Temple to the Big East in 2012

Mean Green 93-98

The other potential markets are bowing out and we just keep moving up the list..

The only problem I could see is that ECU and Marshal may pitch a fit about needing more teams for them to have any real benefit for them, but I expect the media partners to override their potential complaints.

Not sure if this helps or hurts the other potential candidates. On one hand it could push for more teams closer to the current heart of the old CUSA, but on the other hand the rest of the members could decide that in the best interest of the conference trying to add more schools to help Marshall and ECU with travel is not in the best interest for all the members of the alliance.

If ECU had it their way, they would add NCCU, UNC-Charlotte,UNC-Greensborro, UNC-Ashville AND Appalachian State then rename it the Tobacco Conference.

I doubt the new alliance will listen to anything ECU has to say. They have wanted out and nobody wants them.

ECU has to now lay in the bed they made.

however,It does hamper not having Temple in the new Alliance, that would of been great company.

Scratch Temple off the list.

You now have the necessity to sign the Dallas and Miami market to keep the Florida and Dallas Footprint.

I also see them signing more than just 18.

If ECU had it their way, they would add NCCU, UNC-Charlotte,UNC-Greensborro, UNC-Ashville AND Appalachian State then rename it the Tobacco Conference.

I doubt the new alliance will listen to anything ECU has to say. They have wanted out and nobody wants them.

ECU has to now lay in the bed they made.

however,It does hamper not having Temple in the new Alliance, that would of been great company.

Scratch Temple off the list.

You now have the necessity to sign the Dallas and Miami market to keep the Florida and Dallas Footprint.

I also see them signing more than just 18.

you are 100% correct on ECU. in short term, Temple moving to Big East[we can only hope] might benefit FAU as well as FIU and MTSU if the pirates have their way.

• Upvote 1

I too think this is good news for UNT. When this round of realignment is over, I don't know if there will be a big difference in the quality of football found in the MW/USA and the Big East. The biggest difference may end up being the quality of basketball and the T.V. contracts of each conference. I think that makes it very important for the alliance to add the largest media markets they can attract. Things are getting interesting.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

I guess I just don't understand how we benefit by taking away the biggest TV market that the conference could have. The Alliance just reduced their potential payout by quite a few bucks.

Now the markets and the pay get smaller. Why would you want to see the conference lose revenue? And prestige? Temple was horrible until about five years ago but now they mean something. Much as we hope to do. But they gave the conference a comer in a big market and now we're happy that Temple is going to the Big East? Please explain.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because Temple's departure increases our chances of being invited.

There was going to be one more invited at any rate because that would have left them at an odd number. Let's just say for the moment that we are the leading candidate. If Temple and North Texas were the first two additions they would have added markets with TV households of more than 5.5 million and population of nearly ten million. That figure cannot be surpassed by whomever is selected; ergo, the possible TV revenue will be less.

You don't build yourself up by eliminating the competition. You build yourself up by competing (and winning) against the best. For now, Temple was one of the best candidates possible and now they're gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1