Is this racist or not ?

2) Martin was wearing a black hoodie. I doubt it was that cool in Florida. I can see how to some that would be viewed as suspicious.

Is this racist? I'm just sayin...

The day he was murdered the weather ranged from 52-69. I'll regularly bust out my black North Texas hoodie on days like that. Should I be worried?

• Upvote 4

The day he was murdered the weather ranged from 52-69. I'll regularly bust out my black North Texas hoodie on days like that. Should I be worried?

--Wore my NT one yesterday morning to where I work .. about 55 at the time but about 70 before day was over.. I suppose Belichick is a likely gang member since he wears them also...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

--Wore my NT one yesterday morning to where I work .. about 55 at the time but about 70 before day was over.. I suppose Belichick is a likely gang member since he wears them also...

I guess neither of you read the part of the post where I said TO SOME, I could see how it would look suspicious. To those trained to look for suspicious things, we look also look at, where their hands are, their body posture, are they avoiding eye contact, etc.

• Downvote 3

I guess neither of you read the part of the post where I said TO SOME, I could see how it would look suspicious. To those trained to look for suspicious things, we look also look at, where their hands are, their body posture, are they avoiding eye contact, etc.

Rudy, The KEY word is TRAINED. This was an untrained unofficial citizens watch member, who was instucted by the police dispatch NOT TO FOLLOW the individual. He chose to ignore the police's instructions and that is why the young man is dead. I know stupidity is not a crime, but in this instance it should be.

#trayvonmartin

Rudy, The KEY word is TRAINED. This was an untrained unofficial citizens watch member, who was instucted by the police dispatch NOT TO FOLLOW the individual. He chose to ignore the police's instructions and that is why the young man is dead. I know stupidity is not a crime, but in this instance it should be.

#trayvonmartin

I know what the key word is, I typed the post. :rolleyes:

I professionally dislike citizen patrols/neighborhood watches etc. Once you have one and his wife, both in their 60's and with ZERO police training, sit on an interview panel, and TELL me what my f**king job is as a police officer, you tend to not approve of them.

Like I said earlier, this was a gated community and had no need for a neighborhood watch. If you feel like you need something, hire a private security company to put a uniformed guard in the complex/at the gate. That way noone thinks it is a psycho following you and security professionals are at least trained to observe and report, usually.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

---I worked in a public school 30 years... and on a college campus now....and know a bit about that.. yes we constantly watched for odd behavior.. We were trained to look for trouble. Your comment is ridiculous.. This guy had zero training and was just as thug looking to be "the Man". You seem to be trying to defend him. He even did not do what he was told ... don't follow the kid... and was carrying a gun ... which he was not supposed to do either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

---I worked in a public school 30 years... and on a college campus now....and know a bit about that.. yes we constantly watched for odd behavior.. We were trained to look for trouble. Your comment is ridiculous.. This guy had zero training and was just as thug looking to be "the Man". You seem to be trying to defend him. He even did not do what he was told ... don't follow the kid... and was carrying a gun ... which he was not supposed to do either.

LOL, how is my comment rediculous? I have said more than once, that he had ZERO training. I have also said that I do not like neighborhood watches. I am not defending him. I don't see how it could be taken that I am. All I am saying is that noone on here know the full story.

As for the gun. It is not a law that neighborhood watch members carry a gun.

LOL, how is my comment rediculous? I have said more than once, that he had ZERO training. I have also said that I do not like neighborhood watches. I am not defending him. I don't see how it could be taken that I am. All I am saying is that noone on here know the full story.

As for the gun. It is not a law that neighborhood watch members carry a gun.

---The one you typed while I was typing wasn't ridiculous... but several before then were, maybe not entirely, but a lot was... and they did sound like you were defending him or maybe the police for not arresting him after killing the kid for no reason... if he doesn't follow (and he was told to not do) ... no shooting. Looks as if he wanted to do something to him... and also the police didn't want to arrest him... pitiful investigation by that unit...

---Even police do make mistakes.... I was shot at by one who thought I was a burglar... actually I was an employee while in college and doing my job at 4:30 AM maintaining refrigeration equiptment and other duties at a Swift turkey processing plant [butterball Turkeys] .. Police are not infallible... Under today's rules... he would have been fired. This police dept did not do its job and investigate much.. You get to decide why.

---Legally it might be ok to have a gun.... but reports I read say that in his case he was not supposed to have one. At one time it wasn't illegal for a teacher to have a gun but the administration sure didn't want us to have one in the building.... Although a history teacher whose relative had been a Texas Ranger did bring firearms from the 1800s to "show and tell" at times. I often had one in my pickup.... my family had cattle and it served as a snake gun.

I'll tell you what, just to clarify that I am not defending either party, I will post (against my better judgement) my theory of the events based on my experience.

George Zimmerman, an aspiring police officer probably has watched countless hours of police TV shows in an attempt to gain insight to the job. He majors in criminal justice to help get himself hired. To further this effort, he starts a neighborhood watch as he feels this will give him "experience", and he will have a chance to interact with actual police officers and get to know them and get his "foot in the door". He further obtains his permit to carry a firearm, possibly for protection which he feels he will need, OR because he can't wait to be able to carry a firearm, or both.

He begins patrolling the neighborhood in his spare time. A noble effort in itself, but highly unnecessary. As I have stated, for a gated neighborhood, a more useful act would have been to hire a uniformed security guard. They at least have a little traning, and have a visible presence.

He sees a stranger, walking at night, wearing a hoodie. Trayvon Martin was walking (Ive read stories he was walking to a friend's house and to his father's house, so even that part of the story has inconsistencies), from a convience store. Zimmerman calls 911 to report this person. He believes Martin is suspicious, based on what he has seen on TV. He dials 911 to report Martin, and is told not to follow.

Now comes the grey area. Martin sees Zimmerman. Whether or not he yells at Zimmerman asking why are you following me is debatable. He takes off running, believing that Zimmerman is a threat to his life. Zimmerman sees him take off, and mistakenly thinks Martin has committed a crime. Zimmerman believes it is his duty, which it is not, to chase someone who he thinks may have been comitting burglaries in the area.

Now, possible scenario 1) Martin, being chased, fears for his life, and rightfully so as he has done nothing wrong. He stops and confronts Zimmerman,believing he has to fight for his life. Zimmerman, is now in fear for his life, thinking he is being attacked by a criminal, uses deadly force to save his own life.

Possible scenario 2) Zimmerman loses sight of Martin. Zimmerman is returning to his car. Martin, seeing Zimmerman going bck to his car, thinks that Zimmerman is still looking for him. He attacks Zimmerman thinking that his life is still in danger. Zimmerman still thinking his life is in danger fires in self denfense.

Now, please understand, if some of you can, that I am NOT defending Zimmerman. I am merely saying I see how both parties involved did what they did.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

---The one you typed while I was typing wasn't ridiculous... but several before then were, maybe not entirely, but a lot was... and they did sound like you were defending him or maybe the police for not arresting him after killing the kid for no reason... if he doesn't follow (and he was told to not do) ... no shooting. Looks as if he wanted to do something to him... and also the police didn't want to arrest him... pitiful investigation by that unit...

---Even police do make mistakes.... I was shot at by one who thought I was a burglar... actually I was an employee while in college and doing my job at 4:30 AM maintaining refrigeration equiptment and other duties at a Swift turkey processing plant [butterball Turkeys] .. Police are not infallible... Under today's rules... he would have been fired. This police dept did not do its job and investigate much.. You get to decide why.

---Legally it might be ok to have a gun.... but reports I read say that in his case he was not supposed to have one. At one time it wasn't illegal for a teacher to have a gun but the administration sure didn't want us to have one in the building.... Although a history teacher whose relative had been a Texas Ranger did bring firearms from the 1800s to "show and tell" at times. I often had one in my pickup.... my family had cattle and it served as a snake gun.

I am not going to say that police don't make mistakes. But until I know for certain that they effed up, I am not going to demand the chief step down, or any other bullsh. As I stated earlier, If Florida is like Texas, there is nothing saying that an arrest HAS to be made when there is enough evidence. You can keep the investigation open until you have enough evidence you belive, or the DA believes, will ensure a conviction. OR, you can wait until you secure an arrest warrant. JUST because an arrest hasn't been made, doesn't mean one WON'T be made.

Outwardly racist? I doubt it. A result of profiling? Yes.

Martin was profiled for being black in a predominantly white neighborhood. He's gonna stick out like a sore thumb, and he's walking around at night. The shooter's instinct to watch him because he's an odd thing in that area was entirely alright.

But Zimmerman's actions after being told by police to just follow Martin, stay in the car, and not confront him were anything but acceptable.

TLDR; Zimmerman's screwed. Not only did he do exactly what he was told not to, he ended up shooting Martin, and shooting Martin because he was getting the crap beat out of him (according to witnesses). It also doesn't help that he had a (dismissed) charge for another violent act in his past. And Martin? Probably killed as a result of Walking While Black.

where was sharpton for this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570106,00.html

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am not going to say that police don't make mistakes. But until I know for certain that they effed up, I am not going to demand the chief step down, or any other bullsh. As I stated earlier, If Florida is like Texas, there is nothing saying that an arrest HAS to be made when there is enough evidence. You can keep the investigation open until you have enough evidence you belive, or the DA believes, will ensure a conviction. OR, you can wait until you secure an arrest warrant. JUST because an arrest hasn't been made, doesn't mean one WON'T be made.

--Apparently nothing was being done they had accepted the claim of self defense.. which made very little sense.... until the family and others went beserk.... Several people with info were not asked anything. I don't understand why the police chief felt it necessary to "resign? or whatever he did. Back to the beginning... there was no reason to follow him... I have walked to the end of MY sidewalk and watched strangers in the neighbor walk on through...and wonder why they were there.... [ police, teachers, and some others just know from experience when things don't look exactly right]... but never follow one.. that is asking for something to happen.....[again he had no real training] ...even if he did follow.... why get so close and obvious.... one can see what is going on a block away. You are right.. an arrest may be coming... but likely only because of the efforts of the family and media.

where was sharpton for this:

http://www.foxnews.c...,570106,00.html

What did you want him to do? It appeared as if this 2009 case was being pursued. Sharpton, and many others, are wondering why nothing was being done. I hope that the guy from the case you mentioned was buried under the jail. Just like I hope the Zimmerman case is handled with justice. If he is innocent then so be it. But at least do an investigation.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If he is innocent then so be it. But at least do an investigation.

Some are demanding an arrest and trial in order to get justice. The thing is, if an innocent person is arrested, prosecuted, and found not guilty... it basically ruins their lives financially and socially.

Is that justice?

But seriously, Florida operates on a grand jury system similiar to Texas. This case will be presented directly to the grand jury in a couple of weeks. If they decide to indict, Zimmerman will be arrested.

I'm sure that's just not good enough for some of you guys.

Getting a grand jury to indict is going to be a lot more difficult because the Sanford police didn't properly investigate Zimmerman the night of the shooting. There's no test about whether he was drunk or high and he was never questioned properly, which would have shown whether his story would have withstood scrutiny. His claim that he was walking back to his car and was jumped by Trayvon Martin is contradicted by the girl who was on the phone with Martin when Zimmerman confronted him.

I'm familiar with the area in Sanford where this shooting took place. It's mixed-race, and Sanford itself is 30 percent black and 20 percent Hispanic.

You know what's racist?

Obsessing over race!

The story so far sounds like some wanna-be-a-cop moron took it upon himself to play hero and ended up killing a kid. It should not matter at all the color of skin of the victim or the moron.

The ONLY reason this is a national news story is the race mongering.

The cops and the DA seem to be the only ones getting this right so far. Thank God mob justice doesn't rule.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Getting a grand jury to indict is going to be a lot more difficult because the Sanford police didn't properly investigate Zimmerman the night of the shooting. There's no test about whether he was drunk or high and he was never questioned properly, which would have shown whether his story would have withstood scrutiny. His claim that he was walking back to his car and was jumped by Trayvon Martin is contradicted by the girl who was on the phone with Martin when Zimmerman confronted him.

I'm familiar with the area in Sanford where this shooting took place. It's mixed-race, and Sanford itself is 30 percent black and 20 percent Hispanic.

How do you know they didn't properly investigate? Why in the world would you drug or alcohol test someone that shows no apparent signs of being intoxicated?

How do you explain grass stains on the back of Zimmerman's clothing and and injuries to Zimmerman's face and the back of his head, which could be consistent with being on the ground and being beaten (we don't know, because WE ARE NOT PRIVY TO THE FACTS)? Remember, while following someone may show bad judgement, it isn't illegal. Maybe we should all ignore drunk drivers when we see them on the road way. Don't call police and follow them until police show up, right? Because, who knows, they could run you off the road, confront you with a tire iron, and then you may be forced to shoot them. I guess if that happens, you should go to jail, right?

People follow DWIs all the time until police can get there. Does the above situation happen all the time? Obviously not. Could it happen? Yes. This all comes down to what happened when Maritn and Zimmerman came into contact.

As far as the girlfriend, I would be highly suspicious of anyone who will only talk through defense attorneys and only to the media. What took so long for her to come forward?

And for all you conspiracy theorist out there, the conspiracy just got wider.

Yep, the DA of the county didn't believe there was enough evidence to prosecute Zimmerman. So what do you do? Get a DA who will? Let me ask you out there who are clamoring for your own personal version of justice, what if the special prosecutor says Zimmerman can not be prosecuted under state law? Should we take to the streets and burn some crap down?

I tend to think Zimmerman will be arrested, either as a result of the special prosecutor's investigation or through a federal civil rights investigation (when the Governor calls and tells a lesser politician that they need to re-investigate a case that one DA has already said cannot be prosecuted, the outcome that the governor expects is pretty clear.).

I doubt any state court would convict him at this point.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

As far as the girlfriend, I would be highly suspicious of anyone who will only talk through defense attorneys and only to the media. What took so long for her to come forward?

You're not holding Zimmerman to that standard. What's taking him so long to talk to the media?

Audio of the girlfriend describing the call to Trayvon has been released to the media and she'll testify in court.

That is a very tough sell.. a 145 pound kid on top of a young 200 pound man who wants to be a cop... beating him up and this tough wanta-be cop is yelling help..... I don't buy it. Who is the supposedly witness... his cousin??

• Upvote 1

This is what I asked for. An investigation. If Martin was on top of Zimmerman beating him, then he feared for his life, I can understand the shooting. But this is the first I've seen of this. All I'm wanting is the truth to come out.

• Upvote 1