Wishing for Spring Football to Hurry Up

Voice of Reason

So that at least we can start speculating about positions and if we can watch Spring Practices instead of this Alliance/Merger stuff.

Last year we were speculating about O-Line and D-Line. This year..... DBs and RBs ?????????????

Ozzie/McNulty? The debate Part II.

Can someone step into AK's shoes?

WHO is going to be THE running back?

WR's? Will they be a factor this year?

Will ABBE, Cantly, Alexander or Sir Calvin Wallace take Boutwell's spot on D-Line?

Will the Feldt brothers impact returning starters on the O-Line

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good post, VOR.

And throw Cooper Jones solidly into the mix this time.

Will ABBE, Cantly, Alexander or Sir Calvin Wallace take Boutwell's spot on D-Line?

Assuming Boutwell does his part this offseason, which it look like he is doing, I don't see that being too likely. And we won't get to learn about Sir Calvin this spring, will we?

Last year we were speculating about O-Line and D-Line. This year..... DBs and RBs ?????????????

Worried more about the DBs than RBs. Although a good pass rush from the DL would help offset some of the inexperience we'll see at corner. Offensive line returns enough that I expect the run game to do well.

We just want Ozzie to have a chance to show if what we saw versus Tulsa can be done when I game is on the line. He wasn't given that opportunity last year. McNulty had that opportunity twice and didn't perform well.

Can someone step into AK's shoes?

Yes. McCoy.

WHO is going to be THE running back?

Hoping for a duo of Byrd and Whitfield

WR's? Will they be a factor this year?

They have to be. Chris Bynes and Ivan Delgado both have big bodies. If they can polish their route running, we'll be golden. Looking forward to seeing whether the 6-5 kid, Sampson, has put on any weight; and, more importantly, whether or not he can catch.

Boutwell is smallish for the position in the 21 Century, but he's intense. Each may be bigger than Boutwell, but are they as skillful. I'm just gald to see a bit more depth. Would still like to see more.

Will the Feldt brothers impact returning starters on the O-Line

I'm guessing the older Feldt gets a good shot at replacing Tomlinson at right tackle. Either way, there's good depth. I'm really impressed with the job new line coach Mike Simmonds. It bears in mind to remember that he went from a I-AA school to the NFL. So, needless to say, he understands what it takes to get the job done, even when the odds are stacked against you.

Overall, I like to look at the fact that we were 5-4 after the 0-3 start. The team didn't fold and kept fighting down the stretch. Although Indiana was not a good football team, it was exciting to beat a Big Ten school.

Our schedule in 2012 is going to be about the same as 2011, in that we should be able to go 1-3, and possibly 2-2 out of conference.

A win at LSU would obviously be a miracle. Beating Texas Southern should be a given. Kansas State on the road will be very tough. I don't think Houston on the road will be as tough.

The Cougars lost not Case Keenum, but all four starting WRs - Tyron Carrier, Patrick Edwards, EJ Smith, and Justin Johnson. Basically, they have three OLs and RBs Charles Sims returning on offense; everyone else will be new.

On defense, they return 2 DL and 2 LBs (from a 3-4 scheme). They lost only one safety from the defensive backfield. So, their defense should be about the same as it was last season.

Houston would be win two for us, otherwise, we're 1-3 OOC again. Cougars also have the new head coach, TOny Levine, who was an assistant there for five years. Notably, however, are new offensive and defensive line coaches, as well as new offensive and defensive coordinators, and a new RB and WR coaches. Kevin Sumlin took most of the guts of the staff when he departed.

New Houston coaches

Tony Levine, head coach - was Houston's special teams coordinator and inside WR coach

Mike Nesbitt, OC - was OC at SFA

Jamie Bryant, DC - was inside linebacker coach for Cougars

Lee Hays, OL - was OC at Tarleton State

Ricky Logo, DL - was DL coach at Furman

Travis Bush, RB - was OC at UTSA

Jamie Christian - Inside WR/Special Teams - was Inside WR at Arizona State

Brandon Middleton - Outside WR - Evangel Chrisitan, a 2A high school

I think Houston is a very winnable game. Many new parts. No real coaching all-stars.

We really do have a good opportunity to step up to a seven or eight win season in 2012. That's really only a couple of more wins. I think this coaching staff is good for it. Should be an exciting season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What position do you play? Maybe they would cut you some slack and let you tryout?

problem is, I went to Trinity High school, and didn't want to play. So I have no high school credit. I have extremely good hands to catch a pass, can get hit and still catch passes. would love to play either Tightend, or linebacker. since i probably cant try out, I will start a intense training regime with a friend to get in shape to play tightend/reciever/ or linebacker for senior year. i want to help the MEAN GREEN.

• Upvote 6

Buddy...going from never playing before to D1 is a pipe dream. Sorry, it's just too late.

Lineman Peter Yobo grew up in Ghana. He never played football but wanted to become a Trojan after watching a short television clip in 2005 of USC and Reggie Bush.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/24/sports/la-sp-1124-football-bench-warmers-20111124

Ron’s odds were a long shot; a transfer, red-shirt, walk-on sophomore that had never played football, trying to earn a scholarship at a Pac-10 university! Well, Denny Green had just been named the first black head coach in Pac-10 history; and this trail-blazing coach give a black kid from Germany a chance to play the most American of all sports. And within 3 months, Ron had earned a spot on the team and a full scholarship. This unlikely football player went on to earn Pac-10 Conference honors three times and All-American honors twice

https://www.maestromarket.com/Ronald-George-126

problem is, I went to Trinity High school, and didn't want to play. So I have no high school credit. I have extremely good hands to catch a pass, can get hit and still catch passes. would love to play either Tightend, or linebacker. since i probably cant try out, I will start a intense training regime with a friend to get in shape to play tightend/reciever/ or linebacker for senior year. i want to help the MEAN GREEN.

Do not let anyone except Coach Mac or a member of his staff tell you no...make an appointment and go over and talk to Coach Mac. he is very approachable...you seem to have a passion to help the Mean green, and unless you try...you will never know for sure. Anyone who tells you "no" and is not officially associated with the Mean green football program IS NOT the person that can tell you "yes" or "no". And, reading the qualifications on a website...any website would not be the end of it if it were me. If you want it...go for it...if it is no for this year...at least you get on Coach mac's radar screen for next year...

He might even give you a workout routine and some guidelines to follow in order to prepare for the walk-on...it could well help you determine just had bad you really want to do this.

I appreciate your "want to" and I encourage you to see what can be done...what the heck do you have to loose...right now you are not part of the program....go for it and I'll wish you all the luck in the world.

Go for it, you're only young once!

one of the offensive lineman for the patriots was a college wrestler but hadnt played a down of football in his life. the first day of tryouts he had to get the equipment staff to show him how to put on pads. He made the team and has been with the pats ever since and is still with em now. So you can do what ever you set your heart to. go for it man! GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3

They're only freaking huge if you're freaking small, and if you know anything at all about football, I doubt you would be pushing to be a TE if you're WR/DB/RB size. I wouldn't even think about TE unless you're quite a bit over an in-shape six feet two twenty with excellent hands and speed, because they won't even give you a look without the background. You can be a little smaller as an OLB, but not much if you don't have a boatload of speed and intangibles.

If you've got the basic size/speed/strength qualifications, and you keep yourself in damn good shape, then I say go for it. You'll regret it later on if you don't get up your nerve and give it your best shot before your eligibility is history. There's always A&M Commerce or Sul Ross if you don't fit the D1 mold. Hell, they're known to play 60 year olds out there in Alpine. BOL.

Thanks for the advise and stuff, and yeah i have been hit by actual college level players. when i was in highschool, some starting defensive guys would play at the school no-pad tackle during the weekends. i always took shots by them, it hurt but i lived. i got the size, strength and speed is what im working on this whole year. and i have very nice hands, and used to get hit while catching, had roughly a 95% accuracy of holding the ball when hit. lol

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advise and stuff, and yeah i have been hit by actual college level players. when i was in highschool, some starting defensive guys would play at the school no-pad tackle during the weekends. i always took shots by them, it hurt but i lived. i got the size, strength and speed is what im working on this whole year. and i have very nice hands, and used to get hit while catching, had roughly a 95% accuracy of holding the ball when hit. lol

Dreams don't come true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We have all heard the stories of J Pierre-Paul and such, but those are freak athletes. Honestly if you never played a sport before and you couldn't or didn't have the drive to play in HS, what makes you think you have what it takes in division 1 football. This isn't little league buddy. Not everyone gets a participation ribbon like you did in little league soccer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So don't listen to these guys. Do want you want. Maybe you don't ever play a down, but become a great scout team player that helps the players game-plan opponents each week. That helps the team a hell of a lot too.

... You just helped the team. Whatever happens, you can say you did your best.

Hey, that's a great idea for a movie! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 2