An argument for the 'Belt

EagleD

A few years ago we turned down an invite to the WAC to stay in the Sunbelt. Seems like a good decision. We didn't get an invite into CUSA. Probably the right move for them.

With the WAC in disarray and CUSA and MWC getting raided it seems like the only stable conference of the four is the Belt. In the last 10 years it seems like most every team in our conference has shown signs of promise at some time or another. Is it possible to try and pick off some of the remaining schools of CUSA and continue to "build the Belt"?

My main argument for this is the same argument I make against changing our logo/color shade every time a new AD or HC rolls into town. We need tradition. We've built a nice little rivalry with MTSU and Ark St. We've had a past with some of the Louisiana schools. WKU may just have something rolling and Troy came into the conference with a bang. If we change conferences again it means creating all new rivalries AGAIN! Plus if we add a few schools from the conference that shunned us we come out looking much better.

All I'm really saying is we should think about continuing to grow our traditions and rivalries rather than starting them over...again.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

The belt hasnt done enough to make people wanna join... They have 2 bowl games, compared to the Mac and Cusa who have around 5 each.. No one wants to be like WKU who won 7 games and #2 in the belt and isnt playing in a bowl game.

Wright needed to retired and bring someone new in who can actually run a conference

• Upvote 2

The belt hasnt done enough to make people wanna join... They have 2 bowl games, compared to the Mac and Cusa who have around 5 each.. No one wants to be like WKU who won 7 games and #2 in the belt and isnt playing in a bowl game.

Wright needed to retired and bring someone new in who can actually run a conference

I agree with this argument and duly note it wouldn't be easy. But the WAC is whack and there is no guarantee CUSA is going to expand. Even if they do they may very well not invite us. The MWC ain't an option. You don't like your surroundings? Improve them.

Edited by EagleD
  • Upvote 1

How can you call MTSU and Ark State a rivalry? Nobody even knows who they are.

I only hate WKU with a passion but, thats about it when it comes to Sun Belt.

Travling to the belt teams arnt fun... Who wants to travel to Monroe, LA... Place smells like a dump

We have no rivalry, but WKU is the only one that would come to my mind just because they are the only other team that seems to beat us

• Downvote 1

And if we are going to "Build the Belt" it needs to be done without grabbing FCS schools. Kill the WAC, invite LA Tech, Utah State, and New Mexico State.

Divide into East and West and hold a championship game.

I actually disagree with this. I think we should invite La Tech and either UTSA/Texas State. We only need two since USA will be joining the conference soon. Adding an FCS school is worth it if it can for the first time ever give us the chance at a true rival in the state of Texas.

And if we are going to "Build the Belt" it needs to be done without grabbing FCS schools. Kill the WAC, invite LA Tech, Utah State, and New Mexico State.

Divide into East and West and hold a championship game.

If Utah State would agree to it I would take them and La Tech, but if they didn't, give me TXST or UTSA over NMSU. The Aggies are the armpit of division one football. Even though TXST and UTSA are FCS projects, at least they have some excitement around them and hope at becoming competitive. NMSU will always be a bottom feeder and no one wants to make that trip, but everyone would go to SA and San Marcus.

Bingo !

I'd be all for bringing in La Tech and dropping Monroe

And if anyone thinks the UTSA home attendance is indicative of how well they would travel, look at the attendance when they went on the road against Sam Houston (6,889).

Even if they brought 10 fans to Apogee , that's about 8 more than any other school in the Belt

Valid arguments. But here's my analogy. My brother in law bitches about his neighbotlrhood being crappy, yet he's got the worst house on the block. When asked what he's done to improve the neighborhood he has no response. We've recently improved our neighborhood and suddenly our shit doesn't stink?

I love the memories we have from the Belt. I love the idea of one day going on a road trip to LaLa, and getting to Hot Springs one year for the basketball tourney.

I thought it was a head scratcher that one can live through our title run and not love to hate MTSU and NMSU. Those were good times.

But, the Belt is at the bottom of the media totem poll. Until we hop up to CUSA, MWC or whatever we have to consider TV appearances lucky, IMO too few and far in between.

I love the memories we have from the Belt. I love the idea of one day going on a road trip to LaLa, and getting to Hot Springs one year for the basketball tourney.

I thought it was a head scratcher that one can live through our title run and not love to hate MTSU and NMSU. Those were good times.

But, the Belt is at the bottom of the media totem poll. Until we hop up to CUSA, MWC or whatever we have to consider TV appearances lucky, IMO too few and far in between.

This is the one argument I have no problem with.

I would like to move to CUSA for more regional rivalries and MWC for better name programs. However, I do not hate on the Sun Belt or even our days in the BW. Some of the most memorable games in my Mean Green memory were games against NMSU, MTSU, Idaho, Arkie State and Utah State. Heck I have great memories of our Southland days with battles against NLU, McNeese, SWT and Abilene Christian. We do have a rich history in Denton and much like Boise we should celebrate all of our stops along the way. I saw an excerpt on the Mountain about Boise and they did this chronological excerpt about their days playing D1AA football, playing in the Big West, their rise in the WAC and now to the Mountain West. I would love that story to be told about the Mean Green because I could feel the pride in the Bronco nation after that piece. We have a lot of tradition and history to celebrate as a fan of the Mean Green nation!

GMG

P.S. - wherever we live I won't bash it, but will work to build it. I also won't bash the Belt if we get a chance to leave. GMG! How much fun was that win over SHSU last night!

I've been to Manhattan KS at least 6 times in the last 3 years. It sucks. Even the stadium. There are shower curtains in the stalls masquerading as doors. Lawrence is OK. Ames Iowa even (I'm stretching) but again to my point, it's not a party destination Fans follow their team. If your gonna bitch about fans coming to Denton you must first look at the crowds we bring to opponents.

I actually had a blast in Manhattan, KS a few years ago when NT played up there...It's a hell of a lot better than Monroe, LA.

I went to that game, too. Had a blast crashing with frat bro strangers, playing beer pong and parking our green rear ends in the parking lot's sea of purple.

Can't speak for the city, though. But I did see a 90 year old woman riding a lawn mower in mid-day, and an adult video store sharing a parking lot with a small Baptist church.

How can you call MTSU and Ark State a rivalry? Nobody even knows who they are.

I only hate WKU with a passion but, thats about it when it comes to Sun Belt.

We had a pretty good rivalry with Middle Tennessee brewing for a couple of years. You can blame the decline of it on the two schools not capitalizing and promoting it.