What they are saying about UNT's Tony Mitchell

Harry

"Good player, you know, good game," WKU freshman George Fant said. "NBA athlete. He's pretty good."

"Aw man, he's tough," WKU freshman Derrick Gordon said. "I wonder why I hear so much stuff about him - talk about him going to the league after this year. The guy is athletic. He's really good. The dunks that he put, I ain't never seen anybody do that this year. He's gifted."

"Tony Mitchell is a frickin beast. I am enjoying following his budding career." Baylor hoops fan Baylorfans Thread

WKU Coach Ray Harper on plan to stop Tony Mitchell: “I don’t know – you got any ideas? Been calling a lot of people, we’re open to suggestions. He was on the 19-under USA team, he led that team in rebounding and blocked shots. He’s a potential first-round draft pick. I would love to see him – I think he should probably go after this year. He’s definitely that good. We need to mix it up. You’re not just gonna play him straight up, heads up for 40 minutes and think you’re gonna just shut him down. He had a bust-out game a couple games ago when he had 34, made four 3s – I think he had the highest rebound-point total of anyone in the country. In that game he had 34 points and 16 rebounds. That should tell you – he’s a handful.”

Fran Fraschilla: "Watching Chris Jones, Tony Mitchell and North Texas Mean Green take in WKU tonight. Not ten better athletes in country than TM."

Jeremy Lundblad (ESPN) - "On Saturday, Missouri picked up its biggest win of the season down in Waco. Meanwhile, just two hours to the north, a former Tiger recruit had a huge game. Tony Mitchell had 30 points and 17 rebounds in North Texas’ overtime win over Denver. In just 11 career games, he's hit 30 points and 15 boards twice. The last freshman with multiple such games? Michael Beasley, who did it five times in 2007-08."

Louisiana Monroe Head Coach Keith Richard, on postgame radio show: You have to understand this team [North Texas] is very talented. That #13 is a future NBA lottery pick!"

From what i have seen on the few occassions I have watched, Tony is a man among boys in college.

I suspect (and hope) Tony will stay for next season. After next season, I expect him to go to the NBA.

Now we know what Duke and North Carolina and other major programs feel like. Get a good player that stays for a season or two and takes off for the pros.

Can you imagine were Mitchell and NT would be now if Tony had got to play the first semester?

Probably still without our second and third best players....and Ked.....and Patton......But I bet we would have beat Tech, and maybe a couple other teams.

• Upvote 1

I wish we would stop talking about this for now. He will do what he does, but I think the excellent lottery pick potential in 2013 should keep him around for another season of development to his offensive game. At least I really hope that is how it plays out. Going deep into the tourney next year could even see him as the number one pick. Please stay.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I wish we would stop talking about this for now. He will do what he does, but I think the excellent lottery pick potential in 2013 should keep him around for another season of development to his offensive game. At least I really hope that is how it plays out. Going deep into the tourney next year could even see him as the number one pick. Please stay.

Agree. As good as Tony is, I think he needs another year or two to hone his skills. The NBA would eat him alive right now.

• Upvote 1

I agree too. Although nobody that I know of has an infallible crystal ball, another year (or more) here would likely be great for everyone involved. Hope it happens.

• Upvote 1