June Jones leaves SMU

Dr. Seuss

According to Followill and Joe Schad now the deal isnt done anymore, they pulled the offer

http://espn.go.com/c...nes-sources-say

So June had accepted the deal, and Ariz. State pulled it while "minor contract points" were being ironed out?

1. So does June sue?

2. Did Ariz. State get an opportunity to take a prettier girl to the dance?

3. Assuming June goes back to coaching at SMU, how does this all affect that dynamic?

So June had accepted the deal, and Ariz. State pulled it while "minor contract points" were being ironed out?

1. So does June sue?

2. Did Ariz. State get an opportunity to take a prettier girl to the dance?

3. Assuming June goes back to coaching at SMU, how does this all affect that dynamic?

According to ESPN, it was big money donors and social media didnt want him... I dont know what SMU is going to do now

If SMU tries to just pretend nothing happened they are going to have some very angry alumni. But what can they do?

It is VERY awkward.

Do the same this ASU did.. Get big money donors to pull their donations and have their messages boards go ballistic on bringing him back..

Edited by Dr. Seuss

I forgot about UCLA....but I think with their nationwide search and the type of money they'll be dishing out for a coach I think they'll have their sights higher than June Jones...at least in the beginning.

What makes you think they'll be dishing out big bucks for a coach? . . . They haven't been.

• Upvote 1

What makes you think they'll be dishing out big bucks for a coach? . . . They haven't been.

Their AD was saying last week that with the new Pac 12 TV deal they're getting like 2 or 3 times that they are receiving right now and that they're willing to pay about 3 million or so a season for the next head coach. Now will they do that remains to be seen but I think they really want to get back to some good football at UCLA.

From an SMU fan, what would you want... Welcome him back with open arms, promote Klemm or get another coach

That's the thing, it's very complicated. At this point though, if I was given the responsibility to sort this out I would welcome June back for one last year (last year in CUSA). I'll get him to bring in the amazing 2012 recruiting class he has under his belt. Meanwhile I'll be hunting for a big name coach, someone like Major Applewhite or even Jim Tressel (go big or go home/become a bottom dweller in the Big East right off the bat). I'll also be talking with Klemm and let him now that I'm committed to him and would promote him to OC next year (since June doesn't really have an OC). That way Klemm can actually get some good coaching experience in him and could perhaps later be promoted to HC in some years in case he turns out to be a great coordinator.

• Upvote 1

It would be ironic if they hired Todd Dodge.

The theme this off season is "PONY PANIC."

Especially if he hires a lot of his old high school staff as assistants....especially on defense

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I am no SMU fan, but I would tell June, "You turned your back on us, so lie in the bed you made. See ya!"

He's not doing anything different any of us would have done. This is the reality of what the world is now...it's not a bad thing but I think SMU was delusional to think June Jones would have stayed there without ever considering or pursuing other opportunities. It's the nature of business. We wouldn't act any different ourselves.

That's what BC did a few years back to their coach in a similar situation.

With that coach: 20-8, #2 ranking, 2 Big East championship appearances in 2 years.

Since firing him: 19-19 overall, 3 seasons without going over 8 wins. Fresh off a 4-8 season.

I hope Boston College's face feels really, really spited.

With that coach: 20-8, #2 ranking, 2 Big East championship appearances in 2 years.

Since firing him: 19-19 overall, 3 seasons without going over 8 wins. Fresh off a 4-8 season.

I hope Boston College's face feels really, really spited.

Big East, huh? It actually makes more sense.

But yeah, the lament of the BC fans (yes, they exist) is pretty funny. The fan base decided he had gone as far as they could and they really didn't need him anyway, so the firing just sort of worked itself out with the weird hardline stance about the Jets interview.

Also, and these stats are unofficial conjecture from a BC grad, but they've had like 15 QBs get maimed, arrested or decide to transfer since the coaching change. Where have you gone, Tim Matt Hasselbeck Ryan?

• Upvote 2

Big East, huh? It actually makes more sense.

But yeah, the lament of the BC fans (yes, they exist) is pretty funny. The fan base decided he had gone as far as they could and they really didn't need him anyway, so the firing just sort of worked itself out with the weird hardline stance about the Jets interview.

Also, and these stats are unofficial conjecture from a BC grad, but they've had like 15 QBs get maimed, arrested or decide to transfer since the coaching change. Where have you gone, Tim Matt Hasselbeck Ryan?

Back in my day, they played in the Big East. Before Luther Campbell ruined college football with his musical influence.

But techincally, yes... I should have said ACC. Damnit.

He's not doing anything different any of us would have done. This is the reality of what the world is now...it's not a bad thing but I think SMU was delusional to think June Jones would have stayed there without ever considering or pursuing other opportunities. It's the nature of business. We wouldn't act any different ourselves.

Maybe you, but not me. You don't do what he did publicly. If I had an employee state in the public/media that they were accepting a job with someone else, I would consider that employee terminated from employment by resignation at that time. He should not be allowed to just waltz back to SMU, and SMU should not be forced to pay out his contract should they decide to fire him over this. He abandoned his job to pursue other employment. Sorry, but I think it is a bad thing when a person is only loyal to themselves. That is largely what is wrong with the world today.

• Upvote 2