the most lethal weapon the kid had on him was a can of sweet tea. Especially when there would have been no altercation if the idiot wasn't chasing him for the crime of walking while black in the first place.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 7