C-USA MWC Officials Talking Numbers (UNT Mention)

Harry

Still, there is room to grow, and no doubt there are possibilities in the Sun Belt and WAC that could bring something to a new league, especially for a Midwestern school like Tulsa.

"Obviously, we want like-minded schools," Parmley said. "I mean, we want teams that TU, and all of our members, feel comfortable with and that bring similar resources and standards."

It would make sense for the new league to add teams from the Midwest and Southwest regions. That would include schools like North Texas, UTSA, Louisiana Tech and others.

"There's a lot of work to be done," Parmley said. "But I don't think we're going to sit around and see what happens.

Read more: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=203&articleid=20120308_203_B1_MEMPHI84452

Why have we not played UTEP the way we've played other Texas schools (Tech, Houston, Rice ) ? It's about 600 miles away but we've certainly traveled further.

I'd like to get a home-and-home going with the Miners. There's also a cool historic hotel in El Paso I'd like to try out some day.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Why have we not played UTEP the way we've played other Texas schools (Tech, Houston, Rice ) ? It's about 600 miles away but we've certainly traveled further.

I'd like to get a home-and-home going with the Miners. There's also a cool historic hotel in El Paso I'd like to try out some day.

GO MEAN GREEN

Actually we've played far more games with UTEP in our history than Tech, Houston and Rice.

Games vs.

UTEP 21

Houston 13

Tech 8

Rice 3

• Upvote 1

GO MEAN GREEN

I just moved from there. What historic hotel do you speak of? There isn't much to do there as far as the town, it's dirty, and zero night life, however, the game would be good. Football and basketball would be good.

I just moved from there. What historic hotel do you speak of? There isn't much to do there as far as the town, it's dirty, and zero night life, however, the game would be good. Football and basketball would be good.

I'm 99% positive he is referring to the Camino Real.

The rooms are not much to look at now, but there is supposedly a ton of history to the place, and a beautiful venue in the lobby called The Dome Bar.

EDIT

Camino Real Hotel is a national historical landmark

Edited by greenminer

What's the famous hotel in Van Horn? That may be what he's thinking of.

Probably the Camino Real in downtown El Paso. It's cool. The Dome Bar is really nice. The Sun Bowl isn't very far either. If you head to a game out there hit Cattlemen's out in Fabens. Really cool restaurant and ranch for the kiddos. Old Mesilla, near Las Cruces, is fun.

Van Horn just renovated a hotel but I can't remember the name of it. The John Madden Hall of Fame restaurant is in Van Horn as well.

DO NOT GO TO JUAREZ!!! It was fun back before murder became the biggest sport in town. It sucks and they have killed a lot of Americans in the last few years. El Paso is safe though. Not kidding, El Paso is fine. Except the occasional stray round from a gun fight that finds a way over. (Not fiction)

UTEP would be a great team for us to continue owning. I had to say it. I have several good friends and family who went to UTEP. We have a long history playing, while mostly beating them, and it would be great to continue this tradition. It would enable endless trash talking and some fun beer drinking out there.

We'd be outnumbered badly as fans out there. They get rowdy. Hell, one kid got a handy on national television while watching the game for free up on the mountain next to the stadium. (I did not make this up)

Edited by UNTexas

What's the famous hotel in Van Horn? That may be what he's thinking of.

You would be thinking of the "El Capitan", recipient of a recent $2.5 million remodel by the "Hotel Heroes of West Texas", Joe and Lanna Duncan. I have not been there, but have enjoyed stays at a couple of their other projects, the El Paisano in Marfa and the Stone Village in Fort Davis, and I AM CERTAIN that the Duncans have made another great place to stay in Van Horn. My wife and I go out the Davis Mountains area about once every other year, and ALWAYS have at least one meal at their Hotel Limpia dining room when we're out that way (I highly recommend the Rio Grande Chicken). By the way, Lanna Duncan holds a graduate degree from UNT (bachelors from Penn State). Maybe she never read the stuff about UNT being a place for people who "settle" on it. I wish I could post the article I read about her and Joe starting out at the Limpia (his family's business, but still requiring 16 hour days of hard work by the Duncan's). Anyway, here's a little reading:

Hotel heroes of small town Texas.

Edited by eulessismore

Yes the Camino Real. I understand than guests were once able to sit on the roof and watch the Mexican R.evolution with Pancho Villa (?) and his rebels. I'm surprised we've played UTEP as often as we have. I'd still like to play them home and home.

True, people use to watch the revolution from there and other places in El Paso. In pictorial history books they show Americans dressed up in there Sunday clothes to watch the fighting. Right down the street is a building that was temporarily used by Villa and his men. It until recently was the La Hacienda restaurant and had a great bar right on the river. Next door to that is the original Fort Bliss Officers Quarters which are still in good shape and Patton supposedly lived there. Anyway, The Camino Real is a cool place.

Anyway, back to football, we need to go spank the Miners.

My friend who lives there says that basically the good Juarez bars and restaurants have moved into downtown El Paso due to the violence. So it still sounds like a great weekend to be had by all and with a victory that would be even sweeter!

GMG

True, people use to watch the revolution from there and other places in El Paso. In pictorial history books they show Americans dressed up in there Sunday clothes to watch the fighting. Right down the street is a building that was temporarily used by Villa and his men. It until recently was the La Hacienda restaurant and had a great bar right on the river. Next door to that is the original Fort Bliss Officers Quarters which are still in good shape and Patton supposedly lived there. Anyway, The Camino Real is a cool place.

Anyway, back to football, we need to go spank the Miners.

My friend who lives there says that basically the good Juarez bars and restaurants have moved into downtown El Paso due to the violence. So it still sounds like a great weekend to be had by all and with a victory that would be even sweeter!

GMG

It would be a really good game and a really fun game to go to. One thing is for certain. El Paso shows up to support UTEP football. Especially since Price took over as head coach. They may have a losing record most years but they are the biggest show in town.

They would be a great team for us to play hopefully every year. I would travel back to EP everytime we played there if we get them on the schedule. Just be prepared for some trash talking, a hangover (beer from sun up to well after sun down, everywhere) , and heartburn from the good food. (Oh, and a few extra pounds.)

I hope we get them on the schedule. It would be fun.

Edited by UNTexas

It would be a really good game and a really fun game to go to. One thing is for certain. El Paso shows up to support UTEP football. Especially since Price took over as head coach. They may have a losing record most years but they are the biggest show in town.

Who else is competing for their attention, sports-wise, out there? Nobody. They should support the Miners--they got nothing else to take away from their teams. Here in DFW, you battle, Cowboys, Rangers, Mavs, and Stars during the football and basketball season, along with the Big XII/SEC AQ teams that get 95% of the media attention. Out in the West texas town of El Paso, the Miners should be the biggest show in town, unless you enjoy watching Juarez shootouts from across the border.