Louisiana to host Rice in CIT

ADLER

RAGIN' CAJUNS.com

The Owls (17-15) will travel to Louisiana-Lafayette (16-15) for their first-round game

LAFAYETTE, La. -- The Ragin’ Cajuns men’s basketball team will host Rice on Wednesday, March 14 at 7:05 p.m. in the Cajundome in a first round game of the seventh annual Collegeinsider.com Tournament (CIT). Second-year head coach Bob Marlin made the announcement on Friday.

The game will be the first time that UL will play in post-season turnament since the 2002-03 season.

“We are excited about playing in the CIT,” Marlin said. “It will benefit the program any time you get an opportunity to extend your season and play in a postseason tournament. It will be a good learning experience for the team and it will help us to continue to develop the program in the future."

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

so who do we play then in the CIT??

I hope no one. This is a tournament that you have to pay a large sum to participate in. This is a tournament that does nothing for the program, except deplete the budget. It gets NO publicity outside of the markets of the teams who are playing in the tournament. I would bet that you will not find anything more than a box score in the DMN. I would be shocked if any of the scores make ESPN or any of the other sports networks. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer again, but very few people care about the CIT.:notfair:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

so who do we play then in the CIT??

The following 14 schools have already accepted a bid to the 24 team 2012 CIT:

Albany 19–14

Coastal Carolina 19–11

Fairfield 19–14

Georgia State 21–11

Indiana State 17–13

Louisiana–Lafayette 16–15

Manhattan 20–12

Oakland 17–15

Old Dominion 20–13

Rice 17–15

Tennessee State 20–12

Tennessee Tech 19–13

USC Upstate 20–12

Yale 19–9

[edit] Format

• Upvote 1

I hope no one. This is a tournament that you have to pay a large sum to participate in. This is a tournament that does nothing for the program, except deplete the budget. It gets NO publicity outside of the markets of the teams who are playing in the tournament. I would bet that you will not find anything more than a box score in the DMN. I would be shocked if any of the scores make ESPN or any of the other sports networks. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer again, but very few people care about the CIT.:notfair:

You are right that no one really cares about the CIT but you are misinformed about a couple of things. You do not have to pay to play in the CIT. You have to pay if you want to host a game somewhere in 30k-40k range. The visiting team gets all their expenses paid for. If you can profit off of playing a home game it obviously makes sense to pay for one. You get your team more experience which for a young team can obviously be beneficial.

Edited by playoffpush
  • Upvote 1

You are right that no one really cares about the CIT but you are misinformed about a couple of things. You do not have to pay to play in the CIT. You have to pay if you want to host a game somewhere in 30k-40k range. The visiting team gets all their expenses paid for. If you can profit off of playing a home game it obviously makes sense to pay for one. You get your team more experience which for a young team can obviously be beneficial.

I think North Texas is at a point where it would probably break even by hosting these CBI or CIT tournament games and could possibly even profit.

And, if nothing else, the tournaments provide extra practice time and generate a little interest in the program. Does anybody believe that there wouldn't be interest if North Texas was set to host Rice as Louisiana is slated to do?

North Texas has probably been extended invitations to both the CBI and the CIT. The CBI would give North Texas the opportunity to host local Big XII or SEC teams, and that's something that we don't get too often in the regular season.

• Upvote 2

Most of those arguments could be made about the New Orleans Bowl. I don't think anyone on this board would be in favor of turning down an invitation to it because the few benefits to the event out weight the negatives. I believe the same could be said of the CBI and CIT. Especially for a program that has very few postseason appearances.

• Upvote 1

Is there a remote chance we could get an NIT invitation?

Not with this RPI:

Strength of Schedule and RPI

Home Away Neutral SOS SOS Rank RPI RPI Rank

All Division I games (15-14) 8-4 5-8 2-2 0.4637 261 0.4795 199

Conference games (11-8) 5-3 4-4 2-1 0.4565 244 0.4880 188

Non-conference D-I games (4-6) 3-1 1-4 0-1 0.4673 257 0.4505 256

Except the New Orleans Bowl is played on ESPN with no other viewer competition, coverage on Sports Center playing against a name opponent.

True the New Orleans Bowl is on ESPN and is televised nationally. However, the game still draws little interest locally (even when we’re in it). I’m always amazed at the number of college football fans I talk to in the area that still don’t realize that the game exists. During the last several years the New Orleans Bowl has had to go head to head with an NFL game so I’m not sure how good the ratings have been overall. It is always a mid major team that the Sunbelt Champion has to play and that is the kind of team that we would probably have to play in the CBI or CIT.

Despite its faults, it is always a great thing when we go to the New Orleans Bowl and it’s something that greatly benefits our program. I think the same could be said if we went to the CBI or CIT.

True the New Orleans Bowl is on ESPN and is televised nationally. However, the game still draws little interest locally (even when we’re in it). I’m always amazed at the number of college football fans I talk to in the area that still don’t realize that the game exists. During the last several years the New Orleans Bowl has had to go head to head with an NFL game so I’m not sure how good the ratings have been overall. It is always a mid major team that the Sunbelt Champion has to play and that is the kind of team that we would probably have to play in the CBI or CIT.

Despite its faults, it is always a great thing when we go to the New Orleans Bowl and it’s something that greatly benefits our program. I think the same could be said if we went to the CBI or CIT.

Exactly. It's hard for me to imagine that what's good (and affordable) for ULL and Rice isn't good for North Texas.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. It's hard for me to imagine that what's good (and affordable) for ULL and Rice isn't good for North Texas.

One would have to think that any extended playing time, whether it's these little SMU level tournaments or summer international play, would benefit the team. The games really don't count for anything and the extended practice time would give Johnny the chance to try different looks and work on some of the areas that he think the team needs to improve.

• Upvote 1

One would have to think that any extended playing time, whether it's these little SMU level tournaments or summer international play, would benefit the team. The games really don't count for anything and the extended practice time would give Johnny the chance to try different looks and work on some of the areas that he think the team needs to improve.

I would agree with this statement, and I do believe summer international play should be given consideration as well.

SMU did well in the CIT last year. Tells you all you need to know about the quality of this tournament. It did WONDERS for their program this year...they scored 60 once I think.

True, SMU's run in the CIT last year did not translate into immediate success this season. However, there are other examples that we could consider. For instance, Ohio University appeared in the CIT last year, winning one game. This year they made the NCAAs by winning the MAC tournament.

On the other hand, we could look at St. Peter's, which made the NCAA tournament last year as a 14 seed. If one is to judge the effects of their berth by their performance this year, then the big dance did nothing for them. They went 5-26 this season. I don't think this means that we should turn up our noses at the NCAA tournament the next time we have an opportunity to play there.

Edited by Greendylan

The 2012 CIT field:

All Times EST

TUESDAY MARCH 13

Robert Morris (24-10) @ Indiana State (18-14) 7:00

Tennessee State (20-12) @ Mercer (22-11) 7:00

Coastal Carolina (19-11) @ Old Dominion (20-13) 7:00

Tennessee Tech (19-13) @ Georgia State (21-11) 7:00

McNeese State (17-15) @ Toledo (18-16) 7:00

Utah Valley (20-12) @ Weber State (24-6) 9:00

WEDNESDAY MARCH 14

Manhattan (20-12) @ Albany (19-14) 7:00