June Jones leaves SMU

Dr. Seuss

http://espn.go.com/c...ils-sources-say

Mark Followill also mentioned something on twitter about it, but i didnt know it was finalized

Chuck Cooperstein hadd a good tweet "June Jones did at SMU what he was hired to do at Hawaii, take a bad team and make it respectable. ASU is respectable. Can he make them great"

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Arizona State is a pretty high profile gig. He was getting 2 million a season at SMU so I imagine his pay at Arizona State will be at least 3 million. That said it is in the Pac 12, high profile job and they're a really respected athletics school. I think Jones will do well in Tempe.

SMU will be fine because as long as they maintain a really nice salary for the HC positions they'll get a lot of great coaches that will be interested in coming.

This is an important tipping point for Smoo. Jones took them from being a joke to a very respectable program and an AQ conference. This next hire is extremely important in that they can go the way of TCU and be a 10 to 11 game winner every year or they could go back to the Phil Bennett days and fade into oblivion at the bottom of the Big East. No doubt they have the money to spend on a coach. They just have to make the right decision. There are plenty of names out there(Sherman, Erickson, Applewhite, Stoops). This could also benefit UNT in that recruits might now back on the table:

DB Horace Richardson(interest) 3 star

LB Lincoln Richard(offer) 3 star

LB Damien Neroes(offer) 3 star

DE Elie Nabushoshi(interest) 2 star

why wouldn't they go after Coach Mac?

I don't think they or any of their boosters will get excited about snagging the HC from UNT who just 5-7 in the Sunbelt. Plus I think they'll look at Mac's overall record and pass. I think they'll go after a coach that has some 'pizazz' so to speak. They've got a 2 million dollar budget...they'll have a large large pool of interested candidates.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think they or any of their boosters will get excited about snagging the HC from UNT who just 5-7 in the Sunbelt. Plus I think they'll look at Mac's overall record and pass. I think they'll go after a coach that has some 'pizazz' so to speak. They've got a 2 million dollar budget...they'll have a large large pool of interested candidates.

Somehow, Arizona State got hard for a guy who was sub-.500 and never managed to get more than 8 wins at his previous job.

I dont see Mac leaving after one year. He said he was offered plenty of coaching jobs in the past and Smu isnt an upgrade from UNT. If he leaves its going to be a top program, just like Sumlin and A State coach, and Jones did. Well Sumlin is in the works of leaving but hasnt left. But I dont see him leaving, like I said before he'll be here for the long haul just like Patterson and Peterson are at there schools

Somehow, Arizona State got hard for a guy who was sub-.500 and never managed to get more than 8 wins at his previous job.

Maybe so but I think the jobs he did at those schools considering the state they were in when he took over is something a lot of teams are probably putting value on. Not sayin JJ is worth a ton of money but I can see why they'd be more inclined going with a June Jones versus a Coach Mac or someone like him.

I dont see Mac leaving after one year. He said he was offered plenty of coaching jobs in the past and Smu isnt an upgrade from UNT.

I hate to say it but SMU is moving to an AQ conference in 2013 and has about $2 million to spend so it is probably an upgrade. I wouldn't blame Mac for leaving for more money and a chance at a BCS bowl if he wins his conference. UNT just can't offer that at present.

I hate to say it but SMU is moving to an AQ conference in 2013 and has about $2 million to spend so it is probably an upgrade. I wouldn't blame Mac for leaving for more money and a chance at a BCS bowl if he wins his conference. UNT just can't offer that at present.

if people would buy tickets and show up to the f'ing games, we could afford him...

• Upvote 3