Vito's article on WAC Forum

meangreenbob

Could anyone imagine what the North Texas fan base would do if the administration announced it was aggressively working to get into the new mega-conference ... and it didn't happen?!? I think many people would be jumping off the nearest ledge.

I don't doubt that folks like RV and Lane Rawlins are working for us behind the scenes. RV has not made it a secret that he has wanted to get us into a better conference. Announcing that we're actively leaving the Sun Belt won't win over very many people if a deal to get us into a different conference falls through.

There are reasons why there are NDAs in the business world because if everyone blabbed about every strategic move a company was working towards, your competition would do everything possible to beat you to the punch.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There are reasons why there are NDAs in the business world because if everyone blabbed about every strategic move a company was working towards, your competition would do everything possible to beat you to the punch.

Uh, they already are, and they have for years and years and years and years.

The problem we face is a perception problem nationally. The regular college fan/booster thinks small time consistent loser when they think UNT (again, this is other fans/boosters, not me). I think a public campaign would dispell such rumors and could point toward what has been accomplished facility wise, the amount of alum in the DFW area, and the potential of this program.

So we openly campaign and don't get in. What is the harm? The worst conference in college footbal is mad at us? So be it. Alumni are disappointed? Well, we have quite a tradition of that around these parts.

There is a reason so many people still call us NTSU. It's because we continually fail to do anything about it.

Come on, RV and Dr. Rawlins, help US help YOU.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Could anyone imagine what the North Texas fan base would do if the administration announced it was aggressively working to get into the new mega-conference ... and it didn't happen?!? I think many people would be jumping off the nearest ledge.

I don't doubt that folks like RV and Lane Rawlins are working for us behind the scenes. RV has not made it a secret that he has wanted to get us into a better conference. Announcing that we're actively leaving the Sun Belt won't win over very many people if a deal to get us into a different conference falls through.

If you haven't noticed UNT is not even being mentioned as a possibility whether we are interested or not. Think about it. If the alliance is willing to concede the 5th largest media market to the Big East and Big Ten then they probably are looking at San Antonio.

I hope we are wearing our Big Boy pants and don't get caught looking up the skirt in San Antonio.

• Downvote 3

Uh, they already are, and they have for years and years and years and years.

The problem we face is a perception problem nationally. The regular college fan/booster thinks small time consistent loser when they think UNT (again, this is other fans/boosters, not me). I think a public campaign would dispell such rumors and could point toward what has been accomplished facility wise, the amount of alum in the DFW area, and the potential of this program.

So we openly campaign and don't get in. What is the harm? The worst conference in college footbal is mad at us? So be it. Alumni are disappointed? Well, we have quite a tradition of that around these parts.

There is a reason so many people still call us NTSU. It's because we continually fail to do anything about it.

Come on, RV and Dr. Rawlins, let US help YOU.

The reason they don't openly campaign is because if they don and we don't get in, then the alumni that don't currently contribute continue that trend and some of those that do jump ship. Their is a right way to do this and a wrong way. To keep some knucklehead from pissing in the punch, they've probably chosen to remain quiet and do it the right way. How do you propose we help Dr. Rawlins and RV?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The reason they don't openly campaign is because if they don and we don't get in, then the alumni that don't currently contribute continue that trend and some of those that do jump ship. Their is a right way to do this and a wrong way. To keep some knucklehead from pissing in the punch, they've probably chosen to remain quiet and do it the right way. How do you propose we help Dr. Rawlins and RV?

Well, I seem to recall a guy on gameday with an SMU sign begging for BCS big 6 admittance. Got a lot of press coverage. The meetings are in Dallas today. A whisper to a couple of well placed alums may have gotten some UNT fans down to Dallas with their own signs. EDIT: Signs that may have even appeared on ESPN tonight along with the conference merger announcement.

But that isn't what we do around here.

You are mainly right. Without direction from the AD and President, there is very little we, as Alums and fans, can do. But, with direction and a PR campaign, there is a lot we can help accomplish. We haven't been asked.

I hope this is the right path, because without a change in conferences, this program may die on the vine (think FCS).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

About the only thing that we could have done has passed. Fill Apogee Stadium. The AD staff failed to communicate with the students and had no promotions to boost attendance. We don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Going public, in my opinion, doesn't enhance our chances to move up the ladder and gives a lot of ammo for boards. To me, the way to do it is to do it quietly as Memphis did. Of course, not every school has the CEO and founder of a Fortune 500 company.

We still have a chance even if there will only be 18 members. There are still only 16 members at this point. Supposedly, Temple has been offered #17 but there is not word whether they have accepted. We need to stop being so self-masochistic.

As to Vito's blog I didn't see anything capricious or condescending about his article. Embarrassing needs further explanation.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

About the only thing that we could have done has passed. Fill Apogee Stadium. The AD staff failed to communicate with the students and had no promotions to boost attendance. We don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Going public, in my opinion, doesn't enhance our chances to move up the ladder and gives a lot of ammo for boards. To me, the way to do it is to do it quietly as Memphis did. Of course, not every school has the CEO and founder of a Fortune 500 company.

We still have a chance even if there will only be 18 members. There are still only 16 members at this point. Supposedly, Temple has been offered #17 but there is not word whether they have accepted. We need to stop being so self-masochistic.

As to Vito's blog I didn't see anything capricious or condescending about his article. Embarrassing needs further explanation.

Good grief. If the AD failed to communicate with the it's own students and had no promotions to fill the stadium then what makes you think the AD can convince others outside of the university that UNT deserves to be in the alliance or better conference?

As for Memphis, it was no secret to those paying attention.

• Downvote 4

Not self-masochistic, but not encouraged when there is not one shred of evidence that we are a player in this thing at all.

As far as giving ammo for other fan boards, lets assume for a second that a fan board matters at all. So other fan boards would be talking about our active campaign to join a better conference. No matter what they would say, I don't see any downside to that. It may even offer the opportunity of enlightenment.

The better argument is that it wouldn't matter. Cause it's a fan board.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Not self-masochistic, but not encouraged when there is not one shred of evidence that we are a player in this thing at all.

As far as giving ammo for other fan boards, lets assume for a second that a fan board matters at all. So other fan boards would be talking about our active campaign to join a better conference. No matter what they would say, I don't see any downside to that. It may even offer the opportunity of enlightenment.

The better argument is that it wouldn't matter. Cause it's a fan board.

How many quotes have there been from people supposedly in the know that TV markets will drive this expansion? What markets are open to increase the conference numbers? The largest is #4 Philadelphia. That's why Temple is first to receive an offer. Next is DFW, the #5 market. That would be North Texas. Logically, if Temple accepts they would be the 17th member and we should be offered then as #18. Those combine for about 5.5 million TV homes. If they want to expand beyond 18 then the next largest TV market is the San Francisco Bay area where San Jose State is located. They are the sixth largest market with about 2.5 million homes. The next size market with an FBS team available is Miami, the home of FIU. That market contains about 1.6 million homes. The more possible people served the better the total dollars. Right now the most important facet will be selling advertising. The bigger the potential audience, the more advertising dollars.

When our administration is ready to talk about expansion, they will. Until then, we and other fan boards can speculate all we want and it won't change things. I'm sure that President Rawlins has been working behind the scene for months and nothing that we or others say will add to or take from what he has done. Expansion is not a public opinion poll.

• Upvote 1

How many quotes have there been from people supposedly in the know that TV markets will drive this expansion? What markets are open to increase the conference numbers? The largest is #4 Philadelphia. That's why Temple is first to receive an offer. Next is DFW, the #5 market. That would be North Texas. Logically, if Temple accepts they would be the 17th member and we should be offered then as #18. Those combine for about 5.5 million TV homes. If they want to expand beyond 18 then the next largest TV market is the San Francisco Bay area where San Jose State is located. They are the sixth largest market with about 2.5 million homes. The next size market with an FBS team available is Miami, the home of FIU. That market contains about 1.6 million homes. The more possible people served the better the total dollars. Right now the most important facet will be selling advertising. The bigger the potential audience, the more advertising dollars.

When our administration is ready to talk about expansion, they will. Until then, we and other fan boards can speculate all we want and it won't change things. I'm sure that President Rawlins has been working behind the scene for months and nothing that we or others say will add to or take from what he has done. Expansion is not a public opinion poll.

Yes and no. No conference wants to take a university that is perceived as having a terrible athletic program. That is where we are right now (thank you, Todd Dodge). Temple doesn't need a PR campaign, We do.

As far as it being all about TV market size, then why didn't UNT get a bid to the PAC 14? I mean, we have the DFW market to offer. Surely they want a piece of that, right? Also, why would one person, the UTEP President, throw FIU and Utah St. (now there is a TV market for you) out there as potential new members?

While TV markets are a big factor, they don't mattter if the conference and their big boosters consider UNT unworthy as an addition to the conference (harsher words could have been used here).

Again, we are fighting a terrible public perception. Maybe this approach works, but I think a PR campaign to change that perception would have greatly benefitted this effort.

Edited by UNT90

Good grief. If the AD failed to communicate with the it's own students and had no promotions to fill the stadium then what makes you think the AD can convince others outside of the university that UNT deserves to be in the alliance or better conference?

As for Memphis, it was no secret to those paying attention.

meangreenboob, I will agree to disagree as I think the Memphis To The Big East thing was as much off the radar screen as our own leaders are with us concerning our prospect for CUSA/MWC/Alliance membership. IMO and being a habitual reader of all these boards, the Memphis move was actually very lightly speculated about and was quite a surprise to me, but not to the degree that ECU'ers have posted with their own school's covetousness for Big East membership; yet all those "ECU To The Big East" posts were from their very own frustrated fans/alums who are justifiably pissed that SMU "got their spot." This (among other reaons) is why I have hopes with all of this for North Texas plus the huge geographical and TV market hole we would fill.

IMO, our leaders have not spoken because they know it would or could jeopardize whatever CUSA powers may have planned for us now...or even later. They were probaby told to keep all off the radar screen much like their meeting in Dallas 2 days ago for all practical purpose have been. All in all, the Memphis posters on CUSAbbs posted as if they were in this Alliance thing for the long haul. They did not post "Big East! Big East! Big East" 1/10'th as much as ECU posters have and now lets remind ourselves who is now going Big East--not the Pirates albeit they would be a most deserving school to be in the Big East--much moreso than others.

I think UNT president Lane Rawlins with our AD RV has been working this CUSA thing like Cutter Bill used to work a herd of cows. After all, Dr. Rawlins helped organize CUSA so he knows much about it in its embroyo stages. He has been president at Memphis and Washinton State of which the latter is hardly chopped liver as far as the NCAA college football world is concerned. As our UNT president he has friends in numerous NCAA high places that we have not had in Denton for longer than I can remember; in fact, might he be our first with such a "presidential" backround at 2 FBS school?

In th end and too many times it simply comes down to who you know in deals like this and the same can be said even in scheduling future football opponents. I think RV has more friends in the NCAA than any of us would know, but lets all face a pretty basic fact here that our school and the town of its location has been known to bring people down to our teacher's college past and knock down intitial excitement to a "what the hell can I really do here to make this thing work." attitude. I witnessed one AD and HFC who refused to let what SUMG and I have for decades called "the Denton Malaise" affect him and his goals. He was relentless in the 6 years we were lucky to have him. Only wish he had had Apogee and our enormous UNT constiuency of present day.

But once again, some in the past we've hired with all the initial excitment they brought to the table have hardly seen a similar response that even UTSA received from its city in their first year in football (and that's no matter how many free tickets were disbursed). I think Year 4 for utsa in a stadium almost 20 miles from campus will tell the tale with their football program, especially if Year 4 is their 4'th losing season in a row (which is likely). TSU-SM is probably going to be the school nipping at our heels truth be told.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I'll stick by my no promotions whether you agree or not.

Being the first year of Apogee the AD should've pulled out all stops to see that the stadium was filled for every game. Other than publicity there was little to lure anyone to Opening Day. Even recognitions of past athletes and long-time supporters was lame. The distribution of tickets was not well done throughout the year. There should have been booths/staff throughout the campus promoting game days with tickets for distribution. Homecoming is no promotion. I know of 65 since I've been around and I've been to 60 of them. Most every college has them but the AD does little extra except recognize HOF entrants. I wasn't aware of Parents Weekend so I'll give you that one if anything other than designating the weekend occurred. The free food and the sunglasses were clever enough but too late to be effective. I didn't get any sunglasses by the way. IMO you hit them with everything you've got the first year. Free tickets to students with a purchase by a ticket buyer. Giveaways that are publicized well in advance. Sell...Sell...Sell.

I also disagree with you on the fraternity situation. When you join a fraternity you are told that any act of disrespect by you discredits the fraternity. Fraternities have been kicked off campus because of the acts of a few, taking the innocent along with the guilty. In the military the entire unit suffers from the bad conduct of one of its members. Now, if a fraternity complied with the rules and was kicked off too then that's wrong. That may have happened; I don't know.

UNT90, there have been many admitted into conferences who were not worthy at the time. They may have been worthy in the past but not at the time of admittance. SMU (CUSA), Rice (CUSA), San Jose State (WAC), FAU (SBC), and Baylor (Big 12) are but a few. Over the years North Texas has been better than Temple but Temple has been pretty good since Al Golden came there and continues to be. There can be other needs for the conference besides wins on the field. If that were the only criterion then Louisiana Tech should have been the first invite. Public opinion favor or not, the presidents of the member universities vote the candidates in. They have access to facts and needs and vote accordingly. Now there could be an individual that would vote against us because their alumni did not want us or that we threatened their market...i.e. SMU. However, most are fair and honorable people who are only looking to better the conference. I'd bet that Lane Rawlins knows every one of them.

How many voting universities do you know for a fact that deem us unworthy? I don't know of any. The fact that one of the presidents mentions another university in an off-the-cuff interview is annoying but likely has little or no bearing on his/her vote. Again, what you bring to the table overrides popularity.

• Upvote 1

Always great to read these threads and see how positively some of our own talk about UNT. While bad mouthing UNT, it's leadership and its "perception" on almost a daily basis in this very public forum they call for the University leaders to go public with the negotiations and to be "positive and spread the word". You know..."you guys go public very positively while I sit back here on this public forum and pick apart everything you do because I sure know much better how to do things". Really? Had much experience working in D-1 athletics with public budget constraints, have you? I know drex has and I take what he says with some knowledge that he has "been there/done that"...for many others, well...not so much. And, some wonder still why UNT has the reputation some think it has on a national basis. Wow...just take a look in the mirror and you can see part of the problem and very little of the solution. If one really...I mean really thinks the university is sitting on its collective hands and doing nothing regarding the conference realignment mess, if they think the AD has a meeting every Monday morning and asks his staff and coaches, "OK, how can we screw something up this week" and if one does not think everyone is working toward building a bigger and better UNT then I have to question where the heck they have been over the last few years. I understand that some folks are simply pessimistic by nature and see "bad around every corner", but some of this stuff borders on just plain self-pity and self-flogging. Everyone, including me, has their own ideas about how things "should" be done, what can be done to promote the university and the athletic programs more, knows more than anyone in the athletic department how to run the Mean Green Club (heaven help us that they don't announce the caterer a week before every game...major disaster...how can we actually live through that?), etc., etc., but many of those opinions are only that...opinions based on little, if any, fact or knowledge of how, why what can be done and what the benefit/reward is for doing so.

This forum is, indeed, for opinions and as such, all are welcome...and really, none are probably any better or any worse than any other, but I ask everyone...stop and think about it a little longer before you decide to come on this very public forum and bad mouth YOUR UNIVERSITY and its leadership. If you think sitting behind an Avatar makes you "invisible" to those you are knocking and to the University leadership you are sadly mistaken. There are no secrets here...or in any other "social media" site...if you don't realize that, by now you should...and it doesn't make it any different if you post with a different avatar in a different site...silly you if you think you are anonymous in any way shape or form...or forum for that matter.

Just asking for a little restraint and thoughtful consideration before constantly going public with all you think is wrong with UNT and/or its athletic programs/department/coaches/players.

• Upvote 7

I started this topic out of frustration and yes embarrassment. I know our people are way ahead of the curve but I would love to just hear for once something encouraging about this school and it's athletic programs. Yes, there have been instances over the last 43 years, Mean Joe Green, Fry, The Sun Belt Titles, 4 National Golfing Titles, The Big Dance of couple of times and the new stadium to mention a few. But something just seems to be missing. Does it really take this long? Is it really that difficult?

As for the markets. Remember that San Antonio is wide open. There is ZERO competition. Lets hope that the alliance wants to compete in the Dallas Fort Worth market.

quote name='KRAM1' timestamp='1329235712' post='625702']

Always great to read these threads and see how positively some of our own talk about UNT. While bad mouthing UNT, it's leadership and its "perception" on almost a daily basis in this very public forum they call for the University leaders to go public with the negotiations and to be "positive and spread the word". You know..."you guys go public very positively while I sit back here on this public forum and pick apart everything you do because I sure know much better how to do things". Really? Had much experience working in D-1 athletics with public budget constraints, have you? I know drex has and I take what he says with some knowledge that he has "been there/done that"...for many others, well...not so much. And, some wonder still why UNT has the reputation some think it has on a national basis. Wow...just take a look in the mirror and you can see part of the problem and very little of the solution. If one really...I mean really thinks the university is sitting on its collective hands and doing nothing regarding the conference realignment mess, if they think the AD has a meeting every Monday morning and asks his staff and coaches, "OK, how can we screw something up this week" and if one does not think everyone is working toward building a bigger and better UNT then I have to question where the heck they have been over the last few years. I understand that some folks are simply pessimistic by nature and see "bad around every corner", but some of this stuff borders on just plain self-pity and self-flogging. Everyone, including me, has their own ideas about how things "should" be done, what can be done to promote the university and the athletic programs more, knows more than anyone in the athletic department how to run the Mean Green Club (heaven help us that they don't announce the caterer a week before every game...major disaster...how can we actually live through that?), etc., etc., but many of those opinions are only that...opinions based on little, if any, fact or knowledge of how, why what can be done and what the benefit/reward is for doing so.

This forum is, indeed, for opinions and as such, all are welcome...and really, none are probably any better or any worse than any other, but I ask everyone...stop and think about it a little longer before you decide to come on this very public forum and bad mouth YOUR UNIVERSITY and its leadership. If you think sitting behind an Avatar makes you "invisible" to those you are knocking and to the University leadership you are sadly mistaken. There are no secrets here...or in any other "social media" site...if you don't realize that, by now you should...and it doesn't make it any different if you post with a different avatar in a different site...silly you if you think you are anonymous in any way shape or form...or forum for that matter.

Just asking for a little restraint and thoughtful consideration before constantly going public with all you think is wrong with UNT and/or its athletic programs/department/coaches/players.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Downvote 5

Bad mouthing is one thing...questioning is another. There is absolutely nothing wrong with questioning what the university does especially if you do have a connection to them such as being an alum, donor etc.

And now I've never been an athletic administrator...and I'll probably never will be but based on the decades long history of losing and decisions made by the school administration and athletics department they need to be watched and evaluated even more in my opinion. Folks have every right to question and voice their opinion whether it is good or bad. Believe it or not these topics of discussions do happen at other universities too including the big boys.

For the record, to all of you who gave me a -1. Thank you. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. If it promoted decent conversation, analysis and thought then I wear the -1's as a badge of courage. Thank you...........No comment at this time. Thank you.

See you at the game.

Go Mean Green.

And prayers for Coach and his family.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I started this topic out of frustration and yes embarrassment. I know our people are way ahead of the curve but I would love to just hear for once something encouraging about this school and it's athletic programs. Yes, there have been instances over the last 43 years, Mean Joe Green, Fry, The Sun Belt Titles, 4 National Golfing Titles, The Big Dance of couple of times and the new stadium to mention a few. But something just seems to be missing. Does it really take this long? Is it really that difficult?

As for the markets. Remember that San Antonio is wide open. There is ZERO competition. Lets hope that the alliance wants to compete in the Dallas Fort Worth market.

The progress this athletic department has made in the last decade has been remarkable. We now have the facilities and the funding to compete at this level. We have done so much more right than we have done wrong. We don't have a BS plan to "sell" anymore - we have facilities (not just the App) and $$$ and are lucky enough to have a great market on our side. The difficult part is that we haven't been doing what we currently are doing near long enough. RV has not been perfect but he sure as hell has been the savior of UNT athletics. He has addressed and solved the biggest issue UNT has had - committment from our institution. The great part is we are never going back to the days of doing it on the cheap.

• Upvote 2